[NA] Am I a Racist? [NA]

I knew 3 guys at my work,,,
I get them mixed up,,
It took 5 years of very careful deep thought, and practice,
to get the names sorted out and used right...

Every single human being IS a racist. It's in our DNA to look for and be wary of anything different than our own tribe - even among people of the same skin color. It's a form of a survival mechanism. It's deeply imbedded in our genetic code. Perhaps in a few thousand years we'll outgrow it.

Racist? I do believe some races are inferior to others and some that I simply do not care for at all.

For example in NASCAR I do not care for the restrictor plate races and in Indy Car I don't care for the street races.

Here's what my father told me before I left for college about racism and prejudice.
Dad: Let's talk about race relations
Me: I'm good with it, I have been on several sports team with minorities, in fact I'm the minority on the soccer team and had to take special Spanish lessons to learn the lingo
Dad: I'm talking about prejudice, we all are prejudice
Me: I don't think so
Dad: If you walked into a room and your brother was in a fight who would you help.
Me: Which brother? Ok, I would help my brother.
Dad: Even if he was wrong
Me: You didn't say that
Dad: Exactly, you are prejudice to favor your family, people you know, people that look like you and people you would like to be like. As a lawyer, I have to deal with this everyday and overcome it in the jury's and witnesses I work with. It is incumbent on you especially now that you are becoming an Naval Officer to recognize your prejudices and to actively work against them to be fair in all you do. Take another second before you speak to filter out the prejudice in what you are saying to this or that person. You can say anything you want to your brothers, they deserve it.

Amateurs. That's everyday at my office. Right now we are discussing would you rather lick the sweat off an MMA fighter's stomach for $1,000 or going one round with him for $10,000.
If it's Ronda Rousy (sp) I'll lick the sweat, my brain is too fragile to get my head kicked in for 5 minutes!! I'd tap out when the bell rang!

I was at the airport and some guy called @SixPapaCharlie called me trailer trash because of my RV.

Sure, we're both white. But I think he was giving me a cirrus-dis. cirriously!

a friend (ethnic Chinese from HK) lived in dallas two children mother Chinese also went to HK to visit family, tired got to hotel, went to rest, told one of the children "go look for uncle Joe whi is coming to the lounge and bring him up"
20 minutes later son comes back alone. Father asked -what happened?-
Son's response: don't know, could not find him, they all looked Chinese to me.....

I was reading somewhere in the Facebook the other day that if you are white you are a racist and there is nothing you can do about it, and that if you disagree you are extra racist...

In Charleston for the weekend and on the battery there are a few guys standing around with confederate flags and a couple playing dress up in confederate uniforms. There also is a pickup truck with a large flag pole mounted to the truck bed flying the same rebel flag.

Racists?

Practically guaranteed.

Felt sorry for the wife when she had to explain all of it to her parents after they asked about it.

The reality is is that caucasions are easier to differentiate. Asians, east indians, blacks, and mexicans do indeed have fewer differentiating physical characteristics than us white folk. ie. dark hair, darks skin, dark eyes. So what. no big deal. And yes it is understandable why you would confuse someone who looks similar as someone else. It happens to everyone.

I don't know, all you white boys look like some kind of law to me. (Or at least maybe cirrus drivers)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Technically that would make you a bigot, not a racist. To be a racist you need to hold a position of power over the person.

No Way!! To be a racist you need to drive fast and turn left. Get it right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In Charleston for the weekend and on the battery there are a few guys standing around with confederate flags and a couple playing dress up in confederate uniforms. There also is a pickup truck with a large flag pole mounted to the truck bed flying the same rebel flag.

Racists?

Practically guaranteed.

Felt sorry for the wife when she had to explain all of it to her parents after they asked about it.

Explaining it ALL would typically take you far afield of anything that flag represents in a pickup truck today. If she really did that she'd probably teach the people in the pickup truck something. Ha.

The story starts with a legal secession... and a new country firing on a foreign power's fort they refused to vacate.

It took another two years after that for slavery to even be a significant discussion in relation to the War, and that only after Lincoln realized he needed the anti-slavery votes in Congress to continue a war many didn't want. April 1861 to January 1863. He surprised everyone with the Emancipation Proclamation.

There's a lot more historical evidence he wrote it to garner votes than he personally was that big a believer in the anti-slavery movement of the time. But he really needed those votes.

Hell, my family was shunned by the powers that be at the time, too. German Catholics who went to the far west of the Dakotas to be left alone by the British twits of the eastern cities who wanted nothing to do with them. Go homestead somewhere else, out west please... we don't like you speaking German here in east coast cities. We aren't real happy you're Catholic either. We killed all the natives out there for you, so head west and leave us alone. Ha. Brits.

