(N/A) If you could change anything about...

Dang ...you got me there...I can't think of one single thing I would want to change about my job...:D

A lot, but I don't want to overload the system listing them all.

Mandatory retirement age for Flight Attendants.

If you could change anything about your job or daily routine, how would you improve it?

Just one thing out of many:

drop some of the required on-line "training"

Some of the "training" contains information that is just plain wrong. Just a waste of time.

I'm afraid if I changed something, somehow the effect would snowball to include my days not spent on PoA.

Successfully hire a qualified legal secretary.

In many ways being near the top of the food chain is worse than being at the bottom. Not in all, but in many.

When I buy a shirt that fits perfectly so I go back and get another that is the same size and same brand, I would like it to fit the same. Pants too.

I am not sophistcated. I have a closet full of Jeans and black t-shirts. My t shirts used to all be whatever the go to generic brand all the custom T websites use. I found ones that fit perfectly and went and bought more and they all fit differently and shrunk to different shapes.

I switched to Fila t-Shirt after finding one that was perfect. So I go back to the store to get 4 more and the same shirt, with the same tag in the same size, it completely different. both claimed to be like 80% cotton / 20% spandex. The 2nd lot I bought were more like 90% spandex. Same issue w/ my Jeans I wear 30in length. Some drag on the floor and some go above my ankles. These factories need standard size rulers.

Man, I am soo well prepared for old age. Bitching about how my pants fit.

Classic job interview question. I use it all the time. Amazing what people will say.

Oh I was asked that before at an interview. "If you could change anything about your daily routine, what would you do?"

"I'd get a job."

I was asked why manhole covers are round.

I know what they wanted but I went with "Because Man holes are round."

I work for the Air Force...It can't be narrowed down to just one thing...

I'd like the option to fly myself to the facilities I visit monthly, instead of piling in with the other Southwest fliers (nothing against SWA at all, I like them).

Is that when they are able to start saying no to pilots?

All kidding aside, I agree with that rule. So does 99% of the flying public.

Oh, I hear no, from ages 18 on up.

When I buy a shirt that fits perfectly so I go back and get another that is the same size and same brand, I would like it to fit the same. Pants too.

I am not sophistcated. I have a closet full of Jeans and black t-shirts. My t shirts used to all be whatever the go to generic brand all the custom T websites use. I found ones that fit perfectly and went and bought more and they all fit differently and shrunk to different shapes.

I switched to Fila t-Shirt after finding one that was perfect. So I go back to the store to get 4 more and the same shirt, with the same tag in the same size, it completely different. both claimed to be like 80% cotton / 20% spandex. The 2nd lot I bought were more like 90% spandex. Same issue w/ my Jeans I wear 30in length. Some drag on the floor and some go above my ankles. These factories need standard size rulers.

Man, I am soo well prepared for old age. Bitching about how my pants fit.

Buy jeans and T-shirts at All American Clothing Company - best jeans I have ever bought, great T-shirts (including pocket tees, which I like), and all made in the USA.

http://www.allamericanclothing.com/

Being happily retired,would probably like to fly more.

Let me rephrase the question...

If you could improve your day to day routine, whether it's your job, business or just the way you spend leisure time, how would you do it? What single change would make your job, business or daily routine significantly better?

I'm trying real hard not to lead the question. Be as specific as you can, thanks!

ok, that one has me curious. How would eliminating touch-tone phones make things better?

There were no touch-response phone systems before touch-tone phones were invented. I waste an inordinate amount of time drilling down through multiple nested menus of instructions and prompts that almost always lead to the same person who would have answered regardless of which buttons I'd pushed.

Rich

There were no touch-response phone systems before touch-tone phones were invented. I waste an inordinate amount of time drilling down through multiple nested menus of instructions and prompts that almost always lead to the same person who would have answered regardless of which buttons I'd pushed.

