My wife and dog were killed in a car accident. How to get help without revoking medical?

'therapy' from lic. medical professionals is reportable. Get the help you need.
In post #11, the AME Guide is quoted as saying, "The applicant should list visits for counseling only if related to a personal substance abuse or psychiatric condition." Is there any clear guidance on how to distinguish counseling from therapy?

In post #11, the AME Guide is quoted as saying, "The applicant should list visits for counseling only if related to a personal substance abuse or psychiatric condition." Is there any clear guidance on how to distinguish counseling from therapy?
And is temporary, situational depression considered (By the oh-so-lenient FAA) a psychiatric condition?

And is temporary, situational depression considered (By the oh-so-lenient FAA) a psychiatric condition?
Does going to a psychologist for counseling differ from going to a psychiatrist for a diagnosis?

I don't know.

I understand psychologist to be PhD grads who does therapy sessions and don’t have the ability to prescribe any meds. And psychiatrist as MDs who can do prescriptions.

To me the visits to a psychologist is where your issues aren’t physiological, where as the psychiatrist is where there’s something wrong with your wiring.

Looking at it that way you can sort of see which is more serious a problem. Put it another way the psychologist can only help you if you are still basically rational and in control of your mind.

I understand psychologist to be PhD grads who does therapy sessions and don’t have the ability to prescribe any meds. And psychiatrist as MDs who can do prescriptions.

To me the visits to a psychologist is where your issues aren’t physiological, where as the psychiatrist is where there’s something wrong with your wiring.

Looking at it that way you can sort of see which is more serious a problem. Put it another way the psychologist can only help you if you are still basically rational and in control of your mind.

Being a simple-minded engineer, I simplify it this way, with the understanding that there’s some overlap and the two complement one another:

Psychologist - software problems; debugging and reprogramming.
Psychiatrist - hardware problems; troubleshooting and repair.

Title. I am pretty messed up mentally over the whole thing and just want to get right. I have a 3rd class medical and am an owner; flying is my one true passion. Is there any way I can seek help without risking a medical deferral? I haven't flown since the event and don't plan to until I can get my head straight.

I've looked into basic med, but my doctor is not comfortable with it and it's more of a hassle to switch doctors just to check this box off. I will consider this if it's my only option though.

Just a thought: St John's Wort has been studied to be safe for 12 weeks. Plenty take it longer to my understanding, and some apparently claim it to have acted like Prozac. I am not 100% sure if you need to report it since it's herbal. I tried it for a couple months once. It seemed to help some. All the best. Please message if you want to bs or anything.

Get help, get professional help, whether MD or faith or whatever, ignore the folklore around here, ignore the “well, it worked for me”. Flying is at the bottom of your priority list right now. Flying isn’t even on your list.

Taking care of yourself is most important.

I gotta disagree with “flying isn’t on your list”. Abandoning things you are passionate about and make you happy is a great way to enter a negative spiral. Rather, they can be a way to keep your sanity as you figure out how to move past such events. Sometimes just getting an hour where you aren’t dwelling on things can be very healthy. I do agree with taking another pilot or instructor along for awhile, if you choose to fly.

I’m very sorry for your loss, and I do agree that, at the very least, you need someone trustworthy to talk to as you learn to cope.

I gotta disagree with “flying isn’t on your list”. Abandoning things you are passionate about and make you happy is a great way to enter a negative spiral. Rather, they can be a way to keep your sanity as you figure out how to move past such events. Sometimes just getting an hour where you aren’t dwelling on things can be very healthy. I do agree with taking another pilot or instructor along for awhile, if you choose to fly.

I’m very sorry for your loss, and I do agree that, at the very least, you need someone trustworthy to talk to as you learn to cope.

I agree. Don't abandon things you are passionate about. My wife's father who was a pilot died due to medical malpractice. She and I took a night flight after his funeral that became a very special and meaningful memory.

If you are seeing a Licensed Clinical Social Worker, Nurse Practitioner, Physician Associate, Psychologist or Psychiatrist then it is reportable on the visits within the last 3 years area. If it is a non-medical professional counselor or therapist then it does not need to be listed. Even if seeing one of the ones I mentioned, there may not be a diagnosis so the appointments may need to be reported and explained, but not necessarily a diagnosis.

It is completely understandable for a person to have difficulty after a loss like this. If a person self grounds and seeks therapy early they are likely to prevent it from becoming a full blown mental illness. Then, when they are better, they can report the visits (as necessary) and comment something to the effect of "visits for bereavement after a loss of family members; recovered with no diagnosis given" on their MedXPress.

If you are seeing a Licensed Clinical Social Worker, Nurse Practitioner, Physician Associate, Psychologist or Psychiatrist then it is reportable on the visits within the last 3 years area. If it is a non-medical professional counselor or therapist then it does not need to be listed. Even if seeing one of the ones I mentioned, there may not be a diagnosis so the appointments may need to be reported and explained, but not necessarily a diagnosis.

It is completely understandable for a person to have difficulty after a loss like this. If a person self grounds and seeks therapy early they are likely to prevent it from becoming a full blown mental illness. Then, when they are better, they can report the visits (as necessary) and comment something to the effect of "visits for bereavement after a loss of family members; recovered with no diagnosis given" on their MedXPress.
Except that those professionals and their staff are trained to diagnose. It’s how the system is set up. So saying “no diagnosis given” is a crap shoot.

That is why early on people should seek out non-medical counselors. Most people don't initially rise to the level of needing medical professionals. But if things get worse, then it may be time for higher level care as necessary. But otherwise, you are correct. A good mental health medical professional should take many sessions to determine if a true diagnosis is present unless it is blatantly obvious (like psychosis).

Being a simple-minded engineer, I simplify it this way, with the understanding that there’s some overlap and the two complement one another:

Psychologist - software problems; debugging and reprogramming.
Psychiatrist - hardware problems; troubleshooting and repair.
Excellent; as my GF is a clinical psychologist, I'll be stealing this.

The applicant should list visits for counseling only if related to a personal substance abuse or psychiatric condition.
<<<

If the doc lists a psychiatric condition (e.g., depression) as a diagnosis for insurance purposes, is OP headed down the FAA rabbit hole?

I think the advice of seeking help from clergy, at least initially, is solid.

My condolences to you, SadAirman.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back