My grandfather passed

SixPapaCharlie

May the force be with you
Display Name

Display name:
Sixer
I have never seen anyone die before. I did a few hours ago and it was okay.

My grandfather was a Navy vet, fire fighter, and huge Dallas Cowboy fan so you know he was kick ass. Always ready with a quip and a punchline, and I honestly can't think of a time in 40 years when we had much serious talk. I could ask him any question and the reply would be something snappy that I wish I had thought of. His name was (ugh.. "was") George but to us, he was Papaw.

Funny stuff always happened to him. A few years back he told a story how he managed to slam his finger in his car door passed the knuckle to the point that his finger was actually stuck and he couldn't get it out. He then mentioned that his keys were looped on the finger that was stuck in the door. So there he is with a finger caught in the door and his keys on the finger. I go "how did you get into a mess like that?" My then 85 year old grandfather goes "A pretty girl walked by the parking lot I was in and I briefly forgot how a door works"

I am so glad I got to fly him a couple years ago (me, my dad, and my grandparents):
fly.jpg

After he got out of the Navy, he went to work on some sort of magneto ignition systems (or something) on oil platforms in the gulf. He flew to work every day in a helicopter to work on these things.

These last few years he started going down hill. Stroke after stroke. Each a little worse than the prior. He would have moments of clarity here and there but frequently it would be as though he was staring through you. I lost count of the times that "We think this is it. Papaw is taking a turn for the worse" Honestly he has been so thin and frail for the last 10 years that we always worried anytime he would go to the hospital that it might be it.

For the last year though, he has been mostly in bed, wearing a diaper, and eating through a tube in his stomach. It has been very hard for him. My father (who might be a saint) got him 24 hr in home health care so he never had to not be at home and wouldn't have to live or die in a hospital.

This morning, I flew briefly and then my mom calls and says "We should start heading that direction." He has taken a turn for the worse. Ok, we drop the kids off at in laws (Just in case this is it which it surely wouldn't be. It never is)

I walked into his bedroom and lost it. My grandmother was in bed next to him and his eyes were closed, mouth gaping open and taking small breaths on a steady but slow cadence. Family started calling family and we all surrounded him and spoke to him.

My dad and uncle (his sons) held his hands and re lived all their childhood shenanigans and came clean on a lot of things they got away with as kids. It was fun and funny to hear all the crap they did as kids and now in their 60s telling their dad for the first time.

My grandfather was slowing down more and more and my dad goes "Daddy, if there is buried treasure somewhere that you know about, now would be the time to tell us" It was odd and somehow right that we were all watching him die but laughing and making jokes as though he might chime in and throw out a line. He didn't (because of the dying).

His breathing got shallow. Real shallow and long pauses between breaths. I am torn between wanting to look away and not see my grandfather die and kind of wanting him to hurry up and be free. The last year of his life had to be humiliating and just terrible.

My grandmother kept telling him "We're all here and we're all going to be OK, you can let go. No need to keep fighting"

It got real quiet and everyone filled the room. I could see a vein that had been rapidly pulsing in his neck stop moving. a couple deep breaths and a notably long exhale. That was it. No pain, no struggle, nothing scary. It was simple and sort of a sigh of relief that this man would no longer have to live like this.

Honestly I think the only thing I have ever seen die in my life are bugs and my hamster Ralph when I was 11. This was not near as traumatic as I would have imagined.

A few hours later my kids were brought over so we could talk to them. My daughter who is forever the scientist was like "Ok, so he is in heaven. I want to see his body, tell him goodbye and then go play with his cat". My son wanted to go into the room, but have him covered up just so he could say goodbye. He is sensitive and this will be a struggle for him for awhile.

We went back to the room and I am not sure the last time I saw a dead body. His appearance was different. I can't put my finger on it but he looked more like a wax museum figure than my grandfather.

I am really going to miss him and I regret not asking him more questions about his life and Navy experience. I think he would have rather been remembered how I remember him though as the guy with a punchline but I would liked to know more deeper stuff about him.

If you have aging parents / grand parents, talk to them, ask them questions, They are full of stories and history and when they are gone...

Anyway POA tonight you are my therapist. I saw something that I imagined would be incredibly traumatic. It was painful but in no way traumatic. If you happen to be having a drink tonight, feel free to raise a glass with me and if there is a Heaven, it just got a bit funnier.

Take care.

Thanks for this, Bryan. It is at once sobering and inspirational. His was a life well lived, and indeed well ended. Your family is fortunate to have had him, and he was fortunate to have had you.

Blessings, strength and comfort to you and your family.

Bryan, I'm sorry you had to experience this. I went through a similar situation with my great grandfather in 2013. Had a few bouts of heart problems and ultimately diagnosed with congestive heart failure. A few months later he was placed on Hospice care and induced with a morphine drip. Saw him the night before he passed, and I'm thankful. He was hurting and ready to go, asking the Good Lord to put him asleep. It's certainly not easy.

My condolences to you and your family Bryan. Godspeed to your Grandfather.

