My Journey to my PPL-A Blog...(With Pics and Videos)

Unfortunately, so few people know anything about GA other than "they're little planes, you have to be nuts to go up in one." They are susceptible to airline propaganda blaming delays on "hotshot" private pilots. Ignorance must be combated with education. Kudos to you for reaching out to this forum.

It's the same with motorcycles, too. Really the same whenever people are making assumptions about something with which they are not actually involved and have no knowledge of.

What's funny, though, is that these same people love jumping on a commercial jet (or a private jet, if they would get the chance) and go off on a trip. Every one of those pilots started off in some one of those little planes.

As you say, ignorance must be combated with education - we need to get more people interested in flying, or at least supportive of it. In my case, I got my mom supportive of motorcycling by introducing her to my motorcycle gang. Once she realized they were all nice people, she suddenly didn't despise motorcycles so much anymore. Once I get my license I'll take her up flying on a nice calm day and she might start liking it. Reaching out to individuals helps. Missa's the one who got me hooked, so the pyramid scheme appears to be working. :)

Are you kidding me? I heard/saw 2 CG Blackhawks (CFI said they were) transition from the, IIRC, West to the East, would that have been you? I wish I would have seen this post earlier...

I have patrol tomorrow that will be around your area several times during the day. If you hear a Coast Guard aircraft on freq that will be me, if you can say hi.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone and Flyers. I did finally update my blog with Pix/Videos of my solo.

I added something for you.

THANKS
Unfortunately, so few people know anything about GA other than "they're little planes, you have to be nuts to go up in one." They are susceptible to airline propaganda blaming delays on "hotshot" private pilots. Ignorance must be combated with education. Kudos to you for reaching out to this forum.

Thanks again, I'm going to see my Uncle in a few days and bring this up again. I think he believes that my C172 flying around the pattern takes up the "slots for airlines" in the sky.....:rolleyes:

As you say, ignorance must be combated with education - we need to get more people interested in flying, or at least supportive of it. In my case, I got my mom supportive of motorcycling by introducing her to my motorcycle gang. Once she realized they were all nice people, she suddenly didn't despise motorcycles so much anymore. Once I get my license I'll take her up flying on a nice calm day and she might start liking it. Reaching out to individuals helps. Missa's the one who got me hooked, so the pyramid scheme appears to be working. :)

Thanks Ted! I'm going to try that education thing in a few days....

Thanks Ted! I'm going to try that education thing in a few days....

Best of luck! Hopefully you will succeed in educating these folks. Some people don't want to be educated, and for some it takes longer than others. Most people won't be convinced by numbers, it takes some more exposure to the experience itself to convince folks. There are so many realities that are different than perceptions, and sometimes the only way for people to truly understand that is to see it for themselves.

Have fun!

Well done mate, I've got two good friends in the early stages of PPL, always great to hear of someone cracking that first hurdle. :)

Updated to include, "no spins for me," my first lesson since my first solo, a landing epiphany, and my passing of 4 written exams in the past week...

Purdue

Updated to include Xwind landings, and a solo signoff for me...

Congratulations! Somehow, I don't think you were soloing yesterday or today, though! :hairraise::no::no:

Yesterday, it was about a mile visibility in freezing fog, and today it's gusting to 33mph!

I enjoyed reading about your latest lesson. This time of year it's sometimes hard to be able to get any flying in.

It's great to be able to stay on the centerline, but sometimes I don't always make it either. It's a good goal to shoot for. Here on the farm (and at Gaston's) we just have to guess where the centerline is in the grass, and sometimes the most seasoned of pilots don't always make it.

I'm glad to hear that you are still planning to join us at Gaston's. :)

Congratulations! Somehow, I don't think you were soloing yesterday or today, though! :hairraise::no::no:

Yesterday, it was about a mile visibility in freezing fog, and today it's gusting to 33mph!
Hi Grant,

Sorry I missed your post. Yes, you are correct, I'm still waiting to take that first solo to C09 and LOT, the TAF for tomorrow at DPA has WS012/23045kt, so I doubt I'll be soloing tomorrow, either. :(
Sometime soon though....:yes::goofy:

Thanks,

Purdue

I enjoyed reading about your latest lesson. This time of year it's sometimes hard to be able to get any flying in.

