my instructor is mentioning solo a lot lately...

muleywannabe

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Cherokee235
I feel like I am ready, how do I show him that I am truly ready?
we did stall practice last week again, I felt like I did everything like I was supposed to with the exception of the power on or departure stall, I started out with too much airspeed but he critiqued me and I fixed it on the next several. The power off stall I felt comfortable doing and I set it up correctly. I feel safe flying, I feel comfortable, the next stage is more emergency preparedness work this week, per my request... I want to have a vast knowledge of emergency procedures!!!

How did you guys show your CFI you were ready? or do they tell you when you are ready? I have heard from three different pilots, three different stories, one pilot told me he soloed after 16 hours...and the other two around 25-30 hours. However, their CFI's all had different requirements for solo. We are going by the book, which I like.

we did stall practice last week again, I felt like I did everything like I was supposed to with the exception of the power on or departure stall, I started out with too much airspeed but he critiqued me and I fixed it on the next several. The power off stall I felt comfortable doing and I set it up correctly. I feel safe flying, I feel comfortable, the next stage is more emergency preparedness work this week, per my request... I want to have a vast knowledge of emergency procedures!!!

How did you guys show your CFI you were ready? or do they tell you when you are ready? I have heard from three different pilots, three different stories, one pilot told me he soloed after 16 hours...and the other two around 25-30 hours. However, their CFI's all had different requirements for solo. We are going by the book, which I like.

The number one way a CFI should be ready to let you solo is consistent landings in calm and up to 5kt winds. Then you get to show him three full stop landings while he stands on the runway.

He/she on a minor level should make sure you can recognize a stall and how one happens and a little bit on your sit awareness and radio calls.

Last edited:
The number one way a CFI should be ready to let you solo is consistent landings in calm and up to 8kt winds. Then you get to show him three full stop landings while he stands on the runway.

He/she on a minor level should make sure you can recognize a stall and how one happens and a little bit on your sit awareness and radio calls.

That is very encouraging...I am there and I feel past the point you mentioned above. I am glad that I am learning well then, that is good to know. I enjoy learning and eager to learn more.

Last edited:
SWEET!

Get ready for a memory you won't forget for a very long time - first kiss kind of thing...

Anyway - start wearing shirts you won't mind having destroyed.

MOST IMPORTANT: Relax. Have fun. And remember what your CFI told you.

brian];1530991 said:
SWEET!

Get ready for a memory you won't forget for a very long time - first kiss kind of thing...

I am sure it will happen in the next week or two, I will start wearing ratty tshirts haha

If you feel ready, tell him you are ready. He should let you solo when he feels you can safely do so. My CFI did not solo me until I let him know I was ready. It's not a race. Good Luck!

If you feel ready, tell him you are ready. He should let you solo when he feels you can safely do so. My CFI did not solo me until I let him know I was ready. It's not a race. Good Luck!

I have mentioned it to him recently a lot, he did a cool trick on me the other day, he asked me to pick him up at the FBO and he was " a friend on a camera excursion". then we did an introduction of short field landings and take offs. pretty cool deal. fun time

This might not have anything to do with your situation, but how much experience does your instructor have? When I was a new CFI the hardest decision I had to make was letting my first few students solo. I think I was more nervous than they were.

I have mentioned it to him recently a lot, he did a cool trick on me the other day, he asked me to pick him up at the FBO and he was " a friend on a camera excursion". then we did an introduction of short field landings and take offs. pretty cool deal. fun time

Sounds like a fun CFI. Mine didn't do much in the way of fun and was all serious 100% of the time. Didn't even cut my shirt after solo. After my solo, I really didn't think it was a big deal. I do look back at it now and think "what the hell was I thinking, taking an airplane up all by myself back then???". Thing is, there is so much more you will learn every time you go flying that looking back I did not know much at all at solo time. Of-course I knew enough, but just enough. I'm sure you will be soloing soon. :D

One of the important intangibles is, are you ready to be PIC?

If you're asking the CFI's permission to do stuff, for instance, that might be a problem. On the other hand, if YOU are noticing and fixing problems on your own, you're ready. Verbalizing helps here. For example, "I'm a little high on final, setting power to 1400."

I have no idea if this is a factor here, but it can be.

Verbalizing helps here. For example, "I'm a little high on final, setting power to 1400."

+1 on the above. I got used to doing this with my CFI so he didn't have to read my mind and then it came natural on the checkride.

As for the "when" part of soloing, it definitely differs between all pilots and CFIs. Mine was an unexpected moment at 8.x hours in the logbook. CFI says after a little pattern work "stop here, I'm going to step out." I responded in my best "Top Gun" surprised voice "You're gonna do WHAT?!?"

