(NA) A "well done" for Verizon FIOS service

TMetzinger

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Tim
On Tuesday evening my FIOS router (almost a year old) started freezing up and needing to be reset. Within a couple of hours, the router would not reboot at all.

So I called FIOS service. I had to spend too much time on hold (30 min), but the automated system tested my connection all the way up to the Verizon fiber termination on my house while I was waiting. When I finally got a tech:

He spoke English
He understood the product he was supporting
He respected my knowledge and intelligence
He promised a replacement router by 5 PM the next day.

At noon the next day, a Verizon tech called, said he was 15 minutes away, and showed up in 5. Swapped the router and all was well.

Compared to my previous service experiences with Cox Cable for internet and tv support, Verizon is light years ahead.

I think sometimes we complain too much and don't share the good things.

Compared to my previous service experiences with Cox Cable for internet and tv support, Verizon is light years ahead.

I think sometimes we complain too much and don't share the good things.

Agree.

My experience is exactly the opposite of yours.

Cox gets an A+, Verizon an F-. For me, Cox showed up early, installed promptly, and got things running fast. Verizon never showed.

Maybe it's having service through their "business" rather than "residential" office. Who knows.

Agree.

My experience is exactly the opposite of yours.

Cox gets an A+, Verizon an F-. For me, Cox showed up early, installed promptly, and got things running fast. Verizon never showed.

Maybe it's having service through their "business" rather than "residential" office. Who knows.

:goofy: Yeah! Makes sense for Verizon, 'cause lord knows the consumer telecom market is MUCH more profitable than the business market! (NOT!)

They ALL Suck......I dont like the idea of modems for phone lines (if u r using it for that). Internet no big deal. Power goes out and then you loose phone service.

:goofy: Yeah! Makes sense for Verizon, 'cause lord knows the consumer telecom market is MUCH more profitable than the business market! (NOT!)

Umm... my FIOS service is residential.

Cox was pretty good on the initial install service, but when something broke I was told there would be a three day wait for a tech, and no, I couldn't bring in the bad set-top-box for a swap out. Couple that with at least one service interruption per month on either the TV or the High Speed internet, and I couldn't wait for FIOS. I wasn't eligible for DSL, as I'm too far from the CO. Verizon knew that and told me so when I called and asked.

They ALL Suck......I dont like the idea of modems for phone lines (if u r using it for that). Internet no big deal. Power goes out and then you loose phone service.

Verizon installs a UPS for their FIOS termination equipment - gave me 8+ hours of phone with the power out.

Umm... my FIOS service is residential.

Cox was pretty good on the initial install service, but when something broke I was told there would be a three day wait for a tech, and no, I couldn't bring in the bad set-top-box for a swap out. Couple that with at least one service interruption per month on either the TV or the High Speed internet, and I couldn't wait for FIOS. I wasn't eligible for DSL, as I'm too far from the CO. Verizon knew that and told me so when I called and asked.

Think he was referring to my comment. Perhaps my experience through Cox/Business made a difference.

VZ's Business group was hell. I've heard horror stories about VZ Fios - I'm glad to hear you've been pleased.

I'm convinced that the phase of the moon is the determining factor on the kind of service you get ;)

I can't wait for FIOS. Please, Verizon, bring FIOS to the 'burque!

You know, all this variability in service really makes me think of LM! The key isn't just to be good some of the time, but to be consistently good.

Verizon installs a UPS for their FIOS termination equipment - gave me 8+ hours of phone with the power out.

And we've had power failures lasting 4 and 10 days at our home. The POTS line still worked. Comcast has not, and will not, sell me on VoIP as a replacement for my POTS line.

And we've had power failures lasting 4 and 10 days at our home. The POTS line still worked. Comcast has not, and will not, sell me on VoIP as a replacement for my POTS line.
If I lost power for 10 days, not having a land line phone would be least of my worries.

If I lost power for 10 days, not having a land line phone would be least of my worries.

It comes in handy when you're harranging the power company trying to find out why they've fixed the power lines to within a quarter mile of your house, then gone elsewhere. Or when they tell you that power will be back on in a couple of hours and you know that there's a snapped pole between you and power and they haven't started replacing it yet.

Oh, and we kept two rooms habitable with the fireplace in my office. Went through nearly a cord of wood doing it. And the BIG battery that backs up some of my ham gear still had some charge left when the lights came back on. Boy, was I glad to have juice for the water heater. And the furnace took forever to warm up the house. Amazing what a week and a half of cold soaking the structure does.

It comes in handy when you're harranging the power company trying to find out why they've fixed the power lines to within a quarter mile of your house, then gone elsewhere. Or when they tell you that power will be back on in a couple of hours and you know that there's a snapped pole between you and power and they haven't started replacing it yet.

Oh, and we kept two rooms habitable with the fireplace in my office. Went through nearly a cord of wood doing it. And the BIG battery that backs up some of my ham gear still had some charge left when the lights came back on. Boy, was I glad to have juice for the water heater. And the furnace took forever to warm up the house. Amazing what a week and a half of cold soaking the structure does.
Due the the horrrific localized thunderstorms we had only a few months ago, my brother's house in unincorporated Glenview, IL lost power from Thursday night until he the following Tuesday night. As with you, he knew the nearby power pole was down. He watched as his neighbors got power back days before. Then when ComEd finally showed up to make him almost the last home to get power back, they called for help and had three trucks on the scene. They alledgely got crews from as far away as Tennessee.

ComEd is famous for not maintaining infrastructure and having cut back on repair crews.

Then I walked out in my yard and noted that several of my 30+ trees can reach my overhead power feed. I'm not too far from the village downtown and I'm right on the main road, but I doubt that counts for much.

My brother is getting a generator setup. I plan one, too. I'll also put in a 12 volt backup sump pump, but I doubt I can keep in running for more than a few days.

I don't have a fireplace and wouldn't be able to put one in without major destruction to my "lifetime" tile roof. I think I could rig up inverters, batteries, and UPS to keep some things working.

When I my bought my house as a foreclosure it had cold soaked for over a year. I was afraid that there would be some damage to the walls and pluming, like peeling paint and burst pipes, but that didn't happen. The plumbing had been winterized. The only thing I can blame on the cold is the vinyl tiles which came up off the concrete floor of the laundry room.

Seems like a cellphone would cover all that.

B)

As long as you have a way to charge the battery. That's why I like a hardwired POTS phone. The battery is the phone company's problem.
http://solarstyle.com/index.php, for example.
Now, of course, you could have days without sun, but my cell phone, at least, lasts at least three days without a charge unless I'm constantly on it.

Back