[NA] Any insights to the Honda Insight?

AggieMike88

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
The original "I don't know it all" of aviation.
I am considering a replacement car and it be a hybrid. So far, my research has me looking at Toyota Prius and the 2019 Honda Insight Touring.

Much of what is said about the Insight Touring in online and video reviews is very positive. And the negatives listed are either small, don't apply, or something I can easily live with.

We have had some good conversations about cars and trucks in past threads. So I'm curious what the resident peanut gallery might have to offer on the Honda Insight.

It gets good reviews. I'm sure it's a good car :). But I just cannot stand its(or pretty much any current Honda) looks. However, current Prius is a lot worse looking. I know, it's subjective.

I have owned 5 Prius, through my business, and they were all reliable, though they are definitely not the prettiest car.

Well, given the choice of roughly-equivalent Honda and Toyota models, I'll choose the Honda every time, for the incredibly good engines Honda builds, for better styling, for ergonomics and for an almost-always-better dealer experience.

I like the Insight over the Prius, but I don’t think you’ll regret either one.

Actually the new Honda Insight isn’t a bad looking car. I didn’t realize they updated the styling.

Never driven one but I really like the Insight over the Prius. Not sure what Honda was thinking with the Clarity but I think they did an excellent job in designing the newest Insight. Great reviews on it as well.

Actually the new Honda Insight isn’t a bad looking car. I didn’t realize they updated the styling.

GOOD!! They needed to, it was so butt-ugly before that I haven't even searched for a new one, 'cause ol' Google would sure bring up pictures of the "old" uns!

It’s better, but still not good looking. Just not nearly as bad. It’s got the same stupid shiny front grill as accord and civic. It looks better when blacked out, however. It’s just overdone. But that’s Honda for you. The go from boring to overdone and back to boring. Can’t quite nail it.

I also personally don’t like the sloping down trunk in general

Prius styling is just bonkers. No idea what Toyota was thinking.

Not sure what Honda was thinking with the Clarity...

Neither Karen nor I thought the Clarity was as ugly as everyone says it is:

upload_2018-11-27_9-48-31.jpeg

Still, no accounting for taste!

But seriously, lots of road tests of the new Insight on YouTube, mostly very favorable.

Last edited:
Hyundai Ioniq or Kia Niro.

Hyundai Ioniq or Kia Niro.
Ummmm.... No....

The reviewers I've been reading and watching aren't saying good things about those two models. And from a used parts supplier perspective, both of those brands are not producing good components for the cars.

So the Ioniq or Niro won't be on my list.

Ummmm.... No....

The reviewers I've been reading and watching aren't saying good things about those two models. And from a used parts supplier perspective, both of those brands are not producing good components for the cars.

So the Ioniq or Niro won't be on my list.

I have no idea about component quality of cars, however, the reviews I read seem to put Ioniq at least on par with Prius. Honda tends to come a bit on top. Ioniq will be considerably cheaper than either Insight or Prius. Probably better optioned and with a much longer warranty. Also Ioniq has a much better MPG than Insight.

https://www.caranddriver.com/hyundai/ioniq (Editor's Pick)

EDIT: Honda and probably Toyota will be a better dealer experience for sure :)

Checked those out, but the EV range on both comes up short.

Ioniq plug-in EPA is 29 EV Miles. I don't think Insight is plug-in at all, so 0, and Prius plug-in is 25....

Neither Karen nor I thought the Clarity was as ugly as everyone says it is:

View attachment 69510

Still, no accounting for taste!

But seriously, lots of road tests of the new Insight on YouTube, mostly very favorable.

...only that this is not a Honda but a Citroen CX, one of the most iconic European cars:
citroen-cx_1426-1.jpg

When it was introduced it was on the cutting edge of automotive aerodynamics and technology: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citroën_CX

The Prius is definitely the better option to virtue signal.

Life is way too short to drive boring cars.

Life is way too short to drive boring cars.

What’s the point in having a high performance car if you can’t drive it that way? Few months back a guy got arrested in Atlanta for doing 100 MPH in his Vette. I’ve thought about getting a sports car but if I can’t spin the tires and hit 100 + MPH without getting a ticket, it’s a waste of money.

What’s the point in having a high performance car if you can’t drive it that way? Few months back a guy got arrested in Atlanta for doing 100 MPH in his Vette. I’ve thought about getting a sports car but if I can’t spin the tires and hit 100 + MPH without getting a ticket, it’s a waste of money.

Little off subject, but.

1. You don’t need to go 100 mph to enjoy a sports car. Just need to get a correct sports car

2. It’s both fairly inexpensive and easy to take the car to the track

Little off subject, but.

1. You don’t need to go 100 mph to enjoy a sports car. Just need to get a correct sports car

2. It’s both fairly inexpensive and easy to take the car to the track

Well I suppose there’s the whole acceleration thing but I would want to explore the limits of the vehicle. Limits during every day driving and not track driving. I guess driving in Germany spoiled me.

...only that this is not a Honda but a Citroen CX, one of the most iconic European cars...When it was introduced it was on the cutting edge of automotive aerodynamics and technology...
citroen-cx_1426-1.jpg

Only because they were upgrading from this: :D

IMG_0440.JPG

I know.

But I’m considering buying a couple of Citroën emblems just to throw people off!

Had a friend who strategically placed a BMW emblem sticker on the hood of her Renault 5. One day she got a parking ticket and the cop wrote it up as a Bimmer. She was so damn proud of that ticket.

Need better situational awareness

I'd go drive it before I got too involved in making a decision. Honda uses kind of a different system where most of the time you're running on the electric motor, but some of the time the engine is applying power directly to the wheels. Depending on your driving style, you may not like the way that works.

I've not driven it so I can't comment.

Well I suppose there’s the whole acceleration thing but I would want to explore the limits of the vehicle. Limits during every day driving and not track driving. I guess driving in Germany spoiled me.

You have a very narrow view of a “sports cat”.

It’s fun to drive a slow car fast. Think Miata, not Corvette.

Even with fast cars, you can enjoy the speed and handling without getting arrested. if you pay attention and be smart.

I’ve been driving fast cars(current is near 200mph capable) and faster motorcycles for many years. Never arrested and haven’t had a ticket in well over a decade. Most of my car tickets were in “slow” cars when I was young and dumb. I’m not driving any slower now, just smarter. But I was never into raw speed. Cornering, handling, passing acceleration were always what I wanted out of the car. Sure, I cruise fast enough to be arrested if caught, but it’s not near 100 and it is with situational awareness.

And yes, I’ve driven on autobahn flat out

I just shake my head though when I see people in high performance sports cars taking curves slower than I do in my Jeep. And some of them also drive slow in the left lane! I do think that many people buy them just for their looks or the idea of having a sports car but have no real interest in driving it any where close to its capabilities.

I just shake my head though when I see people in high performance sports cars taking curves slower than I do in my Jeep. And some of them also drive slow in the left lane! I do think that many people buy them just for their looks or the idea of having a sports car but have no real interest in driving it any where close to its capabilities.

You’re not wrong, but I bet there are a lot more people driving “never got muddy Jeeps” out there.

There was a Mclaren driving next to me on the interstate a couple months back. I thought, what a beautiful car but yet here you are going 45 mph in stop and go traffic with the rest of us. We came up on the last stop light on top of a hill and he took off like a bullet! I crest the hill and see a cop car with lights flashing in hot pursuit. Busted! :D

Yeah, that and guys in big SUVs and four wheel drive pickups that slow down to about a half a mile per hour to go over speed bumps.

Back