[N/A] "Food" for thought

astanley

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Andrew Stanley
This is a brilliant op-ed piece that discusses lunches, and foods, served in many (note I said many, not all, there are exceptions to this rule) of our public schools.

Kimball, the king of all food enthusiasts and gourmands (I'm not going to use the word "foodie", it's like yuppie only worse), is not advocating that we serve steak au poive or haricot verts, however, he is talking about the "offal from the bottom of the processed food barrel" that is so frequently served in our schools.

http://www.boston.com/news/globe/ed...ticles/2005/09/21/the_junk_in_school_lunches/

Discuss.

Cheers,

-Andrew

Jeez, I guess Florida schools aren't last on the list in every criteria. The school lunches in both Duval County and Orange County are not too bad. The vending machines went away from soda a couple years ago. The school propaganda repeats the "healthy eating" mantra routinely.

My 7 year old actually declared himself a vegetarian last spring and ate no meat except the occasional chicken finger for five months. He still prefers hummus or veggie dogs when the rest of us are eating charred animal flesh off the grill.

I had to laugh to myself during our home and school association meeting the other night....long discussion on the epidimic of over weight children followed by discussions of various fund raisers...a coupon book that is about 50% coupons for fast food places...Chik-fil A Night, Chik-fil A lunch once a month and Hoagie coupons. The officer in charge of fund raising kept refering to the fact that the coupons will come in handy as most of us are eating fast food dinners while running from activity to activity.

Very much a disconnect.

Len

Len Lanetti said:
I had to laugh to myself during our home and school association meeting the other night....long discussion on the epidimic of over weight children followed by discussions of various fund raisers...a coupon book that is about 50% coupons for fast food places...Chik-fil A Night, Chik-fil A lunch once a month and Hoagie coupons. The officer in charge of fund raising kept refering to the fact that the coupons will come in handy as most of us are eating fast food dinners while running from activity to activity.
We ran into a fund raiser in little league where you had your choice: take a box of 50 giant candy bars and pay for them yourself ahead of time, then sell them for $1 apiece, or just pay the league an additional $25 and forget the candy. First year, I ended up buying 35 giant candy bars. Ate most of 'em myself. The next year I was smarter. But to be honest, I wish they'd just have charged a higher registration fee and forget the peddling of junk food.

Ken Ibold said:
We ran into a fund raiser in little league where you had your choice:

We do something like that for Cub Scouts...pizza kits...each kid has to sell ten else the parents anti up $70. Being the junior capitalists that they are David and Matthew decided to sell the kits door to door. Of course, dad had to go along. I actually think it is a good thing just requires parental supervision.

Matthew stopped when he hit 10 kits sold. David kept going, he's a heck of a little salesman....19 and counting plus $32.50 in straight out donations.

David's best off the cuff reply to resistance...one lady says "I like both pepperoni and sausage on my pizza" (they come with either one or the other). Without missing a beat David says "Well they are kits so you can take some of the pepperoni from one and add it to the sausage from the other.". I was impressed and the lady was stuck, ka-ching, 2 kits. :<) The sales guys I work with loved that story.

Len

Len Lanetti said:
David's best off the cuff reply to resistance...one lady says "I like both pepperoni and sausage on my pizza" (they come with either one or the other). Without missing a beat David says "Well they are kits so you can take some of the pepperoni from one and add it to the sausage from the other.". I was impressed and the lady was stuck, ka-ching, 2 kits. :<) The sales guys I work with loved that story.

Len

You've got a sharp kid, there.

Back