My quest for my license

Crosswind landings were (are still) my most difficult landing. Learn to stay on the center line. The big runways are forgiving, but you don't want to get complacent. The narrow runways will bite you on a bad crosswind landing.

One could start a debate about the merits of landing (properly aligned) on the upwind side of a wide runway during a big crosswind with those words here! :popcorn:

Might as well give yourself some "screwup room", some would say...

I ain't gonna state a preference. I'm just stirring the pot. :D

June 17th 2011, 11am (1500z), Temp 67 degrees, wind 240 at 9kts, runway 26, KBQR. FIRST SOLO! Did 4 trips around the pattern, then he endorsed my logbook and got out. Then 3 trips around the pattern by myself! I was nervous on the first one, much more relaxed after that. I n the video you'll hear me say "damn!" when the plane lifts off the ground for the first time with me alone in it, 2 things, shock that I'm doing this myself, and shock at how quickly the plane left the ground. Totally different mindset when I'm alone with no instructor to save me, more concentration, more exact on the controls, everything is different. Now the real fun begins!

FirstSolo.jpg

Total time: 27.3hrs
Aircraft: 1976 Cessna 172M
Route: BQR-BQR (3 dual landings, 1 dual go-around, 3 solo landings)
Total time with instructor: 2:00
Billed instructor time: 1:30
Hobbs time 1.2hrs
Tach time 0.6hrs
Fuel used 4.02g

Great Job. IMO, you can now call yourself a pilot. Debate all you want, take a plane up and down without bending something, and your a pilot.

Congratulations!

Question on the video: How do you have the camera mounted? Is it on a tripod back there?

Dude, congratulations. First solo is an awesome feeling :)

Question: Were you taught to fly with two hands on the yoke?

My young instructor would slap my right arm hard if it ever touched the yoke and if I gripped the left with a fist, whoa... look out for the back of the head hit after getting out of the plane.

Last edited:
Dude, congratulations. First solo is an awesome feeling :)

Question: Were you taught to fly with two hands on the yoke?

My young instructor would slap my right arm hard if it ever touched the yoke and if I gripped the left with a fist, whoa... look out for the back of the head hit after getting out of the plane.

He only wants one hand on the throttle during landings. Anywhere else it doesn't matter. On takeoff it's WOT already.

He only wants one hand on the throttle during landings. Anywhere else it doesn't matter. On takeoff it's WOT already.

True that it is WOT, however throttle locks are interesting things and have a habit of backing out during climbs, especially just after take off (when you least want partial power. )Something to think about and discuss with your instructor?

The general practice that is taught is to keep your right hand on the throttle except for the short time you take it off to adjust your flaps or mixture.

At cruise, sure... everything is set, friction lock doesn't have to to work hard etc.

Just a thought. Again awesome on the solo!

Just as a memory back when I was learning and didn't keep my hand on the throttle (only took a few times to teach me to keep hand on throttle)

My instructor would give me engine failures or partial power at about 30 knots or so during ground roll by creeping it out when I wasn't paying attention. As you eat up runway, you realize that you are not producing enough power.

One could start a debate about the merits of landing (properly aligned) on the upwind side of a wide runway during a big crosswind with those words here! :popcorn:

Might as well give yourself some "screwup room", some would say...

I ain't gonna state a preference. I'm just stirring the pot. :D

:yesnod: Yes, that would be a good debate.

Congrats on the SOLO!!! I still remember looking over at that empty seat the first time......... "hmmmmm I better not screw up"

True that it is WOT, however throttle locks are interesting things and have a habit of backing out during climbs, especially just after take off (when you least want partial power. )Something to think about and discuss with your instructor?

The general practice that is taught is to keep your right hand on the throttle except for the short time you take it off to adjust your flaps or mixture.

Gotta second this. Uncovered throttle was the main thing I noticed in your video. Not only has every CFI I've ever flown with stressed one hand on the throttle during the entire takeoff (roll, rotate, climbout) but I've personally experienced a "locked" throttle backing out on takeoff when I took my hand away to adjust flaps or something. Not critical with a long runway and good density altitude but it would really suck to tree yourself on a short field takeoff because the lock didn't quite hold.

Anyway... congrats! :D

Gotta second this. Uncovered throttle was the main thing I noticed in your video. Not only has every CFI I've ever flown with stressed one hand on the throttle during the entire takeoff (roll, rotate, climbout) but I've personally experienced a "locked" throttle backing out on takeoff when I took my hand away to adjust flaps or something. Not critical with a long runway and good density altitude but it would really suck to tree yourself on a short field takeoff because the lock didn't quite hold.

Anyway... congrats! :D

That's funny...I noticed that as well. One other benefit to covering the throttle is that it makes it harder for your CFI to surprise you with engine failures and other such stuff. Mine always had to ask me to remove my hand so that he could simulate an engine failure.

