My Mom is Dying

bstratt

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Canuck
Just got back from a week's "vacation" where I spent two days with my Mom who is in palliative care in Toronto. Palliative care is similar to a hospice in the USA - their job is not to prolong life but ease the "passing".

By way of background, my Mom sufferred from ITP in the 1979-1981 time frame. Part of the treatment in those days (since discredited) was regular platelet transfusions. Mom was one of the lucky ones who survived at that time (less than 50% survived in those days) but the transfusions gave her Hepatitis C. Hep C is a "stealth" like disease where as long as the remaining functioning part of the liver can counteract the damaged part you wouldn't know there was anything wrong with her at all, however the Hep C is continually destroying the liver. There comes a day when there is insufficient "good" liver left to counteract the damaged portion. That day came the week before Christmas in 2007. Suddenly, overnight Mom went into hepatic encephalopathy - similar to a stroke - disorientation, tired, dementia, difficulty talking, cannot use fine motor skills such as feeding yourself, etc. The doctors decided she was too old (79) and weak to survive liver replacement, and the remaining portion of good liver could never survive an anti-Hep C drug treatment. They basically told us she was going to steadily deteriorate and die over the next 2-5 years, but that she would "bounce back (and be Mom again) for a few weeks followed by another cycle down. Each time she would not come fully back. My Dad (also 79) has cared for her at home up until three weeks ago when it became obvious he no longer could. She had a very serious down turn (coma) and they had to rush her to the hospital, where she bounced back but the doctors advised against taking her home again. The decision was made to put her in palliative care which she entered two weeks ago. The good news - There is absolutely no pain and on her good days she is lucid and can carry on a conversation. The bad news - she is lucid and understands everything that is happening to her as well as her prognosis. The next time she "down turns" they will give her no treatment. She has signed a DNR.

My Dad is having a tough time with it - they grew up together in the same outport village, were in the same grade in a one room school house, dated after high school and eventually got married - in other words they have been part of each other's lives their whole lives. My Dad smoked a pack and a half of cigarettes every day of his working life (quit the day he retired at 57), was always over weight, never exercised and enjoyed a drink - he just had a physical and is as healthy as a horse. My Mom never touched alcohol or tobacco, and kept in shape. Dad says its not fair that she's going first.

When my first wife died, my Mom moved in and took over raising my son (5 yrs old) for a couple of years while I pulled things together. She said that was why God spared her when she had ITP, so she could look after my son. I'm having a hard time with it too!

I'm very much afraid that I saw her for the last time this morning!

Sorry for the rambling post, but I just had to put it in writing.

So sorry to hear this.
I know words don't help ease the pain, but rest assured you and your family are in my prayers.

Mark

I'm really sorry. There isn't much else to say. I hope you get one more visit.

Barry,

Sorry to hear this news......Mary and I will keep you and your family in our thoughts and prayers.

Barry, Please know that down in Goergia someone (me) just said a prayer for you, your mother, your family. In a few words you have made us know her just a bit and how special she is. I am sorry for this coming loss and know it won't be easy.

Losing a mom is so sad. I lost mine this February. The immediate pain eases but the huge hole in you life never goes away. I pray for strength for you and that you may be comforted by your friends and family.

I hate posts like this. My heart reaches out but knows that no words can sooth your soul at this time. Breath deep, cry, find peace.

Missa

Thanks everyone - my first wife died in a sudden accident - no time for good byes or "I love you". This is a long tragic episode where every time I see her I say good bye not knowing if I'll see her again. I'm not sure which way is better (or worse)!

I stopped in last Saturday on my way through Toronto to visit for a couple of hours. My sister told me that she was asking every day this week if I was coming back for another visit. When she was told I was stopping in for a visit on my return trip today, she asked my sister to fix her hair three times (apparently I had made a comment on the previous visit on how beautiful she looked and she wanted to look good for me)

Sorry, monitor is getting blurry

Sorry, monitor is getting blurry
Mine too. I'm so sorry to hear this, Barry. Having a love one who knows that they're going to die soon is tough. I went through it with my Dad. All you can do is to let them know that you love them, that they've left a good legacy, and that it's alright for them to move on. She'll live forever in your thoughts and prayers.

Barry, I'm very sorry to hear. Life isn't fair, and the best ones always seem to go too soon.

I hope you can find strength and comfort during this time of pain for you.

I agree with Missa...I hate the helpless feeling of not knowing what to say or do when someone is going through this sort of thing. It's heartbreaking. I'm so sorry to hear this. My heart goes out to you and your family.

Ah Barry that really stinks. So sorry to hear about your mom. My prayers are with ya and your family. I hope you get to see her again.

My prayers are with you Barry. I can identify with you as I have lost a Father and a Wife.
It's very hard, but friends and faith will help you.

Barry, tell the bank they can wait. They can, really.
You cannot.
Just go....

I had a partner once who is Asian, like myself- who was called by his mother in Taiwan who was dying. He tried desperately to trade summer vacation weeks so that he could go, and not ONE of those ass_holes who had the week would let him go.

So he told the group, "the h_ll with you all. I am going, and I'll deal with whether I have a job when I get back. I'd rather be a proper unemployed son than an employed disgrace to my family". He did win some respect with this, and transiently realigned the whole group.....though only for a while. Sigh.