Rich

ok. That makes sense. Though, if I may quibble a bit, afterall this is the interweb ;-), it's the mindless touch-response menu hell that you are really in banning.

I'd rather completely eliminate robo-dialers (and telemarketers in general).

Let me rephrase the question...

If you could improve your day to day routine, whether it's your job, business or just the way you spend leisure time, how would you do it? What single change would make your job, business or daily routine significantly better?

I'm trying real hard not to lead the question. Be as specific as you can, thanks!

As a nod to Thoreau, i am in the process of simplifying my life. To me, this means no more a-holes, no more rental properties, and a shrinking list of people who can contact me unnanounced and at THEIR convenience.

In the last 12 months, I:

Closed my facebook account

Created a false phone number to give out to people, which forwards to my cellphone, but only from 10am til 6pm. They get an abrupt voicemail greeting at other hours, and the message is deleted unheard.

Sold 6 of my 9 rental properties.

Went freelance-only, remote-only for my programming work.

Still to do:

Kill off linkedin. God it's hard for a techie.

The other 3 rentals gone.

Finish process improvements at my aviation biz, so I can take some time away. Luckily my DOM is on the mend, so when he's back to full strength, this will happen on its own.

Pay off my primary mortgage, or just let it run out the remaining 3 years on the note.

My goal is apparently to be debt-free, hassle-free, income-positive, and nothing to do, nowhere to go, and should have it all done before I'm 40.

I have no idea what to do AFTER that, but that's a problem to solve in the next tequila shot. :D

$0.02 Curious where counsel is headed with this line of questioning.

I work four hours a day, free insurance and retirement, summers off, over a month off for Christmas and all federal holidays off, no boss and have an indoor driving range set up in my office.....Life is not bad working at a college. The one thing I would change? A tad less paperwork.

ok. That makes sense. Though, if I may quibble a bit, afterall this is the interweb ;-), it's the mindless touch-response menu hell that you are really in banning.

I'd rather completely eliminate robo-dialers (and telemarketers in general).

Yeah, I know. I just figured I'd give you a puzzle to ponder. :D

Rich

Eliminate my commute.

I greatly reduced my commute this year, went from 1.5hrs of commuting/day to 12 minutes/day. It's awesome! I now ride my bicycle to work on nice days, although that doubles my total commute time to 24 minutes.

My new location also allows me to easily walk to at least 20 restaurants, shops, and bars, and I can easily bicycle the whole downtown.

Our monthly car gas expenditures went from $550/mo to $150/mo, but we now eat most of that savings by patronizing local restaurants. I'd much rather give my money to local business owners than to the oil companies and the middle east.

Downside: It's noisier downtown, but that's a trade I can easily live with.

We moved in September, so this coming summer will be exciting, it will be fun to easily attend all of the outdoor events and concerts downtown, I can't wait.

I greatly reduced my commute this year, went from 1.5hrs of commuting/day to 12 minutes/day. It's awesome! I now ride my bicycle to work on nice days, although that doubles my total commute time to 24 minutes.

My new location also allows me to easily walk to at least 20 restaurants, shops, and bars, and I can easily bicycle the whole downtown.

Our monthly car gas expenditures went from $550/mo to $150/mo, but we now eat most of that savings by patronizing local restaurants. I'd much rather give my money to local business owners than to the oil companies and the middle east.

Downside: It's noisier downtown, but that's a trade I can easily live with.

We moved in September, so this coming summer will be exciting, it will be fun to easily attend all of the outdoor events and concerts downtown, I can't wait.

Simplify. Sounds pretty good.

After Tommy went off to college (Tommy, in college!) In 2013, we decided we should consider downsizing from our two-large-for-us house, and after extensive looking and shopping, decided there was nothing on the market that we wanted, so we started making plans to do some renovations to the existing place.

Whereupon, my wife found the place to buy, we bought it, and moved in. By the time Tommy had his first visit home, home had moved, which bothered him not one bit. Me, perhaps a bit more, because the purchaser of the house tour right down to build a bigger house.