It's great to be able to stay on the centerline, but sometimes I don't always make it either. It's a good goal to shoot for. Here on the farm (and at Gaston's) we just have to guess where the centerline is in the grass, and sometimes the most seasoned of pilots don't always make it.

I'm glad to hear that you are still planning to join us at Gaston's. :)

Hi Diana,

Sorry I missed yours also.

Yep, as Doc B said somewhere, since November, the WX has been crap, and we had a long set of ice.....

Thanks for the advice as well. I didn't bend anything, so hey, it was a great landing, right?:rofl: But as you said it is a great goal to aim for, as (I think I mentioned earlier) I'd love to take a checkride on 03/15, my 17th B-day. Overall though, it was a great lesson, as it put me over the "mental landing hump," and all I have to do is get more practice in....

I do appreciate all of the continued support, you guys are a great bunch of people.

I did update my blog to include a trip to a towered field, and me declining a solo sign off...

Thanks and have a great evening,

Purdue

Updated to include: "VOR 12, TWR OPS, First Unsupervised Solo, and Lesson Plans."

Updated to include: "VOR 12, TWR OPS, First Unsupervised Solo, and Lesson Plans."
Purdue, thanks for the update! It's tough flying (and landing) into the sun when it's so low in the sky this time of the year.

Isn't it a great feeling to go flying by yourself! :)

It sure is!:yes::D

My first real dual XC is this weekend, I'm very excited, stay tuned.:D

Purdue

Purdue, thanks for the update! It's tough flying (and landing) into the sun when it's so low in the sky this time of the year.

Isn't it a great feeling to go flying by yourself! :)

A mini update here....

Today I got signed off for flights greater than 50 NM from JOT! Wahooo! Today was a blast, I went dual to SQI, with a 80KT GS going there, and 130KT coming back. I got right off course on the way there, and paralleled it the rest of the way, and was right on course on the way home. Of course APP couldn't "hear us," but CTR worked us. More to come when I have time, I'm planning to go solo back to SQI on Wednesday, and if the WX holds on Saturday, most likely my long solo XC to LAF-PIA and back....

More to come,

Purdue

It sure is!:yes::D

My first real dual XC is this weekend, I'm very excited, stay tuned.:D

Purdue

More to come when I have time, I'm planning to go solo back to SQI on Wednesday, and if the WX holds on Saturday, most likely my long solo XC to LAF-PIA and back....
I'm looking forward to reading about your long solo XC. :)

I see that you signed up to come to Gaston's. :) That would be great if you could make it. :yes:

Hey Purdue, now that you're signed off >50NM, you'll be able to join us at KJVL on 2/2 at 10:00! :yes:

I'm looking forward to reading about your long solo XC. :)

I see that you signed up to come to Gaston's. :) That would be great if you could make it. :yes:

Thanks Diana. I'm looking forward to posting it, I hope the WX holds. I hope I can make Gaston's also, next time I'm at the airport, I'll inquire about booking a plane for that weekend....

Hey Purdue, now that you're signed off >50NM, you'll be able to join us at KJVL on 2/2 at 10:00! :yes:

Hi Grant. I'm definitely interested. How long are you guys planning on being there? I might have to skip this one, but definitely make the next one, (when I have my ticket) as I was born in Indianapolis, and half of my family are Boilermakers, and have been looking forward to taking my long XC to LAF/PIA. However, if for some reason the WX busts South, etc., I'm there!:yes::D

Purdue

Hi Grant. I'm definitely interested. How long are you guys planning on being there? I might have to skip this one, but definitely make the next one, (when I have my ticket) as I was born in Indianapolis, and half of my family are Boilermakers, and have been looking forward to taking my long XC to LAF/PIA. However, if for some reason the WX busts South, etc., I'm there!:yes::D

Purdue
The details are at http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/showthread.php?p=262027. I think it's a 10:00 gathering, until ... ? I know Bruce and Sue need to book out promptly for their daughter's concert at 2:00!