Sounds like your solo is coming soon. You won't forget it! Best of luck!

does your school have a presolo test with a other cfi? or a small written exam before you solo?

It's not up to you to "show him that I am truly ready" -- you just keep flying, and your instructor will tell you when. IOW, relax -- it will happen when it happens and not a minute sooner.

One of the important intangibles is, are you ready to be PIC?

If you're asking the CFI's permission to do stuff, for instance, that might be a problem. On the other hand, if YOU are noticing and fixing problems on your own, you're ready. Verbalizing helps here. For example, "I'm a little high on final, setting power to 1400."

I have no idea if this is a factor here, but it can be.

Thats great advice and he mentions that to me as well to verbalize. It becomes habit forming actually

It's not up to you to "show him that I am truly ready" -- you just keep flying, and your instructor will tell you when. IOW, relax -- it will happen when it happens and not a minute sooner.

thats my thoughts as well. Its not like I am in a hurry, I made a vow to myself and my family that being in a hurry to fly is not a smart move, check, re-check and re-check again is my motive.

Thats great advice and he mentions that to me as well to verbalize. It becomes habit forming actually

Watch the habit…it can bite you.

Great for the check ride.

I once verbalized that I was climbing to 13000 to find smooth air in a high pass, and I had 30 minutes before I needed oxygen. The passengers were a bit apprehensive.

I solo'd my first time at 14.8. We are using the AOPA Syllabus and pre-solo and solo are two consecutive lessons, along with the pre-solo written test. So when we got there I just had to show that I could take off, flew the pattern and land without any input from him.

Just don't wear one with a picture on the back! :nono: My son did that and it kind of spoils the "personalization" that his CFI did on it. :D
Best of luck!!

I am sure it will happen in the next week or two, I will start wearing ratty tshirts haha

I solo'd my first time at [xxx].
Who cares? :dunno: Time to solo has zero significance to anyone other than those Student Pilots who have been misled into thinking it's a race to the finish.

As I said, relax and fly the plane -- your instructor will tell you when you're ready, and then you'll lose your shirt. That's all there is to it.

I planned to lose my shirt when I bought my plane anyway so... it all worked out.

Everyone is in a hurry to solo. It's only a number,it's supposed to be how you control the airplane. The instructor may see something you don't think is a big deal. And doesn't want you developing bad habits. Relax you'll be a better pilot in the end.

One morning my private CFI had me do a couple of takeoffs and landings with him. On the last landing he had me do it without flaps. Then he signed me off and got out of the plane.

Who cares? :dunno: Time to solo has zero significance to anyone other than those Student Pilots who have been misled into thinking it's a race to the finish.

As I said, relax and fly the plane -- your instructor will tell you when you're ready, and then you'll lose your shirt. That's all there is to it.
Yep. Why is this such a big deal for everyone.

I feel like I am ready, how do I show him that I am truly ready?....

1a) just fly the plane, and
1b) enjoy every minute of it

It will happen when it's supposed to happen, although personally I like the fact that you're telling your instructor you're ready. Let's him know that even if ur not ready, ur mentally focusing on the task.

Relax and enjoy the ride. Once you do solo, the feeling of accomplishment will be with you forever. It's all part of the fun...at least for me.

You won't know how much you don't know. After my solo, my CFI mumbled something about putting the odds in my favor of coming back alive.
:D

Has the instructor discussed the differences in how the plane flies and feels
with only you in it? There will be some difference with less weight.

When I soloed I really hadn't been thinking about it. We'd spent time on stall recovery and take offs and landings to the point I was consistent with them and could recognize when something needed to be changed to adjust the approach. We spent the lesson before that entirely on TO's and LDGs. We talked about the lighter gross weight effects. He had me pull over to the ramp area, signed my logbook, called the tower that I'd be solo and got out. I recall my first thought upon liftoff was .. "YEE HAAA .. this thing goes a lot better without that extra 200 lbs. This is FUN."

RT

Enough people care to make specific posts about it. It's naive to think that people don't and shouldn't care. Seems students will ask one of two things; how long will this take?.. how much will this costs?

Did anyone start pilot training and never ask these questions? Perhaps there's people out there they want to be surprised on what they'll do next flight, next week, in a month. Maybe they want to be a perpetual student.

Enough people care to make specific posts about it. It's naive to think that people don't and shouldn't care. Seems students will ask one of two things; how long will this take?.. how much will this costs?

