My Journey to my PPL-A Blog...(With Pics and Videos)

purdue1014

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Brent
Hello All,

I've decided to start a blog of my flight training as a way to have a journal of what I did every lesson, and so others who are contemplating taking flying lessons can see what it is like. I will also post pics/videos that I take, as I think that makes it a little more interesting. I should be fully caught up by the end of this week, with my next writeup including a possible ungrounded mag, and a video or two. The address is www.purdue1014.blogspot.com.

Purdue

P S

Can someone post a rebutal to an anon-hole in my blog? The anon said

"Good stuff, keep on bloggin'.

But I must go on the record, that I think GA is getting a free ride in this country - airports are getting more and more crowded, but GA aircraft can still fly into the most crowded airports. We need to start auctioning off airspace and landing rights to the highest bidders! "

I am 99.9% sure that my uncle posted that. He is 100% serious, and it would be good if someone other than me tried to persuade him. He eats, sleeps and breaths business, as he has a Harvard MBA. I'm not sure if I'll ever get through to him, but I'd like to try....

Thanks,

Purdue

Last edited:

But I must go on the record, that I think GA is getting a free ride in this country - airports are getting more and more crowded, but GA aircraft can still fly into the most crowded airports. We need to start auctioning off airspace and landing rights to the highest bidders! "

I am 99.9% sure that my uncle posted that. He is 100% serious, and it would be good if someone other than me tried to persuade him. He eats, sleeps and breaths business, as he has a Harvard MBA. I'm not sure if I'll ever get through to him, but I'd like to try....

Thanks,

Purdue

I'll put in my two cents...from someone who flew into La Guardia five days a week and now flies into Boston Logan four days a week, I can tell you for certain our delays aren't GA related...I mean, the G-Vs and Falcon 2000s that clutter up those airports once or twice an hour may get in front of us, but I dont' think they can slow us down much.

Oh ya, and welcome to the cult that is blogging :).

Last edited:
You mention on your blog that the back seat doesn't have a jack for a headset, have you checked the duplex jacks at Radio Shack? I have bought these for my grandchildren so they could share on trips.

I'll put in my two cents...from someone who flew into La Guardia five days a week and now flies into Boston Logan four days a week, I can tell you for certain our delays aren't GA related...I mean, the G-Vs and Falcon 2000s that clutter up those airports once or twice an hour may get in front of us, but I dont' think they can slow us down much.

Oh ya, and welcome to the cult that is blogging :).

Thanks Teller. So far no response from my Uncle, but he is not one to shy away from an arguement, he might make a counter point...

This blogging is indeed pretty cool, I'm off to type up my next write up.

Purdue

You mention on your blog that the back seat doesn't have a jack for a headset, have you checked the duplex jacks at Radio Shack? I have bought these for my grandchildren so they could share on trips.

No, however that is good to know for the future, thanks!

Purdue

Thanks Teller. So far no response from my Uncle, but he is not one to shy away from an arguement, he might make a counter point...

This blogging is indeed pretty cool, I'm off to type up my next write up.

Purdue

Of course he can make a counterpoint, he just will be required to do so without benefit of supporting fact.

Hello All,

I've decided to start a blog of my flight training as a way to have a journal of what I did every lesson, and so others who are contemplating taking flying lessons can see what it is like. I will also post pics/videos that I take, as I think that makes it a little more interesting. I should be fully caught up by the end of this week, with my next writeup including a possible ungrounded mag, and a video or two. The address is www.purdue1014.blogspot.com.

Purdue

P S

Thanks,

Purdue
Excellent! PS your mom is brave. Mine would never do that. :)

Updated with unfortunately only 1 video, (the other one wouldn't upload) and a loose bowl leaking fuel on the ventri plate.

Purdue

Last edited:
Yeah. I'll send him an email with the 3 responses that were given....

Of course he can make a counterpoint, he just will be required to do so without benefit of supporting fact.

Purdue, I remember when you posted a few years ago on the red board about having problems getting your mom's approval concerning your flying. It's good to hear that you got things worked out and that she is part of your journey now.

You are to be commended for pursuing your dream, and in such a positive way. Please keep us posted on your progress. :yes:

Purdue, I remember when you posted a few years ago on the red board about having problems getting your mom's approval concerning your flying. It's good to hear that you got things worked out and that she is part of your journey now.

You are to be commended for pursuing your dream, and in such a positive way. Please keep us posted on your progress. :yes:

Thanks again Di!

Welcome back to flying! I'm just a few miles north of you in Romeoville (though based out of Clow).

Thanks Grant. If you don't mind me asking, are you geographically closer to Clow?

Welcome back to flying! I'm just a few miles north of you in Romeoville (though based out of Clow).

