My Kingdom for a [rental] plane in a 50-70nm radius of HPN

Michele

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Michele
Hello all, my shiny new pilots license (six days old) is beginning to burn a hole in my pocket but my problem is where do I rent? I finished my training 900 nm from home and that means I have to find a place to check out and rent.

I live an hour North of NYC and trained for awhile at HPN (White Plains, NY) and then finished up last week at ORL (Orlando, Fl). The giddiness of passing the check ride is fading and the realization that I don't have a plane to fly is settling in. :yikes:

The Westchester Flying Club doesn't rent the only plane I feel comfy in, the Cessna 172-they have Pipers, Arrows and such. For my own reasons, Panorama (HPN) is a last resort and Performance (HPN) only has Cirrus'. :frown3:

Anybody know about rentals/flying clubs (or anyway to rent) in the NY-CT-NJ area, preferably within a 60-70 mile radius of HPN? :confused:

You can answer here on the forum or PM me. Thanks,

Nina M.

This is a club I was looking into a while back; some very nice planes which they rotate between KCDW and KLDJ. I've gone to a couple of meetings and fly-outs of theirs; nice bunch of people, and a very well-organized club.

http://www.flyingclub.org/

Also, I used to rent from these folks... N07 can be a little more challenging than KHPN, but it's a nice little airport.

http://www.lpawings.com/

Other than that, I can't offer much... certainly not in Westchester, Rockland or Orange counties. There seem to be be Cessnas for rent at Greenwood Lake (4N1)- that's a little closer to you.... but I have no personal experience with that outfit.

http://www.greenwoodlakeairport.com/id2.html

Last edited:
Hello all, my shiny new pilots license (six days old) is beginning to burn a hole in my pocket but my problem is where do I rent? I finished my training 900 nm from home and that means I have to find a place to check out and rent.

I live an hour North of NYC and trained for awhile at HPN (White Plains, NY) and then finished up last week at ORL (Orlando, Fl). The giddiness of passing the check ride is fading and the realization that I don't have a plane to fly is settling in. :yikes:

The Westchester Flying Club doesn't rent the only plane I feel comfy in, the Cessna 172-they have Pipers, Arrows and such. For my own reasons, Panorama (HPN) is a last resort and Performance (HPN) only has Cirrus'. :frown3:

Anybody know about rentals/flying clubs (or anyway to rent) in the NY-CT-NJ area, preferably within a 60-70 mile radius of HPN? :confused:

You can answer here on the forum or PM me. Thanks,

Nina M.

While it's normal to feel constrained to the type(s) you trained in, I think you'll find that Piper Cherokees are as easy to fly as a 172 and will feel "comfy" after a couple hours spent on a good checkout. Putting a new type in your logbook is an excellent way to expand your aviation envelope.

While it's normal to feel constrained to the type(s) you trained in, I think you'll find that Piper Cherokees are as easy to fly as a 172 and will feel "comfy" after a couple hours spent on a good checkout. Putting a new type in your logbook is an excellent way to expand your aviation envelope.

I had a similar situation, in reverse. I did all my training and checkride in Cherokees, then the FBO got rid of them. I made the switch to a 172.

I think it is a good idea to fly different A/C within your skill level. You'll find out just how similar they really are, and the differences that are there will help give you something to think about.

I had a similar situation, in reverse. I did all my training and checkride in Cherokees, then the FBO got rid of them. I made the switch to a 172.

I think it is a good idea to fly different A/C within your skill level. You'll find out just how similar they really are, and the differences that are there will help give you something to think about.
I cross posted this and yes, I'm getting a lot of reassuring feed back that transitioning should not be a problem and so now, I'm much more open to trying other a/c.

This is a club I was looking into a while back; some very nice planes which they rotate between KCDW and KLDJ. I've gone to a couple of meetings and fly-outs of theirs; nice bunch of people, and a very well-organized club.

http://www.flyingclub.org/

Also, I used to rent from these folks... N07 can be a little more challenging than KHPN, but it's a nice little airport.

http://www.lpawings.com/

Other than that, I can't offer much... certainly not in Westchester, Rockland or Orange counties. There seem to be be Cessnas for rent at Greenwood Lake (4N1)- that's a little closer to you.... but I have no personal experience with that outfit.

http://www.greenwoodlakeairport.com/id2.html

Thanks rotty, I briefly looked into all three of these choices and each is under 50 miles from my home--that's a start. Tomorrow or next week I'll conduct a more thorough investigation and let you know either way what's up. Again, thank you for taking the time to provide these leads. :thumbsup:

Nina M.

