My house is haunted by a young boy

A little WD-40 will clear that moaning metal landing calculator right up ... ;)

We bought our house from the heir of the man who died in it, from cancer. My son, who is sensitive to such matters, claims that the house is haunted by the ghost of its previous owner, but I've never felt an extra presence. He claims that the children can see and talk to him. Anyway, my son has determined that since the house is actually composed of two buildings that were moved onto the lot and combined into one house, and the primary building, where the old man died, was originally a church, there are very many good spirits in the house protecting us at all times.

I don't know. There are many things still to be learned about life and death and about how we communicate with each other. If you want to believe, I have no problem with that. If not, I have no problem with that either.

I don't know. There are many things still to be learned about life and death and about how we communicate with each other. If you want to believe, I have no problem with that. If not, I have no problem with that either.

+1. I cannot claim to know it all.

Radio would have been magic before it became science.

You deprived a little ghost girl of TV, not cool man, not cool.:D

Yeah, what he said!

poltergeist_2.jpg

I just got a text from Mrs 6PC
"GD. I just heard the sound. By Myself. Siht"

I replied:
"Scary when you are alone isn't it?"

I just got a text from Mrs 6PC
"GD. I just heard the sound. By Myself. Siht"

I replied:
"Scary when you are alone isn't it?"

Wait, aren't you the guy that hides in closets to scare your wife? Maybe this is payback?:wink2:

And the awesome text from Mrs 6PC just now:

"Yes! And this is silly, I know but this is supposed to be YOUR crazy, not mine. I was telling myself that there was a sound and you were convincing yourself and me that it was a voice. Hard to say that when I'm hearing it by myself"

This is so damn weird.

Edit:
999988338005.png

No such thing as ghosts. Zero credible evidence.
The human mind however can be extremely powerful and convincing in creating false beliefs and observations, tons of evidence of that.
In aviation, there is scientific explaination for every aspect of flight. That doesn't change on the ground for anything else. Keep looking.

I disagree that there is a rigorous scientific explanation for every aspect of flight. And I can tell you that a lot of engineering that went in to the design of aircraft is to a large extent empirical, from engine thermodynamics to airfoil fluid mechanics.

There is a lot of things science can't explain. In many cases we don't understand the science. We are gaining more scientific understanding every day. Just because we don't understand something doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

In the OP's case, I would rule out everything else before falling back on some sort of ghostly explanation, because, as you say, the mind can be very convincing of false beliefs and observations, and usually that tends to be the case with these kinds of things. But I wouldn't discount it categorically though.

And anyone that believes in their religion, also believes in the supernatural for that matter.

It's weird. I'm still not saying supernatural, but it's weird. Especially when no one else is in the room.

It's weird. I'm still not saying supernatural, but it's weird. Especially when no one else is in the room.

I really hope we don't find it is coming from the theater.
Since this started, I get the creeps just going up there at night.

Maybe a broken toy that is hidden/lost somewhere and is losing battery life? haha. Or it could be someone or something hiding beneath/above/within your home.

Seriously, you likely live in a wood balloon construction house like the rest of us. You have all manor of pipes, conduit and ducting running in the walls. In the summer time there can be great temperature differentials that cause the house to expand in the afternoon and contract in the evening. You have a pipe, or duct that is rubbing against something else as the dissimilar materials contract at different rates.

It makes a faint squeaking sound and your mind wants to hear "Mama". This is because you are a parent and you are always subliminally listening for this sound so that you can react if your child needs assistance. The more you tell people you hear Mama, the more others will hear those "words" too.

The mind is a powerful prankster. Just ask anyone who suffers from schizophrenia.

Either that, or you thought this forum needed a new subject and you like to have fun with audio recordings.;)

You can take this for what it is worth. I grew up in an old farm house. I don''t know the history of it, except that an old spinster lived there for quite a while. When I was growing up, I would often see movement out of the corner of my eye. Dark movement that sort of resembled a person, but not really that specific. I grew up with it and never even gave it a thought. I also had some imaginary friends, Jim, Mary, and the twins. Growing up on a farm with no one to play with, makes for an active imagination. So I grew up, and moved out. I've never seen the same movements out of the corner of my eye again after I left that house.

I have a younger sister. She is quite a bit younger than me, and we never played together or anything like that growing up. She got married, and she and her husband farmed out there when my dad retired and moved into town. One day, after her kids had grown up, we were talking about living out there, and she told me that her oldest had some imaginary friends he played with, you guessed it, Jim, Mary, and the twins. So I told her those were my imaginary friends as well, then told her about the movements that I saw. She freaked out and told me that she saw them often, but never really thought about it.

So a half dozen years pass after that conversation, my dad is gone, and my sister and her husband want to retire. They move into town. I was talking to her the other day, and she mentioned that in her new house, she does not see the movements out of the corner of her eye anymore. Interesting. I'm sure there is a logical explanation for it. :yes:

Nah, not here to mess with the forum. I prefer to stay on POA's good side.

And for the record, I am still expecting something mechanical. If I really thought there was a supernatural entity in my house I wouldn't spend another night there.

But it is damn creepy nonetheless.

How about doing a couple things:

1. Turn off the main breaker to your house for a while. If the noises stop, it's electrically related.

2. Turn of the water supply to the house. If the noises stop, it's a plumbing issue.

Okay I lied, three things.

3. Crawl up in the attic and see if you have bats or rats in there.

Dude - if that happens, don't call an exorcist, call the circus!

