My new good habit

steingar

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
steingar
I've found myself flying commercially a lot lately and have come up with a new habit I like. I always sit in the back or very near the back. I check my bag (I despise dealing with the TSA and this makes one less thing). I wait until everyone else has gone, and then on my way out if I feel like it I chat up the pilots. I've gotten to see lots of cockpits this way, and my flights have been far more enjoyable.

I'm never in a hurry because I have to wait for my bag anyway. It has taken a lot of stress out of flying the airlines, and I like gabbing with pilots.

Last edited:
And you get to watch the varying ways people get their stuff from the overhead bins. Frequent travelers are up, have their stuff out, and are ready to move when it is their turn. The folks who fly once a year wait until it is their turn to move, then get their stuff from the bin, if they can remember which bin it is in. :D I watched this circus again yesterday when I got back to SEA. While standing in the aisle with my carry-ons ready to move as soon as I could. There's a reason they tell you to leave your stuff behind in an emergency. :D

And you get to watch the varying ways people get their stuff from the overhead bins. Frequent travelers are up, have their stuff out, and are ready to move when it is their turn. The folks who fly once a year wait until it is their turn to move, then get their stuff from the bin, if they can remember which bin it is in. :D I watched this circus again yesterday when I got back to SEA. While standing in the aisle with my carry-ons ready to move as soon as I could. There's a reason they tell you to leave your stuff behind in an emergency. :D

That is why I like being up front.

One the 777 coming in from Asia, I can be from my seat once we park at the gate to my car in lot G in 15 minutes at ORD terminal 5 as long as I am in the first 4 rows.

One the 777 coming in from Asia, I can be from my seat once we park at the gate to my car in lot G in 15 minutes at ORD terminal 5 as long as I am in the first 4 rows.

Yup, and row 15 is still trying to get their bags and off the airplane when you're paying for your parking and leaving airport grounds!!

I like being up front too. You get to be behind a bullet proof door AND chat with the pilots (who are probably just trying to read their news papers) for the whole flight! :yes::D

Attachments

• IMG_3444.JPG
    IMG_3444.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 50
  • IMG_3440.JPG
    IMG_3440.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 51
I find the back section a lot less hassle, too. Get seated early, get the snacks before they run out, visit the crew at the door on the way out, no worries about be run over by some salesperson trying to make a connection with a packed kiosk on wheels in tow.

At least that's what I remember, I haven't flown commercial since 2005. And that was to pick up my then new plane to fly it home.

At least that's what I remember, I haven't flown commercial since 2005. And that was to pick up my then new plane to fly it home.
Wow, have you had that thing since 2005? Where has the time gone.......

There's a lot G now? I just remember lot F, and F was a 45-minute round trip from the terminal, via both bus and train. What a pain.

There's a lot G now? I just remember lot F, and F was a 45-minute round trip from the terminal, via both bus and train. What a pain.

ORDCellLot.jpg

Not too bad. Most of the time I get to park in E lot and I have a secret place that puts me pretty much right next to the train station.

I'm developing a new habit that works quite well for me, too, with regards to flying.

1) Figure out where I want to go (probably an hour before wheels up)
2) Go to the airport whenever I feel like it
3) Load up the airplane
4) Fly to the destination
5) Detour if I feel like it
6) Come home whenever I want. :)

Too bad that doesn't work for any trip I want just yet. :(

I'm developing a new habit that works quite well for me, too, with regards to flying.

1) Figure out where I want to go (probably an hour before wheels up)
2) Go to the airport whenever I feel like it
3) Load up the airplane
4) Fly to the destination
5) Detour if I feel like it
6) Come home whenever I want. :)

Too bad that doesn't work for any trip I want just yet. :(

And too bad my company prohibits such wise travel on company business. Oh, and that many of my trips are for distances and over bodies of water that I wouldn't even consider my preferred method of travel. :dunno:

And too bad my company prohibits such wise travel on company business. Oh, and that many of my trips are for distances and over bodies of water that I wouldn't even consider my preferred method of travel. :dunno:

My company is not clear on it. The travel policy states that there "shall not be compensated for private air travel", but no where does it say you cannot travel by private air. Indeed that one line makes it sound like you can but it is all coming out of your own pocket. I did use my plane once for a meeting in KC. I beat the commercial fliers by two hours door to door. My boss freaked a little, I asked if I had driven would that have been ok, he said yes it would have. I said well I did drive, but up in the sky. Since the SOP was lacking words that prohibited my action we agree to disagree on this one. It is not like I get many chances to use my airplane for travel. Most all of meetings are overseas.