Last edited:

What Lance said. The first thing I did after getting my Private (in a 172) was to get checked out in the Warrior and Archer. It only took one flight - IMHO, the Archer is easier to fly (well, mostly easier to land) and handles better on the ground, too. It has more of a buffet before the stall, and the stall is very gentle if you can even get it to fully break. They're a great "next airplane" and once you get used to the Warrior or Archer, getting your complex in the Arrow is easy because it flies pretty much just like the Archer, you just have a couple of extra knobs. Enjoy!

I too learned in a Cessna. Transitioned to the Warrior with EASE. Didn't take more than one lesson and I was off on my own in it.
Don't let a different type stop you. Have some fun on the check out and try to learn something you didn't know before.
I have had my ticket for several years. I recently went up with a CFI I had never met before to do a checkout at a new FBO and get current again. Learned a couple of new things and had a great time.
Always learning!!!

try the Kingston Airport. They have nice small fleet of cessnas but they dont seem too busy so scdheduling shouldnt be an issue

+100
Lance is correct.

Arrow Aviation at DXR (Danbury) has a c-172. POU (Poughkeepsie) has a couple of clubs with 2 172s each. PM me. I'm at POU just doing landings. If I had known you were here, we could have gone together.

Last edited:
Arrow Aviation at DXR (Danbury) has a c-172. POU (Poughkeepsie) has a couple of clubs with 2 172s each. PM me. I'm at POU just doing landings. If I had known you were here, we could have gone together.

Hi Peggy, The following were some board suggestions that I'm going to follow up on today. The clubs seem to be an investment and since right now I just want to just fly around a bit, I'm going to center on the rental places and leave the clubs for later. I'll PM you.

Blue Sky Flight School, Bridgeport
Three Wing Flying Service, Bridgeport
21 Flyers, Bridgeport
Flying Eagles, Bridgeport
Nutmeg Flyers, Bridgeport
Flying 20 Club, Danbury
Arrow Aviation, Danbury
Curtiss Aero, Danbury
Danbury Flying Club, Danbury
Executive Air Service, Danbury

Nina M.

I've never rented from Three Wing, but find them to be a pretty rotten place to deal with when I've been. But I suppose I have high standards.

Don't worry about any sort of transition. You will find it's not difficult. What I would suggest, though, is that if you're not flying a ton that you stick to one type of aircraft for most of your flying. Transitions aren't hard, but all aircraft have their little nuances, even for such little things as position of flaps and such. Flying the same plane (or at least same time) for most of your flying will help make it easier. Look for a combination of location and cost that will allow you to get the most flying in.

I've never rented from Three Wing, but find them to be a pretty rotten place to deal with when I've been. But I suppose I have high standards.
Don't have to tell me twice, ...Three Wings off the list.

Last edited:
I initially only offered up what I knew as a mostly-Cessna guy, but I want to ditto those who say: fear not the transition, if that becomes necessary.

You may find, as I did, that trying new types is, ultimately, very good for you. Helps keep that healthy mental attitude, where you are alert for signs of complacency.
Of course, if you simply prefer Cessnas, I can't say I blame you... :D

Hi Peggy, The following were some board suggestions that I'm going to follow up on today. The clubs seem to be an investment and since right now I just want to just fly around a bit, I'm going to center on the rental places and leave the clubs for later.

Once you have a little investment and lower per-hour flying cost, you will notice that your threshold to go flying will be a lot lower. Flying more at this early point after your ticket will make you a better pilot. Also, some clubs have a social aspect to them that may keep out out of the 'lost in rental land' feeling.

Don't have to tell me twice, ...Three Wings off the list.
Nina M.
Well, 3 Wing isn't so bad. However, you have to be a club member to rent their planes They don't have 172s. They are pricy. All of these are a better reason to cross them off.

