My friends 172 is for sale

In general, the trouble with auctions is the possibility of getting in a bidding war with other prospective buyers. I'm also not comfortable with deciding how much to bid before having an expert and independent opinion of the condition of the aircraft. It seems like putting the cart before the horse.

Thats kind of the way I look at it.

I have a feeling that auctions are better for sellers than buyers.

Sometimes but I have to tell you I've been following the planes on eBay for quite a while and many are relisted time after time after time.

Its not that hard. You win the bid and leave a small deposit. Then you go out and look at the airplane or have a prebuy done. If its good pay for it. If its not you get your deposit back. Pretty simple.... I do not see why anyone would make this complicated????? I buy and sell on ebay everyday.

Interesting, I always thought that there was no right of post bid inspection and rejection unless the body of the eBay auction description said so. Is that incorrect?

The problem with Ebay is the market for aircraft is small, thus one needs time to located the correct customer. Ebay doesn't allow for time, so the only way you can really get top dollar out of an airplane is to propitiously have a buyer located nearby who can examine the aircraft at low risk to themselves. Otherwise the risk is quite high, and must be offset by the appearance of value.

Some folks will fear being cheated no matter where or who they are buying from.

Interesting, I always thought that there was no right of post bid inspection and rejection unless the body of the eBay auction description said so. Is that incorrect?

If the AD doesn't say that, send the seller a message asking that it be added, if they won't change it, walk.

Its not that hard. You win the bid and leave a small deposit. Then you go out and look at the airplane or have a prebuy done. If its good pay for it. If its not you get your deposit back. Pretty simple.... I do not see why anyone would make this complicated????? I buy and sell on ebay everyday.

Thanks for explaining how it works. How do you figure out how much to bid for an airplane sight unseen?

Easy. You look at the pictures and then say...
And then click BID

Bidding on Ebay is a binding contract, or at least it is supposed to be. I suppose if you arrive at what you consider to be a good price at the end of the auction that the risk is no more than purchasing any aircraft remotely. I suppose the only real worry is if the deal goes sour, the seller can trash your feedback.

I suppose the only real worry is if the deal goes sour, the seller can trash your feedback.

Big deal, you can contest it, as not represented properly.

By the way....
I just bought a mint 1973 cessna 172M. 2600TT and 1000SMOH. Original paint, windows and interior are mint. Looks like a 5 year old airplane. Got it for $30,500

Nobody even said congratulations?

Congrats.

Thanks.
My point was there are great deals out there. $75,000 for a old 172 doesn't look to hot. I like buying stuff I can make money on, not be upside down.

I have a Pitts S-2C for sale if you want a fun airplane :) 76 hours since new....

Big deal, you can contest it, as not represented properly.

Although I buy stuff from Ebay I have been burned by their dim-whitted policies that are followed TO THE LETTER by their equally dim-whitted reps. So don't count on Ebay protection always being there for you. I had to resort to small claims court, wherein the seller simply refused to be served. I put no further energy into it and considered it $300 lost.

Bleech! I don't mind buying watches on Ebay, but an airplane has to get my eyes and my mechanic's eyes on it. It would have to be a steaming hot deal before I'd even think about it.

I found my plane through eBay. I should of passed on it. It's been nothing but problems. Oh wait, no it hasn't.

Although I buy stuff from Ebay I have been burned by their dim-whitted policies that are followed TO THE LETTER by their equally dim-whitted reps. So don't count on Ebay protection always being there for you. I had to resort to small claims court, wherein the seller simply refused to be served. I put no further energy into it and considered it $300 lost.

You can get stiffed on small ticket items. but on Aircraft I must look before I pay. To do that I send a message to the seller, and arrange the sale. If I must invest a ticket to go see that's OK. I know that I must go see the aircraft in any case, no matter where I saw the ad.

Just have it checked out, I did one that the buyer negotiated to have 72hrs to inspect the plane and refuse it after the close of the auction.

Good thing too, it was a pile,

I've been asked by various board members to look at aircraft near me for a quick eval to see if it actually appears as in the pics, no sweat.

I notice it still says "reserve not met" at $67,200. Is the seller free of any obligation to accept the highest bid if the reserve is not met? Is a buyer obligated to honor the bid if the reserve is not met?

It occurs to me that a seller of an aircraft might put a high reserve on it because he knows that the actual deal will be made after the auction.

I notice it still says "reserve not met" at $67,200. Is the seller free of any obligation to accept the highest bid if the reserve is not met? Is a buyer obligated to honor the bid if the reserve is not met?

It occurs to me that a seller of an aircraft might put a high reserve on it because he knows that the actual deal will be made after the auction.

No commitment whatsoever, however he is given such an option. That is what you pay for with the fee to set the reserve.

It could be a good way to find market prices too. Just see where the bid ends and place it in trade-a-plane for said price.

Pretty much..

that's why you need to send the seller a message saying you are interested in the aircraft but need time to inspect it yada yada.

It could be a good way to find market prices too. Just see where the bid ends and place it in trade-a-plane for said price.

Yep, not particularly expensive either, less expensive if a bit low ball over NAAA appraisal with the possibility of a buyer at the end, not a bad deal all in all, might just do that....

hmmm, shouldn't put that here.

Last edited:
10 minutes left in auction, price is $67,200

Is this plane up for a new auction as it has 1 day 17 hrs at 61K

I see there have been no new posts for a few days. It looks good, but am I missing something guys..........

Colin182

Is this plane up for a new auction as it has 1 day 17 hrs at 61K

I see there have been no new posts for a few days. It looks good, but am I missing something guys..........

Colin182
Yes, it was relisted.

ok, Looks like its a really nice plane, but i think 65 is about the right price....

I'll need to wait and see what happens after the auction.

thanks
colin 182

Bidding on Ebay is a binding contract, or at least it is supposed to be. I suppose if you arrive at what you consider to be a good price at the end of the auction that the risk is no more than purchasing any aircraft remotely. I suppose the only real worry is if the deal goes sour, the seller can trash your feedback.

Just read through the thread, seemed to be some misconceptions about eBay motors, it's actually a pretty good venue to buy and sell planes, cars, boats etc...

Seller's can't leave negative feedback anymore, that's all of eBay. Ebay deemed the only sin buyers can commit is not paying and they have a different avenue than the feedback system for dealing with that (Three strikes and you're out type thing)

The polices on eBay motors are a lot different than buying used underwear on the main site. eBay Motors bids are non binding.

From: http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/non-binding-bid.html

A non-binding bid is a bid that shows a buyer's interest in purchasing an item, but it doesn't create a formal contract between the buyer and the seller.

All bids made in the Real Estate and eBay Motors vehicles categories are considered non-binding.

Remember, bids placed in any other category are a legal commitment to purchase the item. We strongly encourage you to read the other terms for more information.

Back