That's funny...I noticed that as well. One other benefit to covering the throttle is that it makes it harder for your CFI to surprise you with engine failures and other such stuff. Mine always had to ask me to remove my hand so that he could simulate an engine failure.

This will make me use the mixture , you can even make the engine run rough etc if you are smooth with it and keep it discrete ...the student will buy in all the way..at least the first time.

I take off with one hand on throttle (right hand). We had an airplane with a sometimes-working throttle lock at one point in the FBO. I found that in anything I get to fly the rotation is easy with one hand if the airplane is trimmed for takeoff. I used to have trouble with precision during soft field takeoff, but somehow became used to it over time. I also put thumb on carb heat... it's mentally comforting, I guess until the mixture slips out on me one day.

My CFI was very clear that I should keep my hand on the throttle. And as you progress in your training you will find it is very helpful in minimizing instructor induced engine failures. Personally, I slap their hands if they get anywhere near the throttle. :D

I took the plane up solo this morning, first time totally by myself. 8 takeoffs and landings with no balloons or 3 wheeled landings, getting much more comfortable in the flare. Not much else to report, it was a relaxing morning. This afternoon my instructor and I are flying the Cherokee to Dansville (KDSV) for lunch, so I'll add another 1.5 or so. Oh, I tried to keep my hand on the throttle on takeoff too. I've heard from others as well, keep it on anytime under 500'

Total time: 28.6hrs
Route: BQR-BQR (8 solo landings)
Total time with instructor: :00
Billed instructor time: :00
Hobbs time 1.3hrs
Tach time 0.7hrs
Fuel used 5.28g

2nd flight today! This time with my instructor, and in the Cherokee. We flew to Dansville, this was supposed to be just for fun, but was actually my first X-country lesson. I was tasked with plotting the course, picking out landmarks, and handling the radio. I did most of the radio calls before but never to Buffalo Approach, this flight we needed Buffalo and Rochester approach frequencies as we get handed off halfway across. It's a lot to do in a 45 mile flight! It was fun, cross country training is going to be fun.

Going from the Cessna this morning, to the Cherokee this afternoon was no big deal, nothing like my first terrible flight going from the Cherokee to the Cessna. It only took one aborted approach to get the feel for landing it. And that approach was to a 2500' runway with only about 2000' available for landing (displaced threshold, but it's not listed on the AF/D? The numbers for 18 are 500' from the beginning) I like landing the Cherokee better but like everything else about the Cessna. I'm looking forward to trying the Archers!

Handed the plane over to take a couple pics, NEED wide angle lens, Think a Sigma 10-20 is in my future :) I could also take pics with the GoPro but they won't be as nice as ones with my T2i.

IMG_0856.jpg

IMG_0859.jpg

Camera shy instructor...
IMG_0860.jpg

IMG_0862.jpg

Going to Genesseo next week, grass strip!

Total time: 30.3hrs
Aircraft: 1971 Piper Cherokee 140
Route: BQR-DSV-BQR (1 go-around 2 landings)
Total time with instructor: 3:30
Billed instructor time: :00 (freebie!)
Hobbs time 1.7hrs
Tach time 1.3hrs
Fuel used 11.45g

You know what's cool about going solo? I can go up as long as I want! I had gotten permission to leave my local airport and go to the practice area, I had mentioned in another thread I was going to practice stalls, and was advised that wasn't a good idea without a CFI, so I practiced steep turns and turns around a point instead. The air above 2500 feet was so smooth today, smoothest air I've ever been in. So I nailed a bunch of steep turns, and some turns around a point. But I did 3 landings and a go-around before going up there, and another 4 landings when I got back.

While going to and from the practice area I asked for flight following, first time doing that by myself and I did fine. I was handed off 3 times too unexpectedly, we had never been handed off before, last time was to an unfamiliar frequency (123.8) Turns out that's a training frequency, so a trainee calling another trainee, lookout below! The first controller was a familiar voice, Marcy, she gave the tower tour that I took a few weeks ago, other two were the trainees and you wouldn't even know it. I didn't until after I landed and talked to my CFII, I was wondering why I was on that frequency, and why it was so quiet, only a few planes, Buffalo is usually yakyakyakdescend maintainflyheadingvectorVFRmisty MOAyakyakblah. It was nice!

Very enjoyable flight, shetchy landings, not as good as last time. Tomorrow we take the Cherokee to a grass strip! Geneseo. I'd rather stay in the 172 but scheduling conflicts are getting in the way.

Total time: 32.4hrs
Route: BQR-BQR (1 go-around, 7 landings)
Hobbs time 2.1hrs
Tach time 1.7hrs
Fuel used 9.4g

Today was another milestone, first cross country training flight! First time doing a full preflight planning, and calling Flight Service. I chose and plotted all the checkpoints, calculated the course, and fuel burn. The flight was a short one, BQR to DKK, 39 miles. All my checkpoint times and my course was dead on. This stuff is really easy and really appeals to my analytical brain.