(The family patriarch was ex-communicated if that makes anyone feel any better hahaha. He got a *gasp* divorce and had a temper. Unforgivable sins at the time. So he spent the family fortune garnered by running a town poll hall and bar, on building a Methodist church in a town too small for two churches. Hahaha. If nothing else, Germans are stubborn asses you don't want to make enemies of. That hasn't changed much in history!)

The modern destruction of Civil War history is misplaced also somewhat deplorable and likely to have some interesting and bad backfire effects. Virtually none of those generals or their men deserve the disrespect current leaders are giving them.

Modern racism has very little to do with war statues. Truth be told, they're not even symbols of racism. The people who erected them were simply grateful that soldiers gave their lives defending what they legally voted to be, a new country.

That their flag was usurped over time to stand for some things that weren't really what it originally stood for, is deplorable, but tearing the statues down, is distasteful even to this dumb Yankee, who knows those statues weren't symbols of racism in any way. Those were military hero statues. Very few racists in that bunch. Their own words can be read to confirm that.

It's an interesting attempt to re-write history. Which ironically, we've seen in history before.

The attempt usually ends up successful for a while, and then it's used very successfully against the opportunists who did it for modern reasons.

The flag, that's messier. Mostly because politicians want it to be. That will probably backfire too. Dumb move on their part, but they'll be long gone and enjoying a public paid retirement before they have to deal with any consequences. Making fake hay while the sun shines.

I'm surprised your assumption was racism as their reason for the modern folks being there in public dressed up or whatever. Why do you think that? What were they doing or saying that would indicate racism was their reason for being there?

Asking mostly coming from a place of being a solidly Yankee family history but knowing there's a lot more depth to the real history of the Civil War than the modern sound bite version that it was simply about slavery.

What was the indication they were racists?

Either votes count or they don't in a representative republic. The State's representatives voted to secede. Very few historians disagree that seven States voted to secede prior to Sumter and their Senators then resigned.

The head of SCOTUS at the time even said it wasn't Treason. Stanton (and to a lesser extend Lincoln because of Stanton's influence) wanted to put Davis on trial for Treason. SCOTUS members sent the Chief Justice over to specifically warn them they wouldn't win that case, when they heard Stanton and friends were pushing for it post-war. Legally, the Attorney General couldn't meet the standard for Treason.

Technically most of the secession happened under Buchanan and he thought use of the Federal Army in such a situation to be Unconstitutional. Being that he was a lame duck anyway, he mostly just wanted to punt to Lincoln who's inauguration was coming a month later.

Lincoln needed public opinion to start a war, and played the whole thing like a fiddle. Continuing to send supplies to forts in the newly formed nation, under the guise of "humanitarian aid" (sound familiar to any modern times games?) "just feeding hungry soldiers" forced the Confederacy to attempt to stop those shipments at Charleston and eventually shell Sumter (a battle in which no one died, although two died during an accidental explosion during the gun salute after it was over) which was then placed in the Northern papers as "South shoots first!"

Just like "news" is manipulated today for specific emotional reactions, it was certainly going on back then, as well. No surprises or any better human nature back then or now. True, yes. Left out the things that led up to it? Absolutely. Totally normal for humans though.

I'm still curious why someone decided modern folk dressed in costumes were "likely" racists. In Charleston, you're pretty much at ground zero for the secession vote since NC was first, and triggered the other six state's votes, and there's a lot of actual history there in the harbor itself of course, with Sumter.

I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest to see folks with flags and dressed in period costumes in Charleston, but I wouldn't have any evidence one way or another in modern times that they were or weren't racists, without talking to them.

Seems a bit over the top. Like most claims of racism.

Again, the above isn't said without the knowledge that the modern uses of the flag by those in pickup trucks isn't often exceedingly stupid and unrelated to the original use and meaning of that flag.

And from one who finds making promises to a cloth, rather silly. But The Pledge is a whole different topic.

Either votes count or they don't in a representative republic. The State's representatives voted to secede. Very few historians disagree that seven States voted to secede prior to Sumter and their Senators then resigned.

The head of SCOTUS at the time even said it wasn't Treason. Stanton (and to a lesser extend Lincoln because of Stanton's influence) wanted to put Davis on trial for Treason. SCOTUS members sent the Chief Justice over to specifically warn them they wouldn't win that case, when they heard Stanton and friends were pushing for it post-war. Legally, the Attorney General couldn't meet the standard for Treason.