Put it on YouTube and be a YouTube hero for 15 minutes! Then call the circus, or a secret government laboratory (don't worry, they'll contact you first) and sell to the highest bidder!!

How about doing a couple things:

1. Turn off the main breaker to your house for a while. If the noises stop, it's electrically related.

2. Turn of the water supply to the house. If the noises stop, it's a plumbing issue.

Okay I lied, three things.

3. Crawl up in the attic and see if you have bats or rats in there.

We went up there yesterday. We have a walk-in attic upstairs. Bryan came with me, then left me alone up there. :rolleyes2: I looked through a bunch of storage bins to see if there was an old toy or something losing battery life or shorting out. Couldn't find anything. Over our office (the only room we've heard the sound), there is not solid flooring, so I couldn't walk over there. There is about 18 in-2 feet of that fluffy insulation stuff, and I asked Bryan if he wanted to dig through there to find the bones or remains of a body, but I think that's when he started to head back downstairs.

So nothing I could find in the attic, and no weird sounds -or any sounds at all -that could explain what we're hearing in the office. :dunno:

Since Bryan revealed he planted a garden, we need to rule out he didn't create some Solanum lycopersicums with murderous intent.

I agree with Sac. Kill the power, water and sit in a corner all night with nothing but a candle. If you hear it again then you probably have a problem.

I agree with Sac. Kill the power, water and sit in a corner all night with nothing but a candle. If you hear it again then you probably have a problem.

Or not. If it turns out to be a ghost, at least it's not an expensive electrical or plumbing repair.

$2650.00 and I'll come and investigate further for you.

My house used to be on a well. I've since converted the well water pump to service only the outside water faucets. Recently I added a pressure valve for an automatic watering device for our chickens. Some of the pipes still run through the house basement to the outside faucets. Since I put that pressure valve in, at times early in the morning when the pressure is just right the pipes shake and it can be heard all over the house. The kids call it the boogieman. Its was a real issue for about a week when that ****er would start shaking at 2am, we are used to it now.

A few days later I am home on a Tuesday working at my desk in an empty house and I hear a kids voice say "Maaaaauuum" (2 syllables) and I think nothing of it, could be a kid playing outside but for whatever reason I noted that it was 9:25 AM

10 min later I hear "Mommy" again for whatever reason I note 9:35

at 9:45 I hear "Ma Ma"
[...]
One time it sounds like it is behind the wall my desk faces and another time, it comes from behind me.
[...]
Earlier this week both kids are asleep we are sitting it our respective computers quietly typing away.
[...]
We continue to work in the office and 5-6 more times every 10 minutes on the 5, we hear it. It is so consistant.
hear the sound and the clock changes from 10:35 to 10:36
hear the sound and the clock changes from 10:45 to 10:46
over and over.

I caught it once that evening on a recording
http://www.nflightphoto.com/mama.mp3

Then yesterday I worked from home and I caught it again. This recording is the original, followed by one with adaptive noise reduction followed by a third edit where I tried to isolate just the voice. There are a lot of artifacts in the audio from heavy editing.

You need to crank this one up and in the 2nd pass around the 7 second mark, you can hear "Ma Ma" followed by what I now assume is the dead kid's dead mom saying "Yes"
http://www.nflightphoto.com/mama2.mp3

The second link was recorded while I was out of the house. It was completely empty and all electronics were turned off except the recorder.

I don't hear anything remotely human sounding in your recordings - but they definitely sound like they come from something that produces near pure tones or ones with only a few harmonics, which is unlike a human voice. Wish I could feed those recordings into the FFT/spectrum analyzer app on my iPad, but it only works with the microphone input. One of these days I should look for a spectrum analyzer app that processes MP3 files.

Everything you note points to an electronic origin. The 10 minute period is a strong clue indicating that may be the case. That and the fact that you hear it in an office which is bound to have lots of electronic equipment with internal timers triggering various activities at regular schedules. Plus there are other things, like refrigerators with ice makers, clocks, heating and cooling motors, and things that you would not have shut off that could be causing the noise. And if something is starting to fail then it is more likely to start making noises that it didn't before.

Shutting off the water and the power (might as well chuck in the gas too!) will do nothing to change the fact that houses expand and contract every day normally. This expansion and contraction leads to mechanical movement and often sounds. Where I live, the temperatures between night and day can be quite wide and my house pops and bangs in the morning and the evening. People should really look at the explainable before jumping to conclusions that there are super natural forces at work.

Do you think either of these might cause a squeaking noise?

Noisy%20Pipe%204.JPG

Frost-Free-Sillcock-Make-sure-to-have-4-to-5-inches-of-copper-pipe-to-work-with-inside-your-house.png

Here's an illustration that might be describing the OP's exact situation-

670px-Quiet-Noisy-Pipes-Step-10.jpg

How would you know if it was there or not?:D

Robert A. Heinlein: 'Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."

Both of my grandparents died on their property. After my grandpa died my grandma said she saw him once in a while but figured it was her imagination. Then I bought the house and moved in. One night I woke up to a door being closed upstairs followed by my dog running upstairs to check it out. The garage door used to open and close by itself in the middle of the night. I built a new garage and incorporated the old into the house and it doesn't happen anymore. Walked into the kitchen once and every cabinet door was open. Lots of other unexplainable events as well over the last 14 years but since they happen once every few months they aren't too scary.

Back