Also once at Dunkirk we did short field takeoffs, which in the Cessna are really simple, just full throttle before releasing the brakes and climb at VX, easy. We also did short field landings, and the first one was at 4G2 (Hamburg) was demonstrated by my CFII, which he bounced terribly. He was so ****ed at himself it was funny. I did the next one back at Lancaster (full flaps, 55kts) and it was perfect. That just made him even more upset, he said, "dammit now I have to come out here and practice" not like it was a big deal, at Hamburg there was a direct crosswind right over trees, I even said as we were descending "it's going to get squirrely down there isn't it?" After we got back and he was filling out his logbook he said "I should count that has half a landing it was so terrible" and I couldn't resist rubbing it in further by saying "No, you should count it as two because you landed twice!" Good times :)

Next flight is Monday, more short field stuff, then grass fields, and maybe even before Monday, one night after work this week we'll do some night flying. Stay tuned, my training is coming to a close, lots of flights scheduled this month, may be done by the end of it.

Total time: 34.2hrs
Route: BQR-BQR (1 go-around, 7 landings)
Hobbs time 2.1hrs
Tach time 1.7hrs
Fuel used 9.4g

Last edited:
Today was another milestone, first cross country training flight!

You're gonna love solo XC. My checkride is this Friday, and I can't wait to be done w/ maneuvers and stalls for awhile, and get back to why I fly: XC.

Wow I haven't flown since July 5th! The plane had a weight and balance issue with the wheel pants, they were removed to be repaired months ago, well finally went to put them on so had to get the paperwork in order, then of course the nose wheel fairing didn't fit so we ended up leaving them off anyway, but the plane still had to be weighed, anyway...

FOGGLES! I was introduced to them today, we were supposed to fly to Geneseo (we have been supposed to fly there for a month now, I think it's jinxed) but since we had marginal VFR we stayed local, put on the foggles, did fine, then got a clearance and found some actual clouds to fly in, which is very cool. So I got some actual instrument time too. First thing my CFDI did before the foggles was tell me to close my eyes, he had me close them for quite some time, I think he was waiting for me to lose control. Then I put them on and he vectored me around a bit, this part is pretty easy for me since I practice this a lot using X-plane, CFI very impressed with it. The flying into actual clouds is awesome, can't wait to be an instrument pilot. I have a video of that.

This was flight one of 2 today, going back after sunset to pound out some night landings, it seems right now I'm at the point where we are just checking off boxes because everything is becoming natural. The weather today is very windy and I even did a short field landing, full flaps, 60kts (should be 55 but I added 5kts for the gust factor), made the first turnoff at KBQR without even needing the brakes. The bumpy descent which would have made me pucker up before was nothing today. If everything goes well, I'll be done by the end of the month, then instrument! Really looking forward to that.

Total time: 35.8hrs
Route: BQR-BQR (1 landing)
Total time with instructor: 2:30
Billed instructor time: 2:00
Hobbs time 1.6hrs
Tach time 1.2hrs
Fuel used 9.9g

Video, try not to fall asleep. Listen at the end though, pretty funny stuff some pilots do. Also they are repainting all the lines so we were talking with the manager on the radio after landing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxbYrIoFOHk

Sounds just like me and my flight instructor, upset that some pilot is asking on the radio what runway is active instead of listening to the current wind conditions first.

Kimberly

OOOOOO! Don't forget Night XC is the best!

I challenge you this. Fly out 450 miles in the daytime, check out all the potential emergency landing areas. Now fly back at night and point them out again. I flew LGB- Vegas and back like that in an Arrow. I bought a twin a few days later with 60TT.

Sounds just like me and my flight instructor, upset that some pilot is asking on the radio what runway is active instead of listening to the current wind conditions first.

Kimberly

Especially since as you can hear in the video, he just got the automated weather! Seconds before asking! WTF?

Especially since as you can hear in the video, he just got the automated weather! Seconds before asking! WTF?

I know! Sometimes when they go on too long on the radio I say to my instructor over the intercom: "Next, he's gonna tell us all what he had for breakfast this morning...."

Kimberly

I know! Sometimes when they go on too long on the radio I say to my instructor over the intercom: "Next, he's gonna tell us all what he had for breakfast this morning...."

Kimberly

My favorite line is to ask if they're gonna get a picture...

I challenge you this. Fly out 450 miles in the daytime, check out all the potential emergency landing areas. Now fly back at night and point them out again. I flew LGB- Vegas and back like that in an Arrow. I bought a twin a few days later with 60TT.

That is hard. I've done that. Mostly 'cause it's freaking pitch black in-between the farmhouse lights on the Eastern Plains at night. It'll really give you an appreciation for turning the cockpit lights down as far as they will go, or off, to see anything out the window. And protecting that night vision.

Back