I know your intentions are to reassure a new pilot, but for those of us who required more than 100 hours to learn to fly one airplane type, the experience of others who did it in a lot less time is possibly not pertinent. Yes, she should try out new types, but maybe she should keep her confidence up in a familiar type for a little while.

Cherokees are nearly the same as a 172, except the sight picture from landing is different and the stall and floating characteristics are different.

And it takes a little readjustment to sit on top of the wing instead of hanging from it.

What Lance said. The first thing I did after getting my Private (in a 172) was to get checked out in the Warrior and Archer. It only took one flight - IMHO, the Archer is easier to fly (well, mostly easier to land) and handles better on the ground, too. It has more of a buffet before the stall, and the stall is very gentle if you can even get it to fully break. They're a great "next airplane" and once you get used to the Warrior or Archer, getting your complex in the Arrow is easy because it flies pretty much just like the Archer, you just have a couple of extra knobs. Enjoy!
I think in the Archer, you sit in a slightly more reclined posture. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I too learned in a Cessna. Transitioned to the Warrior with EASE. Didn't take more than one lesson and I was off on my own in it.
Don't let a different type stop you. Have some fun on the check out and try to learn something you didn't know before.
I have had my ticket for several years. I recently went up with a CFI I had never met before to do a checkout at a new FBO and get current again. Learned a couple of new things and had a great time.
Always learning!!!

I initially only offered up what I knew as a mostly-Cessna guy, but I want to ditto those who say: fear not the transition, if that becomes necessary.

You may find, as I did, that trying new types is, ultimately, very good for you. Helps keep that healthy mental attitude, where you are alert for signs of complacency.
Of course, if you simply prefer Cessnas, I can't say I blame you... :D
Agreed. She should transition. When she is comfortable.

Last edited:
Once you have a little investment and lower per-hour flying cost, you will notice that your threshold to go flying will be a lot lower. Flying more at this early point after your ticket will make you a better pilot. Also, some clubs have a social aspect to them that may keep out out of the 'lost in rental land' feeling.

Well, 3 Wing isn't so bad. However, you have to be a club member to rent their planes They don't have 172s. They are pricy. All of these are a better reason to cross them off.

All very good points; guess I've been quick to narrow the list in order to get to that point where I'm up in the air, again. :D :D :D

I'm pretty excited. I just made an appointment for a check out at Arrow Aviation in Danbury for this coming Saturday. They were pretty friendly and I couldn't believe they had an availability for this coming weekend.
bravo.gif
Prices are pretty standard, but Danbury is very close and I just want to get up in the air asap!

As noted in this thread, I will look into clubs and flying other planes, but my shiny new license is starting to wither and it must be fed!
popcorn.gif

Thanks for all the cool suggestions, they ought to keep me flying for a good long time.
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

I also did the high wing training route. 152 and 172 to get my private. Then transitioned over to a Warrior to finish up my instrument. But the first plane I looked at buying was a 182. Then I got my head right and bought a low wing - and then bought another.

There's a reason all the cool people fly low wings. All the high wingers are like 8 year olds with the training wheels still on their bicycles. :D

Oh, and before AdamZ beats me to it, you already have a perfect cross country destination. Wings Field (KLOM) May 15th. A bunch of us will be there for some good grub and better company. Well, except for Ted. We just sort of allow him to show up. :D

Last edited:
If you can fly a 172 you can fly a Cherokee. Yes it is slightly different, but not very much. Any private pilot shouldn't have a problem flying either with appropriate transition training.

The day after I passed my private check ride in the 172 I went out and started doing my transition training in the Archer. The only reason it lasted longer than about 30 minutes was to keep the insurance company happy. It's really not a big deal. It is a good idea to get exposure flying different aircraft (with others) just to see what it's like and learn more about what you like and don't like. A lot of people get stuck on particular aircraft. I've only flown a couple aircraft that I genuinely dislike the way they fly. Everything else I've found positives and negatives, but overall like.