Sounds like great guy. And I want to think that going out with family like that made it easier on him.

I'm at the age where I've lost both parents, one in-law & the other fading fast, and my oldest brother from heart failure less than a year ago. Every situation and every individual is different, but your description of what you're experiencing sure overlapped a lot, and brought back some good memories of those family members for me Bryan.

Now we know where in the gene pool at least some (most?) of your great sense of humor is sourced from. ;)

Prayers to you and your family, and Godspeed to your grandfather.

Thanks for sharing this. I am sure it can't have been easy during parts of writing it.

Some very similar thoughts and experiences here Bryan, having had the privilege of knowing two great-grandmothers, and all four grandparents, as well as dad who's also passed. Well written.

You'll think of something you wish you could have asked them fairly often. That one never really ends. The sadness fades with time. The good memories stay.

RIP George. Condolences.

Bryan, my deepest sympathy to you and yours for your loss. Sounds like your grandfather was a Grand old man. And it may just be that he lives on through you.

Sincerest condolences to you and your family on the lass of your grandfather. It's hard for us that are left behind, but he is free now and will feel no more pain. Honor him with your wicked sense of humor that you must have surely gotten from him and your dad.

My heartfelt condolences to you and your family...

Well, I am in tears. Today is my father's 84th birthday. We've been very blessed but I know things could change in an instant. A classmate/friend, all through school, drowned last week, His funeral is Wednesday. I'm so sorry for your loss and happy your grandpa is at peace.

Last edited:
Bryan condolences to you and your family. I was with my mom on 6/28/17 when she passed. Making the decision to end life support was the toughest thing I've ever done. But it was peaceful. Your grandfather is in a better place and you got to say your goodbye, as did I with my mom. For that we should both be thankful.

Sorry for your loss, he is in a better place. Kudos to you for running to be with him in his final moments, many people run the other way.

So sorry for your loss. Sounds like your grandpa was a great man who led a long, full life with some pretty wonderful people to call family. A very lucky man.

I know what you mean about seeing someone's body after they have passed, and how there is something so different. It's not them anymore, they are gone. I have only ever seen one dead body and have made a point to not see another since.

I was tempted to go to the viewing when my grandpa passed a couple years ago, but seeing him - such a strong, proud, vibrant man - in failing health for so long had been hard enough. I wanted to hold onto the good memories of him and did not want my last to be of his corpse. We were close, and got closer after Katrina... after which he'd start calling me all the time. He had lost everything in Katrina. EVERYTHING. First and only time any of us ever witnessed the man shed a tear. He'd call me bitching about how his doctor told him he had another good 20 years left in him. ****ed him off. He was ready to go.

His funeral was a good one, though. I realize that's weird to say, but when things got their soberist - at the gravesite, when the priest was saying the final whatever and everyone was finally breaking down into tears - my cousin, who was tasked with placing the ashes into the ground, split his pants on bending over. :D It was so loud! I swear that was my grandpa's doing, because all the sobbing pansies (myself included) stopped their boohooing and started laughing. Even the priest.

It's great that you and your dad were still cracking jokes with your grandpa in his darkest hours. Especially in his darkest. Even if he couldn't respond, he heard. And I'm sure he was smiling on the inside.

Best to you and yours, Bryan.

Bryan, my deepest condolences to you and your family in the loss of your pawpaw. My thoughts and prayers go out to you and your family.

I'm so sorry to hear about this. Yes, it is the "circle of life", but that doesn't make it any easier.

I just went through this with my mother a couple of months ago. Fortunately for her, she had 82 years of healthy life, then had a stroke four years ago. She recovered some from her stroke, but last fall started to have a number of health issues that culminated in her death. She was sick enough to where it was as much a relief as a loss. It sounds like the same was true of your grandfather.

That is just an awesome picture of the four of you in the Cirrus.

Your Papaw's legacy lives on through you and your kids - make him proud and he will live on.
Sorry for your loss.

Condolences to you and your family

Bryan,

I'm so very sorry for your loss. Thanks for sharing his story, may he rest in piece, now pain free.

I spent the night with my father when he passed and I too confessed things and shared some laughs, he was always a funny guy and I knew he would appreciate it. I begged him to let go, that Mom would always be taken care of and thanked him for raising me to be the man that I am. Once taken off the meds and support he fought on for an hour, finally giving in. The process is etched in my memory, and I miss him fiercely. Thankfully, I have so many fun times and memories he will live on in me forever, as will your grandfather, in you.

So sorry for your loss. I can relate as I was with my father when he passed. I was alone with him as my mother and sister had sat with him all night long. First thing in the morning I showed up to relieve them so they could get breakfast and a few hours sleep. About 45 minutes after I got there he took his last breath. I held his hand and told him it was okay to go, that he'd done a great job in life and we all loved him. Love the picture in the plane, we took my mom for a ride a few years back. I think she was only 80 then and she loved it.

