N/A the 5 movie Q

sierra

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
sierra
I just joined this awful Columbia House DVD club. I'm going to get the four pay-for movies and quit, but I had the urge to get a few movies I really liked.

These were my 5. I had a hard time with it. There was stuff I wanted not on the list that I could find.

The Princess Bride Special Edition
Mostly Martha (Fuenf Sterne) (of course, in German)
Four Weddings and a Funeral
Chitty Chitty Bang Bang
I Remember Mama
(which I've never seen but a Gentleman at my train station recommended)

If i'd seen October Skies it would have gone on there as the Optional 6th... or taken the place of Hugh Grant, more likely...

What would your five be?*

*you have to use the columbia house site to answer the Q

sierra said:
I just joined this awful Columbia House DVD club. I'm going to get the four pay-for movies and quit, but I had the urge to get a few movies I really liked.

These were my 5. I had a hard time with it. There was stuff I wanted not on the list that I could find.

Chitty Chitty Bang Bang
I Remember Mama

If i'd seen October Skies it would have gone on there as the Optional 6th... or taken the place of Hugh Grant, more likely...

Yellow Beard
Alien
Alien IV
Air America
The Meaning of Life

1935 version, Mutiny on the Bounty, Charles Laughton & Clark Gable
Moby Dick, Gregory Peck as Ahab
The Great Escape, Steve McQueen
The Memphis Belle, William Wyler Production, 1943
12 o'clock High

For giggles:
It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World
Scavenger Hunt
Rat Race
The Blues Brothers
The Kid, with Bruce Willis and Lily Tomson

For me - its gotta be:

Rocky
Rocky II
Rocky III
Rocky IV
Rocky V

My favorite series of ALL time

corjulo said:
first star wars
The First first one or the fourth first one? Or is the fourth first one really the First first one? I get so confused... ;)

This changes almost daily for me, usually based on moods...

Open Range (great Western)
Dave (ie what I would do if I were President)
Memphis Belle (the newer one, I'm not into old movies)
Monty Python's Holy Grail
Star Wars: Return of the Jedi (episode 6) (yeah, kinda 'glitzy' in a lot of ways but it's pretty hard to beat good space battles, good lightsaber fights, a bunch of teddy bears taking down an Imperial Army and dancing at the end of the crash of a dictatorship not to mention one hot princess chick on the end of a leash wearing next to nothing *growl*)

Brian Austin said:
This changes almost daily for me, usually based on moods...

Open Range (great Western)
Dave (ie what I would do if I were President)
Memphis Belle (the newer one, I'm not into old movies)
Monty Python's Holy Grail
Star Wars: Return of the Jedi (episode 6) (yeah, kinda 'glitzy' in a lot of ways but it's pretty hard to beat good space battles, good lightsaber fights, a bunch of teddy bears taking down an Imperial Army and dancing at the end of the crash of a dictatorship not to mention one hot princess chick on the end of a leash wearing next to nothing *growl*)

Yeah, Princess Leia on a leash was hot! But, you crack me up, you say you're not into old movies, then you mention Holy Grail. Dude, I was in HS when that came out. OTOH, mebbe you're saying I'm not old?

Some background on the '43 version of Memphis Belle: William Wyler was a Hollywood-type attached to the AAF 1st Movie Div. As such he rode with various bomber crews on actual raids. As it became apparent the Belle was gonna' be first to finish he rode with Morgan's crew more often. The movie was the culmination of over 20,000 feet of wartime footage. Crew voices were dubbed in later back in London. The AAF wanted the movie released ASAP as a morale booster for the folks back home.

1. Patton
2. A Bridge Too Far
3. Patton
4. The Longest Day
5. Patton

*my wild card would have to be, The Green Beret

Fast n' Furious said:
1. Patton
3. Patton
5. Patton

So do you have three machines with three screens in sync and surround sound? whoa!:eek:

:D

Well, here are some of my favorites of al time:

Always - Richard Dreyfuss and Holly Hunter
As Good as it Gets - Jack Nicholson and Hellen Hunt
Hunt for Red October - Alec Baldwin and Sean Connery (two of my favorite actors)
Dave - Kevin Kline and Sigourney Weaver
Air America - Mel Gibson and Robert Downey Jr.
Any and all of the Star Wars Movies

But i wouldn't join the club to get these, I already have them.

Jeannie

Fast n' Furious said:
1. Patton
2. A Bridge Too Far
3. Patton
4. The Longest Day
5. Patton

I see a Patton here... um, I mean a PATTERN. :D

1. Doctor Strangelove
2. The Blue Max
3. Charly
4. Shawshank Redemption
5. Hunt for Red October

Not much of a moviegoer but these are the ones I remember.

Erm...

... I like the columbia house dvd club.

I sign in once a month, decline my director selection online, and periodically pre-order movies I want for fair market rates and they show up at my door. Then every so often I get a free one.

What's not to like? :)

sierra said:

Chitty Chitty Bang Bang
I Remember Mama

In order of prefernece:

Goin' South
Blazing Saddles
Aliens
The Milagro Bean War
Centennial

NickDBrennan said:
For me - its gotta be:

Rocky
Rocky II
Rocky III
Rocky IV
Rocky V

Now I know why you wanted to get shocked. :)

Boy this is a tough one:

The Sergio Leone/Eastwood trilogy (Fist Full of Dollars, Few Dollars More, The Good, the bad and the ugly) I count them as one.
The Great Escape
Casablanca
North by Northwest
Twelve O'Clock High
Patton

BTW, my wife really likes all of these too. Yeah right. Well she does like Casablance and NbNW.

Last edited:
try this again Bullet Great Escape Lemans Bridge over over the river Kwi Full Metal Jacket As you can see i like Old Movies and definately a Steve McQueen Fan

Rocky
Rocky II
Rocky III
Rocky IV
Rocky V

My favorite series of ALL time[/QUOTE]
=====================================================

Too bad you were limited to the first five Nick. Hey ADRIAN!!

Dave

Office Space - Should be required viewing by anyone who has ever worked in a cubicle.
Toss up - Field of Dreams, Bull Durham, The Natural - I love baseball.
Shawshank
Dr Strangelove
Full Metal Jacket
2001 - Not so much for the story but for the special effects, which are awesome even by today's standards, and unbelievable for when it was made.

Hmm, lot a Kubrick

Dave Siciliano said:
Nick said:
Rocky
Rocky II
Rocky III
Rocky IV
Rocky V

=====================================================

Too bad you were limited to the first five Nick. Hey ADRIAN!!

Dave
don't tell me I missed something....I'm pretty sure there was no 6...if there was, that would mean there's a movie in the series that i missed!

jkaduk said:
2001 - Not so much for the story but for the special effects, which are awesome even by today's standards, and unbelievable for when it was made.

Hmm, lot a Kubrick

And the special place it has in my life - first date with my wife. Oh, that was a long time ago. :rolleyes:

Fast n' Furious said:
1. Patton
2. A Bridge Too Far
3. Patton
4. The Longest Day
5. Patton

I'll never forget the day my Dad went to see Patton. He served under him in the war and he come home fuming. Said he got up and walked out of the film because it was a the biggest load of crap he'd ever seen.

Still, I enjoy watching it myself.

Back