[N/A] Lawn Tractor Issues

ARFlyer

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
ARFlyer
So aunt mowed with the fuel cap off a few weeks ago. Since then it's be AWOL in the yard. She couldn't get it to start so I walked down and blew out the lines and changed the fuel filter. It ran for about 1000', died and has since sat refusing to run.

Today, I've changed the fuel filter (again), vacuum fuel pump, and the spark plugs for an extra what the hell boost. I can only get the thing to run for about 30 seconds off fuel poured directly into the air intake with the choke on. If I kill the choke it dies. If I change the throttle it dies. If I sit there it dies.

Only thing I can think of now is the carb is plugged.

yup. main jet and idle jet plugged. wunnerful ain't it?

And the crankcase is filled with gasoline now. Welcome to using ethanol fuels.

Cleaned a friend's yard tiller main jet just the other day.
She was about to buy a new one.
Sent me a photo of the 'acreage' she tilled last week.

So aunt mowed with the fuel cap off a few weeks ago. Since then it's be AWOL in the yard. She couldn't get it to start so I walked down and blew out the lines and changed the fuel filter. It ran for about 1000', died and has since sat refusing to run.

Today, I've changed the fuel filter (again), vacuum fuel pump, and the spark plugs for an extra what the hell boost. I can only get the thing to run for about 30 seconds off fuel poured directly into the air intake with the choke on. If I kill the choke it dies. If I change the throttle it dies. If I sit there it dies.

Only thing I can think of now is the carb is plugged.
Girlfriend did the same thing. I found the fuel cap melted to the muffler. Tried starting with the air filter removed?

A while back my Snapper riding mower would only run with the choke on.

It was wonderfully simple to pull, dismantle, clean and reinstall the carb, and that fixed it. It was filthy inside. Briggs & Stratton, BTW.

This reminds me... same woman calls me up to ask me to come over and help her free her lawn mower from some "trees", or so I thought. What she really said was from "a tree". Ever seen a lawn mower stuck in a tree? Here ya go:

Kathy lawnmower in tree.jpg

Kathy lawnmower 2.jpg

Girlfriend did the same thing. I found the fuel cap melted to the muffler. Tried starting with the air filter removed?

Yeah, it is. The carb is a pain to get to as it up under a plastic air intake housing. I might take the bowl off and see if I can use some canned ether to clean it out.

I'm just worried if I take the thing completely off I'm going to screw up the needle positions.

Coincidentally, mowing with the little Snapper at the property today*.

41489571114_8874013c2e_z.jpg

Little guy has been largely bulletproof going on 14 years now!

*Have not moved on a new riding mower yet - will be soon and will report any updates in that thread

Yeah, it is. The carb is a pain to get to as it up under a plastic air intake housing. I might take the bowl off and see if I can use some canned ether to clean it out.

I'm just worried if I take the thing completely off I'm going to screw up the needle positions.
Shouldn't, unless you move the screws for the needles (a thorough cleaning will require that, though you may be able to run gumout or another carb cleaner through there and blast it free). About once a year, usually after shredding leaves, I have to open the carb on the mower and spray it with carb cleaner. It usually stays on the mower when I do that (fairly accessible). The two-cycle equipment tend to need to have the carbs rebuilt every few years.

Put a new engine on it, it's trying to tell you it needs more power

I'd recommend a V8

90% sure I found the issue. The fuel shut off solenoid on the carb bowl isn't working. The plunger isn't being pull down when voltage is applied. So now I wait again till Monday to swing by the only Outdoor Equipment store in town. You'd think they'd be open on a Saturday!

Figured out the issue and it's 100% not the fuel system. The ignition switch is rusted to the point that it doesn't provide a constant 12V. If we jump the switch it runs just fine. So I've used an alligator jumper to bypass the switch while one is in the mail.

Nice work, start simple, the gas cap deal was a false lead, that happens almost every time something goes wrong. New ignition switches are usually pretty cheap.

Back