Sorry for you loss Bryan and family. Sounds like you inherited his wit. Nice write up

Thanks for sharing about your PaPaw - great picture. Our condolences for your loss. I can tell you were blessed by knowing him, and his memory will continue on in your family. So many times I wish I could have just one more conversation with my granddads, and my dad.
One day...

A beautifully written tribute to your grandfather. Condolences to your family and to you.

Sorry for your loss, though I'm amazed. We lost the entire previous generation before I was done being a teenager.

True story, in years previous we used to have numerous students beg out of midterm exams due to grandparent health problems. It became sufficiently common that instructors in multiple institutions would say that "exam time is perilous for grandparents". I think our charges got wind of it, because it doesn't happen with thats or too frequency anymore.

Sorry for your loss, though I'm amazed. We lost the entire previous generation before I was done being a teenager.

True story, in years previous we used to have numerous students beg out of midterm exams due to grandparent health problems. It became sufficiently common that instructors in multiple institutions would say that "exam time is perilous for grandparents". I think our charges got wind of it, because it doesn't happen with thats or too frequency anymore.

I inherited a family that lives long and has kids early.
I knew my great grandparents and my great grand father was around until I was in college.

My sister and I probably ended that tradition, having kids in our 30s instead of early 20s.

Thank you for sharing your touching story. Blessings to you all.

I knew my great grandparents and my great grand father was around until I was in college.

You are singularly blessed. My great grandparents are more or less lost to legend. There are a few very scratchy black and whites, and no one at all left to tell their stories. They took the greatest risk imaginable emigrating to North America, but why they did so and why they wound up where ether did is lost to time. I inherited a family that has few children late and life and either dies young or goes daffy in old age.

Condolences, Bryan. I have been in the same spot with my grandparents, and most recently an uncle. It's tough to stand by the bedside and watch, but I always wanted to be there for support of others in the room if for nothing else. I'm sure your grandfather was a blast to speak with.

My sister and I probably ended that tradition, having kids in our 30s instead of early 20s.

It's funny how that works. My family is a bit of a dichotomy in that way. My mom is 7 years younger than my uncle. My grandparents had my uncle in their mid/late 20s (he was born in 1937) and then my mom in their mid 30s (1944). My uncle got married right out of college and they started having kids immediately. I mysteriously appeared on my mom's 40th birthday (she still doesn't seem entirely sure how that happened). I never knew anyone on my father's side so they don't count anyway, but my father was 55 when I was born and if his parents were still alive, I'm sure I was pretty young when they died. My grandfather on my mom's side died when I was 2, although my grandmother lived another 20 years after that, much to her dismay - after over 50 years of marriage she never quite learned how to function on her own.

So my cousins got a lot of time with our grandparents (on both sides, actually), and also knew one great grandparent. Not so much the case for me. My kids will have an upbringing similar to mine in that regard - grandparents on their mom's side are already dead, they'll likely never meet my father (I haven't even seen the man in... nearly 8 years I think) and their grandmother is roughly 70 years older than them and hanging in there but who knows for how long. I've thought a lot about the benefits of having kids younger vs. older, and the answer is different for everyone. I also bet that as I get older, I may rethink what the correct answer was, but for now, I'm happy with the compromise.

Sorry for your loss, Bryan. Glad that you had so many good years and good memories with your grandfather, it's a wonderful blessing to have had. And a wonderful blessing for him to be surrounded by family as he passed.

Bryan, I'm so sorry for your loss. BTDT, grandparents and parents. My parents went young, 70 and 73, and it's a hard thing to see and deal with. It's also hard to realize you're now the patriarch of that branch of the family tree. There are many more things I'd love to ask grandpa Buck and Dad, but it's now me and my silent conversations with those who have gone before me.

I'm so sorry to hear about this. Yes, it is the "circle of life", but that doesn't make it any easier.

One can learn a lot from a somewhat corny Disney movie. When Mom passed in 2010, our daughter was six, and wanted to know why grandma died. I asked her if she remembered The Lion King, and the circle of life, and she and I had a nice conversation about that movie, life, and frankly shared some tears as we discussed things. Hell of a movie, The Lion King!

Bryan, good wishes and prayers for your family!

Sounds like the way to go, surrounded by loved ones telling cherished stories of happy times. We all should be so lucky.
Sorry for your loss, Bryan.

Sorry for your loss, but good that he's no longer suffering. I think it is great that your father could joke about buried treasure with your grandfather at that time.

Same for us on the kids and generations; my wife was 41 when our youngest was born. My cousin had kids young and her kids had kids young; around 18 or 19 for their first child. There were 5 generations alive before our grandmother passed away. There are 4 generations now for my cousin and 3 for me. Hopefully we won't get to 4 generations soon as two of our kids are in college.

Sorry for your loss, Bryan. It's too bad that people have to go, but there should be some comfort for your family knowing that you were able to be there for your Papaw in his final moments.

Same story here. The three grandparents who have passed all did so I the last 5 or so years. Still have a living grandmother. I have plenty of memories of my great grandmothers. I count myself lucky.

Back