New House: no yard, no pool, no drafts, no roof leaks and 1000 ft.² less floorspace. Still too large for us, but it's an improvement.

The move also reduce my commute significantly; typical morning commute is between four and six minutes, while the afternoon commute (which requires that I cross a freeway twice) takes more like nine minutes. I can live with that.

We thought that, with getting rid of the maintenance-intensive house and having our son in college, we would have a lot more time to do fun things; hasn't worked out that way. I am learning to delegate more, and I hope this works; my wife (construction business) is so busy she can hardly see the light at the end of the tunnel, and when she sees it, she is afraid it's a train!

New House: no yard, no pool, no drafts, no roof leaks and 1000 ft.² less floorspace. Still too large for us, but it's an improvement.

Good for you! We did about the same. Went from 3350sq ft to 2000, ditched the pool (thank goodness), and went from 1 acre wooded lot (lots of yard work and leaf blowing) to a very small row house size lot. I can cut my grass with an old fashioned hand reel mower in about 10 minutes.

We did major de-crufting and sold or donated lots of stuff.

We thought that, with getting rid of the maintenance-intensive house and having our son in college, we would have a lot more time to do fun things

We HAVE done a lot more fun things, it's been great! More family/fun time, less chore/commute time. WIN!

Tommy in college? That can't be right! :yikes:

As a nod to Thoreau, i am in the process of simplifying my life. To me, this means no more a-holes, no more rental properties, and a shrinking list of people who can contact me unnanounced and at THEIR convenience.

In the last 12 months, I:

Closed my facebook account

Created a false phone number to give out to people, which forwards to my cellphone, but only from 10am til 6pm. They get an abrupt voicemail greeting at other hours, and the message is deleted unheard.

Sold 6 of my 9 rental properties.

Went freelance-only, remote-only for my programming work.

Still to do:

Kill off linkedin. God it's hard for a techie.

The other 3 rentals gone.

Finish process improvements at my aviation biz, so I can take some time away. Luckily my DOM is on the mend, so when he's back to full strength, this will happen on its own.

Pay off my primary mortgage, or just let it run out the remaining 3 years on the note.

My goal is apparently to be debt-free, hassle-free, income-positive, and nothing to do, nowhere to go, and should have it all done before I'm 40.

I have no idea what to do AFTER that, but that's a problem to solve in the next tequila shot. :D

$0.02 Curious where counsel is headed with this line of questioning.

If I may ask, why would you want to dispose of 9 rental properties? I ask because I had 6, a disagreement with a friend/business partner forced their sale, and now I'm in the process of rebuilding my portfolio. I understand it's a pain dealing with low life tenants, but there are always property management companies to handle the tenant aspect of the business. Great passive income in my experience. I hope to replace my salary with rental income.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If I may ask, why would you want to dispose of 9 rental properties? I ask because I had 6, a disagreement with a friend/business partner forced their sale, and now I'm in the process of rebuilding my portfolio. I understand it's a pain dealing with low life tenants, but there are always property management companies to handle the tenant aspect of the business. Great passive income in my experience. I hope to replace my salary with rental income.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is something unique about being in CA and owning property in ID, whereby the property managers, vendors, and tenants all perceive me as a deep pocket to be picked.

I am convinced that the entire state is a pest-house of trash and thieves, but I think I've just had a particularly bad run of luck.

If you're expanding your portfolio, and yearn for high altitude brain damage, a right-to-die state, yahoos in trucks and gunracks, and potato vistas, I am happy to sell you my remaining 3 units. ~30k in maintenance, repairs, and nonsense all done in the last 3 years, including roof, new sewer lines, and even a sinkhole fixed from the "100 year flood" which was eating the neighbors :mad2:

Recently asking 99k, gross rents are ~1200/mo or so (I'd need to check the latest manager's report), PM if I've sold it well and you're interested :D

Back