BTW, my Uncle should respond to those comments with in the next 24 hours. FWIW, after seeing the thread in Spin on the WSJ article, he reads the WSJ cover to cover everyday, and pretty much believes that it's gospel....

Your blog really makes me wish I had video of my first 20 hours or so... sigh... :D

Keep at it, sounds like you are doing fine.

Thanks Grant. If you don't mind me asking, are you geographically closer to Clow?
Closer to Lewis, but they didn't have a flight school other than Lewis U., which is only available to credit students.

BTW, I presume you're aware that Lewis is planning to get a permanent tower within a few years? (As opposed to the temporary one they get for races).

Thanks Grant. No I'm not. First off, what are the races? That is very interesting on the TWR, do you know where you heard that from? (I believe you, but I have no idea if my CFI knows about that, and if he doesn't I would like some sort of proof to show him...) I assume that the addition of a TWR would add non Lewis FBO's, no?

Thanks,

Purdue

Closer to Lewis, but they didn't have a flight school other than Lewis U., which is only available to credit students.

BTW, I presume you're aware that Lewis is planning to get a permanent tower within a few years? (As opposed to the temporary one they get for races).

Thanks Grant. No I'm not. First off, what are the races? That is very interesting on the TWR, do you know where you heard that from? (I believe you, but I have no idea if my CFI knows about that, and if he doesn't I would like some sort of proof to show him...) I assume that the addition of a TWR would add non Lewis FBO's, no?

Thanks,

Purdue

The races are the NASCAR races at the Joliet Speedway. IIRC, they also put a TFR around the speedway when they are going on, so pay attention to them; they aren't far from you!

http://www.suburbanchicagonews.com/heraldnews/news/539878 said:
The agency that runs the airport at Lewis University is making plans to expand a runway next year and later add a control tower. The Joliet Regional Port District has applied for a $3.4 million federal grant to add 1,400 feet to its north-south runway, which is 5,100 feet long. The Will County Board voted in August to provide the $90,000 the district needs to get the matching grant.

I've also heard it from the airport manager at Clow and the AOPA ASN volunteer for Lewis.

Not sure what you mean when you say "the addition of a TWR would add non Lewis FBO's". There is an FBO on the field currently that isn't owned, AFAIK, by Lewis University. They just don't do flight instruction there. I don't know what effect that the addition of a tower would have on businesses on the field.

The races are the NASCAR races at the Joliet Speedway. IIRC, they also put a TFR around the speedway when they are going on, so pay attention to them; they aren't far from you!

I've also heard it from the airport manager at Clow and the AOPA ASN volunteer for Lewis.

Not sure what you mean when you say "the addition of a TWR would add non Lewis FBO's". There is an FBO on the field currently that isn't owned, AFAIK, by Lewis University. They just don't do flight instruction there. I don't know what effect that the addition of a tower would have on businesses on the field.
Gotcha, I thought you meant air races, or some sort of university thing...Yes, I do know about the racetrack, last lesson, lovely LM neglected to tell me that there was a race that day...They just don't do flight instruction there, answered my question, thanks.

BTW, thanks for the heads up in the PM...

Purdue

Great write-ups! For 4.9 hours, those landings look pretty good to me (and trust me, you'll have worse on some days long after the checkride!)

Yes, NASCAR races are covered by the "standard" major sporting event 3000-3, +/- 1 hour TFR which also covers NCAA Division I football, Major League Baseball, and NFL games. The NOTAM (3/1862) says it covers every "MAJOR MOTOR SPEEDWAY EVENT," and I know that includes all NASCAR Nextel Cup races (as well as IRL, CART/Champ Car, and Formula 1), but I don't know how far down the NASCAR food chain that goes (Busch Series? Craftsman Truck? ARCA/REMAX?). My guess is Cup races only, given that baseball only includes the majors, and not AAA (which is essentially what the Busch Series is).

Thanks for the info Ron!

Yes, NASCAR races are covered by the "standard" major sporting event 3000-3, +/- 1 hour TFR which also covers NCAA Division I football, Major League Baseball, and NFL games. The NOTAM (3/1862) says it covers every "MAJOR MOTOR SPEEDWAY EVENT," and I know that includes all NASCAR Nextel Cup races (as well as IRL, CART/Champ Car, and Formula 1), but I don't know how far down the NASCAR food chain that goes (Busch Series? Craftsman Truck? ARCA/REMAX?). My guess is Cup races only, given that baseball only includes the majors, and not AAA (which is essentially what the Busch Series is).

Hello All,

I have 4 write ups coming in the next couple of days. I've had a busy last week, but there will be 2 lessons on maneuvers, a night XC to RFD, and 1 about what we do tomorrow...The cross country was a blast!

