My wife called and nagged me because...

I gotta say that's not a very good ad. It depicts a poor outcome. I need some MAGIC that will prevent me from pushing the car. That looks more like a hex or curse.

Get her a bottle of this stuff.

She's upset ,because leaving a car with low fuel,is a women's trick,she thinks your dissing her.

Why don't you guys go get a pedicure together?

:D

Well, she could take a page from my wifely playbook.
1) Drive her car until the gas light comes on
2) go another 30-40 miles before heading home
3) park it in the garage
4) offer to let me take her car to work the next morning (Its a jeep, and I like driving it without the top and doors:dunno:) So like a trained monkey I always say yes and end up filling it up......:confused:

1/2 the time I even throw the few gallons of law mowing juice in it so I dont get stranded.......again.......:mad:

You let your wife have a CAR?!
You let her get her driving LICENSE?!

What's next? Is she is going to want to sleep indoors or something.;)

We are doomed as a society.:rofl:

I must be whipped. I would never leave my wife with less than a quarter tank. If for some reason I had to, I would let her know.

Jim
Hmmmm......I wonder what type vehicle we're talking about here....a friggin tanker!?!?!?

Our Minivan has a 19.x gallon tank. If you drained it down to 1/4 tank, you'd have....lemmee seen here...... a teensy teensy bit less that 5 dammn gallons!

Reference 6PC's thread about how to hide a body....

But....the fuel gage was working before she left also....so she could have seen it and stopped for gas at the beginning instead of driving it until it was almost done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In-tank fuel pumps use the surrounding fuel to dissapate heat. Run around on less than half tank and the pump runs with no cooling. Early pump failure is the result. A very common failure mode.
Nine times out of ten, when I use the wife's Durango, it's on empty...:nono:

This will be specified in the owner's manual. My car recommends refueling beforethe gauge says 50 miles remaining and never below 30 miles remaining (lest many bad things happen). I have serious doubts about the 1/2 tank figure you cited.

This will be specified in the owner's manual. My car recommends refueling beforethe gauge says 50 miles remaining and never below 30 miles remaining (lest many bad things happen). I have serious doubts about the 1/2 tank figure you cited.

Nope, he's right. Go to rockauto.com and pick any car or light truck newer than about 2002, look up the fuel pump. All submerged pumps that like to have fuel cooling them, although it's not in the spec. Yes, it'll run down to 50 miles remaining, but has nothing to do with the workings of the fuel pump. The worst thing you can do is run around with your car on 1/4 tank or less for long times, and only refill a few gallons at a time. I've replaced a number of fuel pumps and it's been a long time since I've seen any external to the fuel tank.

Wanted: Middle-age male seeking new wife with Cessna/Piper/Beechcraft.

Send pictures.

Of plane.

Nope, he's right. Go to rockauto.com and pick any car or light truck newer than about 2002, look up the fuel pump. All submerged pumps that like to have fuel cooling them, although it's not in the spec. Yes, it'll run down to 50 miles remaining, but has nothing to do with the workings of the fuel pump. The worst thing you can do is run around with your car on 1/4 tank or less for long times, and only refill a few gallons at a time. I've replaced a number of fuel pumps and it's been a long time since I've seen any external to the fuel tank.

almost 182,000 miles on the same car (2004), fuel pump replaced about 1year ago. I'm not going to freak out over driving at less than 1/4 tank.

Yes, the manual specifies that this spec is for the health of the pump. I suspect 30miles is due to sediment and/or likelihood of water in the system.

almost 182,000 miles on the same car (2004), fuel pump replaced about 1year ago. I'm not going to freak out over driving at less than 1/4 tank.

Yes, the manual specifies that this spec is for the health of the pump. I suspect 30miles is due to sediment and/or likelihood of water in the system.

Well, it's good that you're not going to freak out. But - notwithstanding your mental state, the situation is that you were wrong to question the 1/2 tank figure. The lower it goes, not only is the pump no longer submerged, but there is less quantity of fuel to dissipate the heat from the pump, and the temp of the fuel can rise to defeat the purpose. It's an engineering thing.

I call bull on 1/4 tank. Yes, in-tank pumps (on most modern vehicles) use the surrounding fuel to cool them. However, they sit at the bottom of the fuel tank and are generally fully immersed with a gallon of fuel in the tank. Running down to 2-3 gallons makes no major difference in the life of the fuel pump. IMO, the major downside to running the tank low is the debris that gets pulled into the pump (and hopefully) caught in the fuel filter. I have run my tanks until 2-3 gallons left in all of my vehicles (6 so far) for just about every fill-up, and my parents' vehicles were run the same way growing up. I've never had to replace a fuel pump with well over 150K on all of them. Granted, a few dozen cars is a small sample size, but the overheated pump is cited as the failure mode for just about any time a fuel pump quits.

I doubt whether it's usually the culprit unless people drive around with 2-3 gallons at a time because they can't afford to buy more than that.

Well, it's good that you're not going to freak out. But - notwithstanding your mental state, the situation is that you were wrong to question the 1/2 tank figure. The lower it goes, not only is the pump no longer submerged, but there is less quantity of fuel to dissipate the heat from the pump, and the temp of the fuel can rise to defeat the purpose. It's an engineering thing.

IIRC my fuel pump was about 2-1/2" high, when removed from the tank. I'm sure there's a lip that allows fuel to keep around the sealing point. How much fuel in most tanks would it to keep it cool? I think far less than 1/2 tank. Submerged vs cooled are different levels.

IIRC my fuel pump was about 2-1/2" high, when removed from the tank. I'm sure there's a lip that allows fuel to keep around the sealing point. How much fuel in most tanks would it to keep it cool? I think far less than 1/2 tank. Submerged vs cooled are different levels.

As Hollywood once said to Goose, "You’re really smart". :yes:

Maybe find something you know about, and then argue about that.

Back