Technically most of the secession happened under Buchanan and he thought use of the Federal Army in such a situation to be Unconstitutional. Being that he was a lame duck anyway, he mostly just wanted to punt to Lincoln who's inauguration was coming a month later.

Lincoln needed public opinion to start a war, and played the whole thing like a fiddle. Continuing to send supplies to forts in the newly formed nation, under the guise of "humanitarian aid" (sound familiar to any modern times games?) "just feeding hungry soldiers" forced the Confederacy to attempt to stop those shipments at Charleston and eventually shell Sumter (a battle in which no one died, although two died during an accidental explosion during the gun salute after it was over) which was then placed in the Northern papers as "South shoots first!"

Just like "news" is manipulated today for specific emotional reactions, it was certainly going on back then, as well. No surprises or any better human nature back then or now. True, yes. Left out the things that led up to it? Absolutely. Totally normal for humans though.

I'm still curious why someone decided modern folk dressed in costumes were "likely" racists. In Charleston, you're pretty much at ground zero for the secession vote since NC was first, and triggered the other six state's votes, and there's a lot of actual history there in the harbor itself of course, with Sumter.

I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest to see folks with flags and dressed in period costumes in Charleston, but I wouldn't have any evidence one way or another in modern times that they were or weren't racists, without talking to them.

Seems a bit over the top. Like most claims of racism.

Again, the above isn't said without the knowledge that the modern uses of the flag by those in pickup trucks isn't often exceedingly stupid and unrelated to the original use and meaning of that flag.

And from one who finds making promises to a cloth, rather silly. But The Pledge is a whole different topic.
I suppose the secession just happened in a total vacuum...

I was assuming they were involved in a re-enactment. How on earth is that racist? A bunch of Civil War nerds.

I suppose the secession just happened in a total vacuum...

What's that got to do with whether it was legal or not? I didn't defend their reasons for doing so.

Remember, my family was busy starving and freezing to death in the Dakotas and "enjoying" the farmland there in winter that they were told to go to by the east coasters and their "civilization". Haha. I think they "only" lost three babies on the farm. Go out there and die Germans. The coasties have civilized stuff to do here. Like start wars and such.

The only racist in our family back as far as anyone can research, grew up in Illinois, Chicago to be exact, which carries some irony with it to the Western frontier, coming from the "Land of Lincoln". He mellowed with age but never got over his Chicago "experience". (A couple generations later I also was pretty unimpressed with Chicago and wouldn't move back there again for millions of dollars. No thanks.) Dude was a lifelong Democrat, too. Hahaha.

On the broke-ass German side, the family eventually got smart and realized owning the town pool hall and bar was a lot smarter than trying to farm in central South Dakota for a living. Farmers like beer and pool. Good money in selling both.

The other thing that turned out to be quite lucrative was owning road grading and paving equipment, and that hasn't changed much since then. Ha. But was especially good in the middle of nowhere in South Dakota. Yay Eisenhower. "Free" money. Pave the roads and pave them again next summer. LOL.

Too bad the kids all decided to go into trucking and teaching after that and didn't grow the road construction company. Bad career move on their parts, haha.

They'd probably have been multi-millionaires if they'd have stuck to bars, pool halls, and roads. Oh well.

But that's to say, the viewpoint of my family of the Civil War was that it was mostly a British caused and then fought over problem. Nobody in our history has much of any interest or involvement in institutionalized racism other than accepting farmland some nutty Brits ran all the natives off of. And they got out of Germany in between Germany's insane quests to take over Europe and didn't have much to do with that, either. Catholic Germans weren't too much respected by the folks who started those wars, either.

My interest and heavy reading of Civil War materials seems to indicate that most of it was economics. The rich in the South fighting to maintain their (obviously sad) labor force and the rich in the North looking to be respected by Europe as the world changed. Respected by the British Empire and society who, well frankly weren't exactly saints when it came to killing off anyone they met on the globe.

Very little interest nor support of statism and their wars in our clan, going back an awful long time. Dad got sucked into one of their wars via a draft, but other than him, no "proud military history". One grandfather was disqualified from going to WWII by ankle injuries sustained working in the Dakotas (damn near snapped the thing off) and the Illinois one got sent late and spent his time handing his rations to nearly starved Russians long after the fighting was over with.

So a very neutral stance historically on the Civil War and its causes here. Wasn't our battle and still isn't today. My oldest friend on the planet is a black, gay, TV writer. He looks pretty good in a bow tie, too. I give him crap for that. We both know neither of our families grew up wearing ties.

I do find the machinations of the power families on the coasts who grow kids who get jobs like Federal Judge appointments, back then, and today, fascinating... and read quite a bit about it, but they're virtually on another planet from my family and its history. As is the South.