Updated to include "Cruddy, Cruddy, CRUDDY Weather."

Purdue

Purdue,
If you can't make Gastons, you'll have to stop by the Clow Cavalcade of Planes! It's the same weekend! (I won't see you there, though, because, barring BAD weather, we'll be at Gastons!)

Hi Paul,

I certainly will add you (and any others) on the side of my blog. I'll compile my list and add it this weekend.:yes:

Updated to include "Everything but the Kitchen Sink." (Solo time, checkride prep, 3 knowledge exams passed, and an article on me in the local paper, oh, and I have no desire to attend ERAU)

Good idea Purdue. I am doing the same thing about building my Searey kitplane here in Far North Queensland, Australia. If anyone cares check it out at http://building-a-searey.blogspot.com/

Paul

Nice Write up,... must feel great being where you are in training and passing all those exams. Good job on the article "and stuff", that's some good press for GA and the airport.

Looking forward to reading more!

Nice Write up,... must feel great being where you are in training and passing all those exams. Good job on the article "and stuff", that's some good press for GA and the airport.

Looking forward to reading more!

Thanks Rob. I tried to get a positive spin in there....

In the next couple of days or so, is it OK if I add a link to your blog (nice one BTW--hopefully solo this week?:goofy:) on the side of mine?

Purdue

PS--There will be a XC update coming in the next day or so as well....:)

Hi Grant,

I'm not sure how I missed this, but if I'm not at Gastons, I'll most definitely be there, thanks for the heads up!

Purdue

Purdue,
If you can't make Gastons, you'll have to stop by the Clow Cavalcade of Planes! It's the same weekend! (I won't see you there, though, because, barring BAD weather, we'll be at Gastons!)

Sure! you can add a link. I posted one for you as well on my blog. Thanks!

Sorry it took me a while, but I got ya up there, it was a lot easier than I thought it was going to be.....

Updated to include my first solo XC....

As to the asterisk, I didn't include this on my blog, as I have some nervous relatives that read it, but about 2 minutes after I departed SQI, I had some excitement...

RFD APP and I......

Me: Squawk 3141 Skyhawk 389...

RFD APP: (Instantly) Skyhawk 389 traffic 12 o'clock, less than 1 mile... Right about now I uttered a "Oh S***" and started a steep turn to the South, I was pretty much heading due East... 2,500 (I was at 2, 700, and instantly gained 500 feet) report in sight....

Me: Negative contact, (It occurred to me to see if he would recommend a heading to roll out on, so....) request vector around traffic....

RFD APP: I suggest a Southernly heading sir, (I figured you can't get more Southern than 180*) he called the traffic again, and told me that he was "doing air work"....

He called the traffic for me 3-4 more times, (all within 1 mile) and I never got him in sight. He eventually said "traffic no longer a factor..." and I turned back on course....

Purdue

Wow, sounds like you handled the situation well. Good job for getting the controller to vector you around when you didn't have him in sight.

Thanks PJ.

Update coming soon on "No XC for me yet, and my best lesson ever..."

Purdue

Wow, sounds like you handled the situation well. Good job for getting the controller to vector you around when you didn't have him in sight.

Updated to include "My Best Lesson Yet..."

Purdue

Updated to include " No XC=A Great Experience." I turned around on a long XC due to WX, and logged 3.0 total, and I learned a lot.

The asterisk: After I checked the AWOS's, that reported clear, I flicked on the GPS to see exactly how far away I was. It said 17 miles, and seeing the cloudy skies directly ahead of me, I thought to myself, "Well, I'm only 17 miles out, I can make it, the AWOS is reporting clear..." My next thought was, "You moron, millions (my exaggeration of course) of pilots have died doing this, due to getthereitis, turn around now." And I did. I reversed course, went to the JOT VOR, and told RFD APP what I was doing. I'm very glad I was able to recognize my potential getthereitis...

Purdue

Back