My Uncle finally responded to the user fee comments here:

He said:

Hey Teller- I don't disagree with you about the delay problems being largely the airlines' fault - they will all try to cram into the peak time slots because that's when people want to fly - that is, until we auction the landing slots/travel lanes and the 6pm departure costs $50 bucks more than the 2pm departure and so on. And everyone joins the auction - let RJs big against big jets, and GA aircraft against them as well.

Without doing this the RJs that are taking over routes from big jets (last weekend I flew boston to austin on a 75 seat RJ) and the air taxis/$4M honda jets that I keep hearing about will drive up takeoffs/landings/airlines exponentially.

Gary, I don't think I'm slurping garbage. But why don't you tell where you 're getting your caviar from? What reports/data are you basing you claim on that GA is paying its fair share. The $0.21 cents a gallon - what's it amount to across all GA and how it compare to the total costs GA creates?

Anyone for a refute?

Thanks for reading,

Purdue

Follow-up on "Major Motorsports": According to AOPA's page on the subject, this includes Nextel Cup, Busch Series, and Craftsman Truck events, but not ARCA, Hooters, ASA, etc. And for what it's worth, the AOPA list includes Formula One and IRL, but not Champ Car, although I would give any Champ Car event the same 3 miles/3000 feet avoidance. That said, I would still not do anything that could be even remotely construed as "buzzing" of even the local Friday night dirt races up at Delmar, although I wouldn't worry about overflying the track at 2000 feet while descending into SBY.

Follow-up on "Major Motorsports": According to AOPA's page on the subject, this includes Nextel Cup, Busch Series, and Craftsman Truck events, but not ARCA, Hooters, ASA, etc. And for what it's worth, the AOPA list includes Formula One and IRL, but not Champ Car, although I would give any Champ Car event the same 3 miles/3000 feet avoidance. That said, I would still not do anything that could be even remotely construed as "buzzing" of even the local Friday night dirt races up at Delmar, although I wouldn't worry about overflying the track at 2000 feet while descending into SBY.

Hello All,

First off, thanks again Ron!:yes:

I have added two updates, my first maneuver lesson, and a night XC to RFD. :goofy: There is a couple of pics and a video from the XC. Also, my Uncle made some pro-user fees comments in the "Feedback Appreciated" entry...

Thanks for reading,

Purdue

Hello All,

I have now also added two new updates; another maneuvering lesson, and a "really windy" lesson. My next update should come by Tuesday, and will include pics/videos from my hour of dual in Florida tomorrow...

Thanks for reading,

Purdue

Updated to include my lesson in Florida, with pictures and videos....

Updated to include cruddy landings...

Updated to include better landings...:goofy:

Updated to include better landings...:goofy:
Thanks for the update Purdue. It sounds like you're over that landing slump. :)

I'll be interested in reading your update about those stalls and slips that you're planning for today. :yes:

The WX is supposed to be perfect tomorrow, and I might solo, (Wahoo!) only departure stalls left to do. (Sean was feeling a little queasy with the winds last weekend.) (Wahoo!) Last week was fun, slips and Xwind landings are a BLAST, while power off stalls, (something I've been looking forward to since being on these forums) were anticlimactic. A full write-up of last weeks lesson will come on Sunday, as I'm going to get a full night's sleep, and memorize emergency procedures.

Purdue
Thanks for the update Purdue. It sounds like you're over that landing slump. :)

I'll be interested in reading your update about those stalls and slips that you're planning for today. :yes:

The WX is supposed to be perfect tomorrow, and I might solo, (Wahoo!) only departure stalls left to do.
I have patrol tomorrow that will be around your area several times during the day. If you hear a Coast Guard aircraft on freq that will be me, if you can say hi.

Scott, this is kinda off topic, but are you a Coastie or CG Aux? Just curious.

Purdue, I find this very interesting to check out, especially going through all of this stuff myself. I'm at 12.2 hours as of Thursday evening. I soloed last week at 10.7 hours. Winds were a bit high that day, 10 kts or so, but the day before we were out flying in 15-20 kts variable crosswinds with lots of wind shears, so 10 kts was easy. :)

I hope you enjoy your first solo. Mine was a real blast. Just getting to fly in the plane by yourself for the first time is an amazing feeling.

Word of advice: Don't wear nice shirts to flying lessons until after you solo at this point. :)

I added something for you.

I read the WSJ too, and find it the best source of news on the market. One must always cast a jaundiced eye on anything one reads, however, no matter how authoritative.

Unfortunately, so few people know anything about GA other than "they're little planes, you have to be nuts to go up in one." They are susceptible to airline propaganda blaming delays on "hotshot" private pilots. Ignorance must be combated with education. Kudos to you for reaching out to this forum.

Back