So my question about why someone assumes the doofuses in a pickup truck today in Charleston are racists, is an honest one. Dumbasses for sure. They have no idea what that flag actually represents historically. But jumping to the assumption anyone is a racist, isn't in my nature. Or history.

I was assuming they were involved in a re-enactment. How on earth is that racist? A bunch of Civil War nerds.

I wondered that myself. I have friends who are in a Civil War Regimental band. They're mostly just music nerds who like playing with cannons. Heck, I like watching them play with the cannons. Ha.

Granted, they're usually dressed in Yankee outfits since their period instruments and cannon are historically Yankee pieces, but I don't think they care in the slightest other than that.

The bugle players also volunteer to play Taps at military funerals here fairly regularly. They're not in Civil War uniforms when they do that, though. Showing up with a real Civil War era bugle for that job and not a wimpy trumpet is always a source of pride for them.

What's that got to do with whether it was legal or not? I didn't defend their reasons for doing so.

Remember, my family was busy starving and freezing to death in the Dakotas and "enjoying" the farmland there in winter that they were told to go to by the east coasters and their "civilization". Haha. I think they "only" lost three babies on the farm. Go out there and die Germans. The coasties have civilized stuff to do here. Like start wars and such.

The only racist in our family back as far as anyone can research, grew up in Illinois, Chicago to be exact, which carries some irony with it to the Western frontier, coming from the "Land of Lincoln". He mellowed with age but never got over his Chicago "experience". (A couple generations later I also was pretty unimpressed with Chicago and wouldn't move back there again for millions of dollars. No thanks.) Dude was a lifelong Democrat, too. Hahaha.

On the broke-ass German side, the family eventually got smart and realized owning the town pool hall and bar was a lot smarter than trying to farm in central South Dakota for a living. Farmers like beer and pool. Good money in selling both.

The other thing that turned out to be quite lucrative was owning road grading and paving equipment, and that hasn't changed much since then. Ha. But was especially good in the middle of nowhere in South Dakota. Yay Eisenhower. "Free" money. Pave the roads and pave them again next summer. LOL.

Too bad the kids all decided to go into trucking and teaching after that and didn't grow the road construction company. Bad career move on their parts, haha.

They'd probably have been multi-millionaires if they'd have stuck to bars, pool halls, and roads. Oh well.

But that's to say, the viewpoint of my family of the Civil War was that it was mostly a British caused and then fought over problem. Nobody in our history has much of any interest or involvement in institutionalized racism other than accepting farmland some nutty Brits ran all the natives off of. And they got out of Germany in between Germany's insane quests to take over Europe and didn't have much to do with that, either. Catholic Germans weren't too much respected by the folks who started those wars, either.

My interest and heavy reading of Civil War materials seems to indicate that most of it was economics. The rich in the South fighting to maintain their (obviously sad) labor force and the rich in the North looking to be respected by Europe as the world changed. Respected by the British Empire and society who, well frankly weren't exactly saints when it came to killing off anyone they met on the globe.

Very little interest nor support of statism and their wars in our clan, going back an awful long time. Dad got sucked into one of their wars via a draft, but other than him, no "proud military history". One grandfather was disqualified from going to WWII by ankle injuries sustained working in the Dakotas (damn near snapped the thing off) and the Illinois one got sent late and spent his time handing his rations to nearly starved Russians long after the fighting was over with.

So a very neutral stance historically on the Civil War and its causes here. Wasn't our battle and still isn't today. My oldest friend on the planet is a black, gay, TV writer. He looks pretty good in a bow tie, too. I give him crap for that. We both know neither of our families grew up wearing ties.

I do find the machinations of the power families on the coasts who grow kids who get jobs like Federal Judge appointments, back then, and today, fascinating... and read quite a bit about it, but they're virtually on another planet from my family and its history. As is the South.

So my question about why someone assumes the doofuses in a pickup truck today in Charleston are racists, is an honest one. Dumbasses for sure. They have no idea what that flag actually represents historically. But jumping to the assumption anyone is a racist, isn't in my nature. Or history.
Well things didn't start with a legal secession. Things progressed to a secession and went downhill from there.

Nate, any chance you could start submitting a Cliff's notes version in addition to your usual post? I like what you have to say but really only read about 10% of what you post. I normally visit the forums when I don't have the concentration or time to do my normal reading, so you're kind of putting me in a weird situation. :dunno:

This made me chuckle. Politicians. Never. Change.

aa5b7b18ebfb5506e745d1cb1a745fa2.jpg

Well things didn't start with a legal secession. Things progressed to a secession and went downhill from there.