Did anyone start pilot training and never ask these questions? Perhaps there's people out there they want to be surprised on what they'll do next flight, next week, in a month. Maybe they want to be a perpetual student.
It's hard to answer those questions though. You can't give them a set number as it all depends on the student. I get these questions all the time as I work Customer Service at a flight school. How many hours to get the license, how many hours to solo, how much will it cost, etc. It would be irresponsible of me to give them specific numbers and actually impossible for me to give them specific numbers. I give them an estimate. 60-70 hours for the license. Roughly $7,500-$11,000 total. If I tell them you will get your license at 43.8 hours and spend $7,568.92 and they don't do it by that time/money they are going to blame me for giving them bogus answers

Enough people care to make specific posts about it.
No, too many people make mention of it.
It's naive to think that people don't and shouldn't care.
I know they do care, but I also know from 40+ years in this business that they shouldn't, and because it is mostly destructive, I do everything I can to discourage it. I've seen too many Student Pilots get frustrated and/or discouraged because they haven't soloed in the time some other Student Pilot told them about doing it, or the time they saw in some advertising or internet site. Then we instructors have to become psychological counselors to get them out of their funk before they can progress again, and I hate having to do that.

Seems students will ask one of two things; how long will this take?.. how much will this costs?
If their goal is a pilot certificate (other than Student, which you can have for the asking), I'm happy to talk about it. But if the goal is merely solo, I don't want to discuss it and frankly, I would discourage someone from entering flight training with solo as their only goal.

I don't much care if they ask, but the answer they should get is "It will happen when you're ready, it varies depending on the trainee and the circumstances, and the amount of time to solo really doesn't matter anyway." And folks posting their hours to solo on the internet don't help us convey that message.

I completely understand Jordan, it seems hard to nail down a specific but as you know it's what people want to know and they ask it. I found in my research before jumping into this that most people gave ranges which I'm sure helps prospective pilots in deciding if they want to take it on. I personally had little idea so I had to research it and talk to some schools.

I get what Ron is saying and I neither agree nor disagree, because not being an instructor I don't have to deal with the missed expectations or hurt feelings of student pilots. Seems this forum is about training and in a majority of threads the training discussion involves disclosure of hours in reference to evolutions. I find this helpful but apparently others find it appalling.

+1
It's funny my CFI kept asking me if I was ready and I kept saying no.
One they he handed me the key and walked away.
Time flies!

I think with most students today its a financial thing and a time management thing. I for one own a plane with two other people, so the cost of rental is minimal. My biggest expense is the time taken to get this all finished up and scheduling with a CFI and so on.

It takes a toll on your family time for sure. We live in a small town and I have gone through 2 CFI's already. so Its a timing thing mostly and getting to the solo part is an important stage right now to me. Then I am over the next hill and on to the next step. It has taken me 8 months to get 30 hours. with the majority of the hours coming from June til now. If I lose another CFI, it will set me back again...

I think my issues mentioned above are the same for most people learning to fly in a small towns. I went to a pilot meeting yesterday and everyone there said they get calls all the time for flight lessons but no CFI's and no rental planes. Its just tough to get it done in a small town.

You won't know how much you don't know. After my solo, my CFI mumbled something about putting the odds in my favor of coming back alive.

Thats funny...I have my Solo on tape, and as my CFI was getting out of the plane, he started to say "It's been nice knowing you" :yikes: but stopped himself and said "its been a nice journey". We both had a good laugh once I returned.

No, too many people make mention of it.
I know they do care, but I also know from 40+ years in this business that they shouldn't, and because it is mostly destructive, I do everything I can to discourage it. I've seen too many Student Pilots get frustrated and/or discouraged because they haven't soloed in the time some other Student Pilot told them about doing it, or the time they saw in some advertising or internet site. Then we instructors have to become psychological counselors to get them out of their funk before they can progress again, and I hate having to do that.

If their goal is a pilot certificate (other than Student, which you can have for the asking), I'm happy to talk about it. But if the goal is merely solo, I don't want to discuss it and frankly, I would discourage someone from entering flight training with solo as their only goal.

I don't much care if they ask, but the answer they should get is "It will happen when you're ready, it varies depending on the trainee and the circumstances, and the amount of time to solo really doesn't matter anyway." And folks posting their hours to solo on the internet don't help us convey that message.

God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.
Reinhold Niebuhr

Tell your CFI

"Let's stop talking about it and start being about it"

It takes as long as it takes, typically 10-15hrs, if it goes much beyond 20 it involves a conversation as to how we want to proceed.

Mine was offered at about 17hrs, but I didn't have insurance so it actually happened at about 19 hours. My first 3.5 hours were just landing practice for a trip to Africa in case I needed to land the 182 we were flying… well enough to survive hopefully.

Mine was in November in Nevada so we had some days with wind that I was not about to solo in, but flying with the CFI was fine.

brian];1530991 said:
SWEET!

Exactly !

It will come, dont rush it. When you are making consistent landings without him having to grab the controls and he feels like your maneuvers are looking good he will determine you are ready to solo. You show him you are ready by feeling relaxed and confident in your ability to fly the airplane. Like i say dont rush it, it will come soon!

Back