My solo cross country is Sunday.

So were there any surprises or things you didn't expect on this flight?

Sport Pilot said:
As you can see from the graph, this is the exact approach procedure that I completed. I hope I did the right procedure

Fiveslide said: Oh yeah, I don't think you did anything wrong in the eyes of the FAA. Just in the eyes of EdFred. I was poking the bear. And that bear's name is @EdFred .

Here's a recent thread on it...

https://www.pilotsofamerica.com/com...-idiots-in-pattern.121859/page-5#post-2809130

Ok good. I even did every radio call; 10 miles out, 5 miles out, my intentions as I came up to H96, downwind, base, and final. That is how I’ve been taught so that’s how I do it.

So were there any surprises or things you didn't expect on this flight?

That is a great question Sinistar.

What I found interesting was the fact that I would land on 18 at one airport, 36 at the other airport, and then 23 on the other.

Not a big deal for some, but I never expected the wind to deviate so much in such a short period of time.

That is a great question Sinistar.

What I found interesting was the fact that I would land on 18 at one airport, 36 at the other airport, and then 23 on the other.

Not a big deal for some, but I never expected the wind to deviate so much in such a short period of time.
Part of why an XC wants you to get away from home, weather can change.

Congrats on your first XC!!

Salty,
That is exactly how the trip went. I was bounced, pushed, and thrown all around. But I was determined to make the next checkpoint.

This is how my first XC went. I climbed out of the airport (and Class B shelf) up to 3500. Really lumpy... climbed to 4500... really lumpy but I was almost to my first airport by then. On the way back decided 3000 might be better - super lumpy. It was so bad that switching frequencies between Approach, ATIS, and CTAF / Tower was a huge task by itself. In the end, the reaction was the same - big grin on my face and hooked for life.

Congrats! I did my first xc back in early spring while working on my ppl, and I remember I too felt different when I landed back at the home airport. That is the day when I first started feeling like a pilot. Your long XC will make you feel even more so. Congrats again!

My first XC (years ago) was KOLM-KKLS-KOLM. 51 nm. And the classic IFR (I Follow Roads) route. I-5 goes from Olympia to Kelso. CFI's attitude was that if you can get lost on this route you need to find a different way to spend your disposable income. We had flown it dual before. Really a non-event. But, it sure makes you feel like a pilot. You've actually gone somewhere else by yourself. It is a great confidence and ego building.

Flew it again later on in training when we realized I was a few 10ths of an hour short on solo XC time. Took the club's 150 (for the last time I flew one) on that one. Flogged it for all it was worth (full rental power!) on the way home to get back before the sun went down. Going south traffic on I-5 was passing me (typical 150 into a head wind).

Back