What specifically was illegal about it? I'm game. Seven States called Conventions and their delegates voted to leave.

Later SCOTUS unanimously told the Attorney General not to prosecute for Treason.

I'm not a lawyer nor do I play one on TV, but I tend to think a unanimous SCOTUS warning sent over in person by the Chief Justice, isn't going to be a winning legal argument.

That's why Lincoln had to abuse Executive power without a War declaration to rescind Habeas Corpus -- even he as a lawyer knew he was treading on pretty thin legal ground. Nothing in the founding documents forbade States leaving the Union if they so desired. It was in fact, quite expected and provided for.

You know? The topic is too heavy.

Some south "bashing" (otherwise known as a joke, but we live in PC-land now and I've learned the lingo!) might be more fun! ;)

918fd0c3102d0374841871d11655a3cd.jpg

What specifically was illegal about it? I'm game. Seven States called Conventions and their delegates voted to leave.

Later SCOTUS unanimously told the Attorney General not to prosecute for Treason.

I'm not a lawyer nor do I play one on TV, but I tend to think a unanimous SCOTUS warning sent over in person by the Chief Justice, isn't going to be a winning legal argument.

That's why Lincoln had to abuse Executive power without a War declaration to rescind Habeas Corpus -- even he as a lawyer knew he was treading on pretty thin legal ground. Nothing in the founding documents forbade States leaving the Union if they so desired. It was in fact, quite expected and provided for.
You are assuming that I'm arguing the legality of secession. I am not. I am pointing out that the secession occurred because of disagreements about choosing a way of life at the state level vs a national level and racism was definitely included in those choices. In other words one should look at the motivations for secession vs. the motivations for union. Things did not start with session and they did not end with the confederacy vanishing. The hatreds remain to this day in some areas. I would not make assumptions about reenactors either way with respect to their politics. Some folks like to dress up and play soldier. When a Caucasian flies a giant confederate flag in the back of their truck then I will make an assumption about their politics because they shouting out to the world what those politics are. Now those politics may fall in a wide spectrum however none of them are good in my book. Am I bigoted with that opinion? You bet. I hate racism. It's at the heart of so many wars. It is so wasteful. It's part of human nature but we must overcome it for our own good.

Okay, enough time on the soapbox. Next speaker.

When a Caucasian flies a giant confederate flag in the back of their truck then I will make an assumption about their politics because they shouting out to the world what those politics are.

I'm going to get the banhammer for this but it deserves to be posted.

An actual campaign logo... from 1992.

8d98c9d1079eb4f6b6e00306677fe158.jpg

LOL. Flags. So misused and abused.

Tomorrow is Flag Day isn't it? ;)

I like this flag personally, but I can't seem to get it to fly so that you can read it.

Must have missed something in the FOM (Flag Operating Manual). Hmm. Will check.

9291e6a34ca8714d9d00e7e4ad1847bf.jpg

If you think that deserves to be posted then so does this. Anyone can make a button.

http://www.snopes.com/clinton-gore-92-confederate/

Yep. But only politicians need buttons with flags on them, generally, to maintain their line of work.

Well, if one can call it work.

And they always have impressively weak memories of whatever folks did to get them elected. Ha.

Can't start wars over racism without 'em. Bless their hearts.

I found another monument to slavery we could ask the politicians to tear down... LOL... I don't think they'll be too interested.

a2fb16c7b1fcf86884f172d14b1a685f.jpg

Yep. But only politicians need buttons with flags on them, generally, to maintain their line of work.
So you don't think that it's possible for someone to make prank buttons, or other items, to discredit various politicians or other people?

So you don't think that it's possible for someone to make prank buttons, or other items, to discredit various politicians or other people?

In the specific:

I think it unlikely in the specific case above, since the whole Confederate flag thing is a more modern "outrage", and Dukes of Hazard was top of the Friday night national TV rankings in 1985.

In the general:

Politicians discredit themselves so regularly that it almost doesn't matter for anyone to even try to do it.

As in the Lincoln example above. He didn't actually free anyone. He just kinda acted like he wanted to.

But heh, that and getting himself shot by a wacko thespian was enough to get him a nice marble monument built with what would be about $79M in tax dollars, today.

Gotta keep those slaves busy building big marble buildings. America seems to like the ones that are done up in Greek Revival architectural style.

They'll make for interesting ruins for future humans to walk through. All those nice columns. Just like in Greece. LOL.

I'm amazed nobody has screamed "cultural appropriation" and torn them down to rebuild them all in Frank Lloyd Wright style yet. Hahaha. Stealing all those lovely columns from the Greeks! How dare they! ;)

Back