N/A Current Laptop Deals?

CJones

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
uHaveNoIdea
My mother-in-law will be spending the summer working for a lodge/resort in extreme northern Minnesota. She is looking for a laptop that more or less meets the following specs:

* Built-in webcam. (This is a MUST-have)
* Built-in wireless NIC (WiFi, not Cellular). (I think that's pretty much standard nowadays?)
* No desire/need for MS Office Suite. (She uses MS Works and is happy with it).
* She won't be lugging it around a lot, so screen size would win over mobility.
* Mission Profile: Emailing/surfing 'net. Downloading/editing/sharing/emailing photos.
* Dependable: She (I) am willing to pay more to have something that isn't going to have weird flaky issues coming from cheap components/manufacturer. If she were closer, I could deal with flakiness, but she will be VERY long distance and any tech support from me will have to be via phone. I would much rather only have to deal with 'common' issues rather than the "Why the heck is it doing THAT?!" kind of stuff.
* PC - NO Mac (sorry guys). I have to be her 'support tech', and I don't know enough about Mac's to step her through stuff. And since she will be long-distance, I REALLY don't want to learn on the phone. Don't try to talk me into a Mac, it ain't gonna happen this time.
* Price Range: Max $8-900 range.

I'm just beginning shopping around, but I know some folks here watch the sales ads more than I do, so I thought I would ask here and see if anyone has seen anything recently that might meet this mission profile. I'm mostly looking for specific models/deals that meet the specs. I know most of the dealers/distributors to search through - just seeing if anyone has already searched them for me. ;)

Anything?

EDIT: Also, if there is something that can be 'picked up' at a store rather than shipped, that would be better for me, but not a deal breaker. I would like to be able to go through everything and remove all the mumbo-jumbo that comes pre-installed before she has a chance to get out of sight with it. She will be leaving for the nort' woods in a couple of weeks.

Last edited:
By wireless NIC I presume you're talking wifi not cellular. A number of vendors are offering some good deals between $3-400. If they don't come with a webcam or wifi, those are pretty cheap to add on. Bestbuy, Circuit City, OfficeMax, or a Staples near you? Shop online, get the best deal, pick up instore.
I just got a notebook from TigerDirect. Far more than your Mom wants but Tiger has some good deals, and they UPS overnight. They also have an overstock/returns/discontinued area with even better deals. Shop in your PJs and collect it at your door. Never had a problem with them (4 orders in a year).
You can look for an Acer. I think it was one of the office stores that advertised one for about $400.

By wireless NIC I presume you're talking wifi not cellular. A number of vendors are offering some good deals between $3-400. If they don't come with a webcam or wifi, those are pretty cheap to add on. Bestbuy, Circuit City, OfficeMax, or a Staples near you? Shop online, get the best deal, pick up instore.
I just got a notebook from TigerDirect. Far more than your Mom wants but Tiger has some good deals, and they UPS overnight. They also have an overstock/returns/discontinued area with even better deals. Shop in your PJs and collect it at your door. Never had a problem with them (4 orders in a year).
You can look for an Acer. I think it was one of the office stores that advertised one for about $400.

Yes - wireless NIC = WiFi.. I'll make that change in the OP.

I really want a built-in webcam for her. She has a tendency of losing/misplacing things and the more compact-in-one-box I can get it, the better. ha!

Thanks for the tips, I'll look into them.

of course, for $30 you could add a webcam to just about any laptop

For most people, yes. For my m-i-l, notsomuch. She has a tendency to lose/misplace things and the last thing I want to deal with is her being damn-near International Falls and realize she forgot the webcam in central Iowa. ;) The more 'in-one-box', the better.

There's not a wal-mart in I F ??

For most people, yes. For my m-i-l, notsomuch. She has a tendency to lose/misplace things and the last thing I want to deal with is her being damn-near International Falls and realize she forgot the webcam in central Iowa. ;) The more 'in-one-box', the better.

So you'll want to order an extra power brick you can send her when she loses the first, right? :)

So you'll want to order an extra power brick you can send her when she loses the first, right? :)

And the power cord, CD/DVD drive, the floppy drive (if so equipped), spare battery, USB stick, USB & ethernet cables, phone cord, case, ....camera, MP3 player.

Second the motion for Acer. I've gotten some excellent deals on Acer laptops over the past few years.

They have a few 17" models that are pretty popular with older people. I've sold quite a few with no complaints.

Rich

And the power cord
(super glue it to the brick before sending),
CD/DVD drive,
(built-in)
the floppy drive (if so equipped)
(don't let her have an external one)
, spare battery, USB stick,
Maybe, maybe not.
USB & ethernet cables,
(built-in wireless. Nothing to connect USB )
phone cord,
(for what?)
case, ....
camera,
(Ah, now THAT'S the one! And this is where that USB cable would come in handy, unless you have a memory card reader built into the laptop, in which cast the card is always going to be in either the laptop or the camera. Buy two cards and she'll just swap them rather than take it out and leave it out)

MP3 player.