My company is not clear on it. The travel policy states that there "shall not be compensated for private air travel", but no where does it say you cannot travel by private air. Indeed that one line makes it sound like you can but it is all coming out of your own pocket. I did use my plane once for a meeting in KC. I beat the commercial fliers by two hours door to door. My boss freaked a little, I asked if I had driven would that have been ok, he said yes it would have. I said well I did drive, but up in the sky. Since the SOP was lacking words that prohibited my action we agree to disagree on this one. It is not like I get many chances to use my airplane for travel. Most all of meetings are overseas.
My company will allow me to fly myself. They will reimburse only based on the cost of the lowest coach fare, however. I was able to use that for a trip from Chicago to Daytona Beach, though! I opted not to do that Chicago to Salt Lake City in March and April, though!

Our travel policy outright prohibits it. And I've challenged Risk Management on the subject and they wouldn't budge. I've had trips where a C-172 would have gotten me there faster than the airlines, but no joy. And, like you, overseas travel is common and a whole different deal. Transcontinental trips are bad enough.

My company will allow me to fly myself. They will reimburse only based on the cost of the lowest coach fare, however.

Are you allowed to price that "lowest coach fare" 36 hours before departure? My experience is that last minute fares aren't cheap!

Are you allowed to price that "lowest coach fare" 36 hours before departure? My experience is that last minute fares aren't cheap!
I tried something, though actually about a week before departure. They came back and said that they found a 2-week fare that was about half that. I decided not to challenge that since a) I had had that much advance notice; b) it was the first instance in which anyone had used GA that I was aware of and I didn't want to push anything, and c) it's ultimately the taxpayer who would pay my fare and I am very cognizant of wisely spending their dollars.

Last edited:
I just saw on the news this morning that Hobby Airport (as well as a few others, the only one of which I can remember is Spokane) is starting a new program where they'll have three basic security lines. One for leisure travelers, who are somewhat experienced with the security procedures, one for families with small children, and one for seasoned business travelers. The idea is that the business traveler will not have to stand and wait behind someone who doesn't understand the concept of removing all metal from their pockets and person or a family that has to wrestle their three toddlers through the line. I kind of like the idea (though I haven't been through it myself), and hope it gets expanded to more airports. Unfortunately, it is left up to the passenger to decide which line they belong in, which may or may not be a good thing.

I just saw on the news this morning that Hobby Airport (as well as a few others, the only one of which I can remember is Spokane) is starting a new program where they'll have three basic security lines. One for leisure travelers, who are somewhat experienced with the security procedures, one for families with small children, and one for seasoned business travelers. The idea is that the business traveler will not have to stand and wait behind someone who doesn't understand the concept of removing all metal from their pockets and person or a family that has to wrestle their three toddlers through the line. I kind of like the idea (though I haven't been through it myself), and hope it gets expanded to more airports. Unfortunately, it is left up to the passenger to decide which line they belong in, which may or may not be a good thing.

Reviews on the new system are negative, including the problem you mentioned (passenger decides on which line to use - which usually means "shortest line) and one case where a TSA "barker" told one top-level-elite frequent flyer business traveler that he was "not allowed" down the expert line (Boston).

The lines don't fix the basic problem... and I think the problems will get worse rather than better.

The lines don't fix the basic problem... and I think the problems will get worse rather than better.

"Of course I'm an expert, I flew just last year! Now is it 3oz in a 1qt container, or 1oz in a 3qt container? And what do you mean my 8 foot long duffel bag doesn't count as a carry on?"

Back