To this day Jimmy knows he did the right thing.

And, even if you do not go, I know this is hard. And REALLY, she needs to see her grandson, too......

Sorry,. Barry. I know what that can do to you.

My Mom is pretty much bedridden in the home but holding on pretty well, but I know the day is coming.

I'm sorry, Barry.
Please know that another in Georgia has you and your family in my prayers tonight.

You cannot.
Just go....

I had a partner once who is Asian, like myself- who was called by his mother in Taiwan who was dying. He tried desperately to trade summer vacation weeks so that he could go, and not ONE of those ass_holes who had the week would let him go.

So he told the group, "the h_ll with you all. I am going, and I'll deal with whether I have a job when I get back. I'd rather be a proper unemployed son than an employed disgrace to my family". He did win some respect with this, and transiently realigned the whole group.....though only for a while. Sigh.

And, even if you do not go, I know this is hard. And REALLY, she needs to see her grandson, too......

Bruce, the bank has been really great. I have been back probably 6 times in the last two months - sometimes on a moments notice from the family that this may be "it". The problem is that she may hang on for weeks/months, or it could be it tomorrow. I can't sit by the bedside for the next month...waiting. The reason I wasn't there more last week was that my son (her grandson), wife and two kids (her only great-grandchildren - 4 & 1) were driving to our cottage in Ontario from Norfolk, VA, for a week's vacation with Jackie & I. They got to spend about half a day on last Sunday with her. He REALLY wanted to see her before she passed. I was really glad she hung on long enough for them to see her and vice-versa.

These things are just sooo very hard.
Occasionally my dad has a glimmer of light and warmth and we get the sense that he is still in there. But it's getting very, very rare.
Just awful.

Been there; know the feelings.

Prayers for you and your family.

Well, I'll make it three in Georgia who are thinking of you and you're family. My mother had a stroke, was in ICU for a few days and we got her moved to a home. The first night there she had an issue and was sent back to the hospital and ended up in ICU again and ona respirator. My sister and I had to make the decision to taker her off the respirator. I sat and held her hand while I watched her die.

It's very hard watching aloved one go and unfortunately most of us will have to watch more than once, while some of us will never have to face it.

My prayers to you and your family. I hope you get to be there.

My heart and prayers go out for you and the family Barry.
Dave G

Barry,

We all feel and share the pain for you and your family. Hope that helps ease it some.

Rick

Sorry to hear it Barry, best wishes you all. It's hard losing loved ones, but as she said, at least she came back from the ITP and was able to help you out when you needed it. Life is a strange thing....

Thanks everyone - my first wife died in a sudden accident - no time for good byes or "I love you". This is a long tragic episode where every time I see her I say good bye not knowing if I'll see her again. I'm not sure which way is better (or worse)!
There is no "good" way...

My prayers are with you.

Best wishes to you, your dad, your son, and the family. There is so much goodness and so much pain. Be strong as long as it is needed, then let go and let others help you with your grief when you can.

Been through this too many times. No regrets. Whatever you feel you have to do, leave no regrets.

I'm sorry to hear this Barry. Sounds like a rough time for you and yours. You're all in my prayers.

Barry,

I'm so sorry to hear about this. Unfortunately, as we get older our parents do, too.

Take comfort that you got to see her this weekend - part of the reason I'm back in DC is to be able to spend time with my aging parents (I'll spare the details - some here know).

Best wishes and prayers from here.

Bill

Barry,

My heart goes out to you. Stay strong and keep us updated. You think you're rambling but remember that we all really do care.

Jason

hang in there - it breaks my heart to see this happening to you. I know how hard this is (dang, I miss my mom right now! :() and I know how important it is to not only be there for your family but to be there for yourself, as well. Find outlets where you can vent, consciously do good things for yourself, as well as for others. Bless y'all's hearts... :(

You cannot.
Just go....

It's good to see people who have their priorities in-line. It's sad to see how many other people (especially employers) do not.

These things are just sooo very hard.
Occasionally my dad has a glimmer of light and warmth and we get the sense that he is still in there. But it's getting very, very rare.
Just awful.

That's how my grandmother was for the last few years. Her brain was gone, but her German heart refused to stop beating and her German lungs refused to stop breathing. I remember the weekend before she died she looked me in the eye, we smiled at eachother, and I told her "It's ok, you can let go."

Less than 48 hours later, I got the call. Her German lungs finally stopped breathing, and the heart soon followed.

Been through this too many times. No regrets. Whatever you feel you have to do, leave no regrets.

Life's too short to leave regrets.

Very sorry to hear about this, and it must be very hard to see her suffer. But whatever happens, try to take comfort in knowing that you and the rest of the family had her for a long time.
I lost my Mom when I was 15, and I'd give my right hand even just to hear her yell at me again. :D The happier moments are like precious treasures that I guard diligently, but even thinking of her when she was angry brightens my day.
I am a lucky guy just to have had a mother who loved me and never really gave me a reason to doubt that.

No matter how old or independent a guy gets, sometimes he just needs his Mom. But if you keep those memories alive, you will keep her spirit alive, so she can be there for you.

Back