I'll "third" the recommendation on the Lenovo.... I think the deal Spike found was terrific.

Also, if you still need the "walk in to a store and walk out today" factor, Radio Shack has a decently-equipped Acer for $399.00 after mail in rebate (I hate rebates...). I do not believe it has the built-in webcam, though- those are still pretty rare on lower-cost units.

for $399.00 after mail in rebate (I hate rebates...)

Amen! Can somebody in retail explain rebates to me? The only "purpose" I can see is the manufacturer gambling on the fact that some folks won't send the stuff in on time. Otherwise, just give me the discount on the spot and save yourself and me the hassle of dealing with all the paperwork! GO GREEN!

Amen! Can somebody in retail explain rebates to me? The only "purpose" I can see is the manufacturer gambling on the fact that some folks won't send the stuff in on time. Otherwise, just give me the discount on the spot and save yourself and me the hassle of dealing with all the paperwork! GO GREEN!
Your explanation is good. I also think that they like to make sure they get an accurate customer list, and if you're going to be getting $x, you have a good incentive to give them accurate information.

I got an Acer last December for 379 and spent another 80 or so upgrading the RAM. Works just fine... it's my travel laptop and for what little I do, it works as well as my "nice" one.

They count on "Breakage." More than 40% of people never claim the rebates, then they have companies that specialize is making the rules so convoluted and onerous the rest can be dumped.

I'm consistent at forgetting the rebate and going on with life. I've been burned for hundreds of dollars. I do now mostly remember to walk on a rebate deal now.

My mother-in-law will be spending the summer working for a lodge/resort in extreme northern Minnesota. She is looking for a laptop that more or less meets the following specs:

* Built-in webcam. (This is a MUST-have)
* Built-in wireless NIC (WiFi, not Cellular). (I think that's pretty much standard nowadays?)
* No desire/need for MS Office Suite. (She uses MS Works and is happy with it).
* She won't be lugging it around a lot, so screen size would win over mobility.
* Mission Profile: Emailing/surfing 'net. Downloading/editing/sharing/emailing photos.
* Dependable: She (I) am willing to pay more to have something that isn't going to have weird flaky issues coming from cheap components/manufacturer. If she were closer, I could deal with flakiness, but she will be VERY long distance and any tech support from me will have to be via phone. I would much rather only have to deal with 'common' issues rather than the "Why the heck is it doing THAT?!" kind of stuff.

Y'know Chris, all of the above really points toward a... Y'know...

* PC - NO Mac (sorry guys). I have to be her 'support tech', and I don't know enough about Mac's to step her through stuff. And since she will be long-distance, I REALLY don't want to learn on the phone. Don't try to talk me into a Mac, it ain't gonna happen this time.

What if I offered to be her tech support instead of you? She'd get a better computer, and you'd be off the hook! :yes:

I'll "third" the recommendation on the Lenovo.... I think the deal Spike found was terrific.

I like my Lenovo X61, but it's not what she wants, it's a 12.1" Daylight touchscreen tablet with none of the things she wants. As far as the product line goes though, if the rest are built to the same basic quality, they're good machines. If I was going for a big screen to watch movies and work pictures on though, I'd get a Sony Vaio.

My Acer lives in my backpack and rides with me in my car, on the subway, and occasionally on airplanes. No problems. All of my customers and relatives whom I've equipped with Acers also are happy with them, and I haven't gotten any complaints from people who bought them through my various online stores. I think they're very good values for the money.

The other thing I like about Acer (at least in my experience) is that they seem to come with less crapware than most other vendors.

Rich

Rebates give the vendor yet another cash revenue stream as they sell off your name for a tidy profit. If you don't collect the rebate, they get even more cash from you.
A gimmick to make some of us think they're getting a deal.
Oh, and did I mention they REQUIRE your home address? A PO BOX doesn't cut it for them because they can't fish/phish any demographics on PO BOXes. And the last rebate I looked at REQUIRED a home phone number.

Last edited:
Rebates give the vendor yet another cash revenue stream as they sell off your name for a tidy profit. If you don't collect the rebate, they get even more cash from you.
A gimmick to make some of us think they're getting a deal.
Oh, and did I mention they REQUIRE your home address? A PO BOX doesn't cut it for them because they can't fish/phish any demographics on PO BOXes. And the last rebate I looked at REQUIRED a home phone number.

Wow. Never thought about that part.

That's where Publisher's Clearing House and John looks-like-hes-taking-a-dump Video Professor "try-my-product(ugh!)-fer-free" does it. (In his case he charges enough for shipping and handling that he has to stifle the laugher.)

BTW, I noticed that Kevin Trudeau is back hawking another book o' crap after being shut down for the fourth time. You know. It shows "THEY don't want you to know!" He even talks about the FTC coming after him now.

His reserved spot in hell has to have a personalized brass plaque on it.

Back