[N/A]Wireless head unit for stereo?[N/A]

gkainz

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Greg Kainz
My grandson's 13th birthday is coming up. He loves music, loves sitting in cars and listening to/playing with car stereos, especially his dad's Pioneer Touchscreen with Graphic Equalizer controls. He's quite the audiophile, has perfect pitch and is taking music composition classes in school.

He has Cerebral Palsy and is in a motorized wheelchair. He has some use of his arms and some finger dexterity. I'm trying to come up with some audio solution that we can fasten to his chair and put a touchscreen on an arm or other mount that can be positioned in front of him, as well as being easily removable to sit on a desk as well.

Does anyone know of a display that can run remote? Wireless would be great but wired would probably work as well. I'm brainstorming the portability of the end result, as I'm sure his school would have something to say about him running up and down the hallways with his stereo blasting. And, knowing him, it WOULD be blasting!

Thanks for any suggestions or ideas!
Greg

Well, I guess my question is what do you mean by "audio system"? I mean, he can run all sorts of stuff with a smartphone app/tablet and simply Bluetooth the audio to a wireless speaker. Tons of options from Jabra/Beats Audio/B&O/etc. for portable Bluetooth speakers. He could then just use the smartphone to dabble with audio settings and whatnot. He could also just use a nice bluetooth (or wired) audio headset if he wants great sound without disrupting others.

He could just play music from his phone/tablet. He could control most any modern AVR if at home. I can run (and often do) my Denon X4400h from an app on my phone.

good questions and heck if I know ... Grandpa is stuck in the 70's and here's a sample of my "audio system"

MarantzAudio.jpeg

What I got from his dad was "He loves the Pioneer touchscreen in the truck. Is there any way we can make something like that to put on his desk at home and hang off his wheelchair?"

Last edited:
The first thing that comes to mind is an ipod touch. You could get some pretty good bluetooth speakers that could be attached to the chair and for home use there are plenty of ways to pair one of those up with a modern home stereo system.

Yeah, I'd just find him an old smartphone/8" tablet and an app that had a similar appearance. Same difference as a touchscreen headunit and will bluetooth to a portable external speaker that could be mounted anywhere. A ram mount on the wheelchair would be perfect for something like that.

Tablet attached to chair for nice big controls and either Bluetooth or Aux cable to the car stereo.

Why not a Ram mount for a 8" or larger tablet. Find a cool app Android or iOS that shows the graphic equalizer. The some small speakers mounted on the wheelchair - that would be pretty badass. Driving small speakers right from the tablet's audio out can work but they'd be small. Sounds like you need a small 2-channel amp that's driven off the wheelchair battery :)

Simple amp:
https://www.amazon.com/Bluetooth-Am...ds=12v+stereo+amplifier&qid=1583606804&sr=8-5

App: Dub Music Player

I got a stereo in a box finished in time for my grandson's birthday, and his dad finally got him to do a show and tell on his radio.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/z3q26pkmeszdvk7/Zak-PioneerRadioTour1.mp4?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/8e15tpke21q7r55/Zak-PioneerRadioTour2.mp4?dl=0
cleardot.gif

I think that's awesome @gkainz!

And I'm not talking about the Journey song. I'm talking about getting music in the youngsters life.

Back