My "New" 1947 140 and my adventure of learning to fly her...

Got all logs copied and scanned today so ill have three sets stored apart, originals in firebox.

A question arose, how to understand prop numbers... i have c85 w the 0-200 goodies on her, with a 7148 prop. I cant seem to find answer if thats a climb, cruise or combo prop...how do i figure that?

Got all logs copied and scanned today so ill have three sets stored apart, originals in firebox.

A question arose, how to understand prop numbers... i have c85 w the 0-200 goodies on her, with a 7148 prop. I cant seem to find answer if thats a climb, cruise or combo prop...how do i figure that?

You have a 71 inch diameter, 48 inch pitch prop. Use the following calculator to determine whether it is a climb or cruise prop:

http://www.culverprops.com/pitchselection.htm

You have a 71 inch diameter, 48 inch pitch prop. Use the following calculator to determine whether it is a climb or cruise prop:

http://www.culverprops.com/pitchselection.htm

I'll have to check airpseed today, I forget it was 110-110 but looks like that makes a difference in those tables, honestly at cruise on way home I was paying attention to ground speed more than airspeed... Going to go see if I can learn this TW stuff at 1300 today! Gotta go to airport first and knock down a small snow berm where the turf crosses the paved... I'll let you all know how it goes later.

I got her up and put her down! She aint bent nor are we! I was impressed with her and how she handles. Been 3 1/2 years since id landed or took off, first take off no assistance needed, even with a touch of crosswind. I had worried the push in yoke to lift the tail wud choke me, scared that id over do it and nose it down, but it felt very natural...

We did a few approaches with no touchdown intended, thought id be nervous landing again, and i had all i cud do to push carb heat and throttle in and blast back off. I wanted to finish, it was good idea though as i was a bit hot, easy to do at 6d6 on 36 as its trees then a last bit of a "dive" if you want to not burn up half the runway. So gotta brush up on my slip skills as they arent lying when they say those flaps arent probably worth tbeir weight! But first time we intended to rouch down, it just happened. I know overall TW has its challenges but i felt the 140 had crisper control to touchdown than the 172, could be in my head, but i swear it was one of smoothest touchdowns ive ever made. It was like loosing my virginity again, i cant lie.

To fly today i had to go shovel down about a 6 inch deep plow berm on south side of paved runway, i didnt take it to bare ground but knocked it down n thinned it out so it wouldnt be like hitting a curb. I did need a lil help on rollout after the smooth touchdow, as we crossed the bit of snow berm left it was a touch deeper on right than left and pulled us a bit that way but not out of control by any means. We did find 65mph was much better than 70 from our planned "missed approaches"

We had one hairy take off that i asked him to take plane and we aborted, i hadnt put enough aileron in for the crosswind and went to add more and couldnt make my arm go where it needed to do so, and didnt want to distract myself to look to see what the problem was, too much going on. After we pulled off to taxiway, i looked and my window latch can pop out a bit without opening the window and in a tiny cockpit my elbow and arm were blocked by it. So i learned i gotta keep my elbow area tucked in tighter if it happened again, and get that latch adjusted so it wont do that. It happened just a bit before tail could have been brought up, as we werent crazy fast yet but fast enough the wrong call cudda taken things south. I was glad i knew enough to not distract myself from looking outside in a TW at a time that doing so would be very unwise for any tw pilot let alone a newbie. I feel i made the right call, as at that speed ur moving but control authority still sucked, so before things got ugly i called for help n shut down the roll.

Its in my mind as i learn and hopefully always remember, that she is in the ntsb logs, in 1972 a student on his first solo take off got into the roll, realized window was open and attempted to close it, resulting in the classic ground loop with its nose in the ground. Im not going to be the one to put her tail number in there twice, so im always going to try keeping that in my mind that a 1/10 of a second distraction at key points is not an option.

Thanks a lot, pal... I bid on it and won. Now I have to go to Portland and fly it home....
While you are in the area, stop by.

Going to have fun getting it home this time of year..

Today would have been a perfect day. Weather was clear coast to coast.
Hope you are home safe, cause that window is closing fast.

does the aircraft have a heater?

4 more today, limited today by daylight, but went even better. Jack said if every runway was grass he would be about ready to sign me off. Really liking this bird. He does reccomend even after sign off i limit myself to turf for landings at least for a good 20 hours. Take offs went much better today, yesterday i over-corrected w rudder on take off was much smoother today, really pleased with the progress. One landing was nothing to brag about but bent nothing so i guess it was still good....

Back