My whine

Hey Jesse, what aircraft are you in, in your avatar photo?

Bowers Flybaby with a custom canopy. It was my first flight in a Flybaby, a lot of fun.

A Cardinal RG doesn't have much if any more payload capability than a 172 but it does have longer legs and just enough extra speed to make it feel "fast" for a while. Besides, pulling that big round black knob out and flipping it up followed by the whine of the hydraulic power pack makes it feel even faster.

:yeahthat:

I've flown two late model Cardinal RGs (both '76) and neither could do 143 KTAS in level flight. One with speed mods or a pristine airframe could probably make it, those numbers are in the book (I think even 146), but if your bird cruises over 135 KTAS, consider yourself lucky. Mine does 130 KTAS at 10 to 11 GPH. The other one I flew was more like 120.

But I agree it's a great IFR platform -- a little hard to find one that's well decked out by today's standards though. I was lucky in that respect. Speed and climb rate, not so much.

Mine trues out around 138, 7000 feet, WOT, 2400 RPM, leaned by the owner's manual. I might get another 2 or 3 knots at 2500 RPM. The turbo will do 177 TAS up at 17,000 feet I've heard. Add a PowerFlow exhaust and the new Cowl and it is touted to add 5 to 7 knots to book values. I, however, have never purchased acne or anti-wrinkle cream.

The TAT turbo-normalizing mod to the Cardinal is a sweet rig, if you don't mind O2.

I love the Cardinal RG, but still think a perfect one would have an IO540!

...or a manual gear mooney. They're old as dirt and the panels are fugly but some can be had for cheap. Make sure your mission truly is long range, otherwise it's tough to beat the economy of 172/warriors.

Option 1: buy this and stop worrying about headwinds or finding a girlfriend, both will become a non issue. It might even come with the one pictured.

Option 2: find a partner to split this with and fly places that are stacked with eligible women (college towns?)

http://www.controller.com/listingsdetail/printdetail.aspx?OHID=1228099

Or buy this one and save some cash (Some reassembly required)

picture.php

Now you know why I say 'buy your last plane first', it does not take long to out grow a 172 if you intend to travel. You may as well look for a 180kt plane....

And I just happen to have one for sale... :thumbsup:

That plane makes absolute,y no sense, a fixed gear Lancair? I would never buy one.

3/4 of the performance of the retract legacy but 1/2 the price. Makes sense for some.

3/4 of the performance of the retract legacy but 1/2 the price. Makes sense for some.

How is it half the price? You mean the airframe kit is half the price? That may be true but that would mean the total differential will be much lower since a goodly proportion of the price of any experimental is in the power and panel. Like boats, the hull is only a small fraction of the overall cost. In comparison the 25% loss in efficiency is every hour and mile you fly. Figure it costs an extra $12 hr just in fuel. Although since most experimentals hardly ever fly, you may have a valid point for those, but there you have no economic sense whatsoever.

You win. They're 65% of an RG on the used market, he never said he wanted to build.

You win. They're 65% of an RG on the used market, he never said he wanted to build.

Ah, gotcha, you were referring to resale prices, sorry. Hmmm, why do you think they sell so much cheaper? I'd go for an old Lancair 360 with the MkII tail myself.

:yeahthat: I knew someone would chime in with that... ;)

He posted a photo of him and a girl in a Cub today...

:stirpot:

She posted it, I did not. I was doing rides for the folks over at Skyport, and she wanted a picture with me in it.

Typically I'm averse to being in pictures, as it's a 50/50 shot I'll break the camera.

She posted it, I did not. I was doing rides for the folks over at Skyport, and she wanted a picture with me in it.

Typically I'm averse to being in pictures, as it's a 50/50 shot I'll break the camera.

David,

Others have hinted or said so outright but I'm another who wishes that you would stop putting yourself down. You have shown by your posts and the posts of others who know you that in your 17 years you have accomplished more than many folks do in their entire lifetimes. I understand that at 17 and doing things that most of your peers haven't even dreamed of makes you feel "out of step". That is unfortunate but in a few more years they will start to catch-up with your maturity and things will level out. Best of luck to you. I enjoy reading your posts. :)

David,

Others have hinted or said so outright but I'm another who wishes that you would stop putting yourself down. You have shown by your posts and the posts of others who know you that in your 17 years you have accomplished more than many folks do in their entire lifetimes. I understand that at 17 and doing things that most of your peers haven't even dreamed of makes you feel "out of step". That is unfortunate but in a few more years they will start to catch-up with your maturity and things will level out. Best of luck to you. I enjoy reading your posts. :)

This.
Is.
Good.
Advice.

That is all.

Thanks for posting the picture David! Great plane, great looking girl. Life won't get much better!

Is she a pilot, or at least wanting to be a pilot?

She's a CFI.

She's also not my girlfriend though, I don't want to give that impression.

David,

I've met and visited with David and feel that I know him as well as you can get to know someone in an hour over a steak.

I may be wrong, but I think the comments you are referring to are not what they might appear. He seems a well balanced young man. I think comments like the one about breaking the camera are just his way of being modest or something. He seems to be niether over or under confident.

He has the world by the "you know what," and will do well in life.

But it does look like you both have nearly matching sunglasses and a good choice they are. :lol:

Back