As I said, balance distance and cost. The airplane can be next door, but if it costs a ton of money you won't be able to fly as much. Conversely, if it's cheap but far away and takes you a few hours of travel to get to and from, you won't be able to fly as much. It's a balance. :)

There's a reason all the cool people fly low wings. All the high wingers are like 8 year olds with the training wheels still on their bicycles. :D

I agree in most cases. A few exceptions:

PakistanArmy_AeroCommander.jpg

MU2_marquise_01_640x419.jpg

But yes, I should have mentioned - you should start flying low wings like all us cool people. ;)

Oh, and before AdamZ beats me to it, you already have a perfect cross country destination. Wings Field (KLOM) May 15th. A bunch of us will be there for some good grub and better company. Well, except for Ted. We just sort of allow him to show up. :D

Assuming Homeland Security doesn't stop me for another cavity search when I'm coming back from Canadia, eh?

COME TO WINGS!!! :)

Not I.... :dunno:

Oh, I didn't know you actually sold it. I thought you had two horses in the stable. My problem is, I don't know of any affordable 150+kt, 900nm, 1250lb useful, 4 place taildraggers. Let alone landing them in 25kt crosswinds.

Oh, I didn't know you actually sold it. I thought you had two horses in the stable. My problem is, I don't know of any affordable 150+kt, 900nm, 1250lb useful, 4 place taildraggers. Let alone landing them in 25kt crosswinds.

Nope -- had access to two Bonanzas through an owner who needed "help" flying them (too long and too personal to post on a public board). A nice A36 and a less nice -- but fun -- 1947 V tail.

I have access to a very nicely equipped C205 on a similar arrangement.

My personal airplane is a 1940 Chief.

High or Low wing, I'll fly it. :yesnod:

This one barely hits the 150 kt, don't know about 900 nm, but definitely beats out on the 1250 lb useful and 4-place.

c46.jpg

Although every now and then people would have problems with them:

c-46-nosestand.gif

I think in the Archer, you sit in a slightly more reclined posture. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I wouldn't call it "reclined" - It's more that your legs are out in front of you more so than below you, so in all the Cessnas have you sitting more upright. Frankly, I find the Cessna seating position to be a lot more comfortable for longer legs, but I have flown an Archer MSN-OJC-MSN as well.

I wouldn't call it "reclined" - It's more that your legs are out in front of you more so than below you, so in all the Cessnas have you sitting more upright. Frankly, I find the Cessna seating position to be a lot more comfortable for longer legs, but I have flown an Archer MSN-OJC-MSN as well.

I find Cessna seats are like kitchen table chairs, Beech seats are like office chairs, and Piper seats are like 1970s den chairs.

:dunno:

haha! out of the 7 checkrides I've taken, they have all been in low wings save for one...the commercial was in a Cessna 172RG only because the Arrow at the flight school had major issues (and it cost more $$$).

haha! out of the 7 checkrides I've taken, they have all been in low wings save for one...the commercial was in a Cessna 172RG only because the Arrow at the flight school had major issues (and it cost more $$$).

Welcome to my world, again. [hee-hee-hee] Almost didn't recognize you without the kitty avitar.

Last edited:
hey what can I say, we can't get enough of each other.

Like I said on the other forum, internet stalking. :D

Nina:
Where are you living north of NYC?

PM Me and I can let you know about things at KPOU (my home field)

Bruce

I...

LOL I was gonna tell her to come to 6Y9er but she sure is welcome at the Wings flyBQ as well!

I am sure you will do great whether you fly a 172 or a PA28 They both have wings and are fun to fly!

I am sure you will do great whether you fly a 172 or a PA28 They both have wings and are fun to fly!

As said by a student of mine who I'm transitioning into a Warrior (previously all time in 172s):

Ted's student said:
Wow, this really isn't much different. But it sure does fly nicely."

Nina:
Where are you living north of NYC?
PM Me and I can let you know about things at KPOU (my home field) Bruce
Northern Westchester, about 50 min South of POU

LOL I was gonna tell her to come to 6Y9er but she sure is welcome at the Wings flyBQ as well! I am sure you will do great whether you fly a 172 or a PA28 They both have wings and are fun to fly!
Would love to come to flyBQ, but have fam obligations. What's the 6Y9er?

Last edited:
Would love to come to flyBQ, but have fam obligations. What's the 6Y9er?
Nina M.

See "Six Yankee Niner" folder in "Cool Places to Fly." It's a great little grass strip in the middle of nowhere in Michigan. Bring a tent and pitch it behind the plane. Great people, great fun.

Back