My friends 172 is for sale

It would be awfully hard to inspect the plane within the three days and 22 hours left on the auction!

It would be awfully hard to inspect the plane within the three days and 22 hours left on the auction!

It's just north of San Antonio. Even a paranoid buyer could get two opinions on that plane in two days and have a day left over to think about the results.

Well, if my 2 cents counts I would snap it up in a heartbeat. If you want a second or third opinion I can set you up with an A&P to do a pre-buy - My friend is a mechanic, and my personal mechanic on my airplane so I can attest to his attention to detail and very good work. I do know of a couple other A&Ps that would have no bias that would probably do a pre-buy for you.

Yeah, like I'm gonna buy some juvenile delinquent plane...:rolleyes:

Most sales on vehicles and large ticket items are made after the auction. Contact the seller and get his info.

It IS pretty. I imagine it has 40 degrees of flaps, given its age?
With the 180 upgrade, it will be limited to 30degrees of flaps.

It really is pretty. When I read the intro I started to object because MY 1977 Cessna 172n is the prettiest and best equipped Skyhawk. But I guess I need to get mine detailed again to try to reclaim that title.

A 74 "M" at 70k ? get real.

nice aircraft at 45k.

I wonder how it feels having too much money invested in an aircraft?

nice aircraft at 45k.

Not as bad as some people I know that paid almost a million bucks for a house about 5 years ago. They have a $600k mortgage and the best offer they have had was less than $400k.

I am upside down by about $40k in my Skyhawk, mostly because an engine blew taking out the core. And I put another $30 into the panel after that. But who ever said an airplane is an "investment" any way? At 60 years old with a beautiful 55 year old wife working on her IFR, that Skyhawk with too much money invested in her is some of the best money I have ever spent.

But I did threaten my A&P with bodily injury if he doesn't get the high CHT issue ironed out during the annual next month. And removing the engine monitor so I won't notice it doesn't count.

John we are upside down by about 20k in ours. Do you have any pics of it? I'd love to see

Last edited:
But I did threaten my A&P with bodily injury if he doesn't get the high CHT issue ironed out during the annual next month. And removing the engine monitor so I won't notice it doesn't count.

How do you know that it isn't the gauge?

nice aircraft at 45k.

He already has an offer at 55K. :dunno:

I'm kind of wondering why he spent so much money on it and NOW wants to sell it.

It's just north of San Antonio. Even a paranoid buyer could get two opinions on that plane in two days and have a day left over to think about the results.

Perhaps, but haste makes waste.

Most sales on vehicles and large ticket items are made after the auction. Contact the seller and get his info.

It's kind of moot on this one, because I'm not interested in paying top dollar for mods that I'm not interested in.

In general, the trouble with auctions is the possibility of getting in a bidding war with other prospective buyers. I'm also not comfortable with deciding how much to bid before having an expert and independent opinion of the condition of the aircraft. It seems like putting the cart before the horse.

I watched that plane being restored from the ground up - as I'm at the hangar nearly every day. I would not only second David's motion, but I would fly in that aircraft in a heartbeat.

Ryan

He already has an offer at 55K. :dunno:

I'm kind of wondering why he spent so much money on it and NOW wants to sell it.
Some mechanics love to tinker on a new toy in their spare time...

I can't wait to see what their next project will be.

Ryan

Not as bad as some people I know that paid almost a million bucks for a house about 5 years ago. They have a $600k mortgage and the best offer they have had was less than $400k.

I am upside down by about $40k in my Skyhawk, mostly because an engine blew taking out the core. And I put another $30 into the panel after that. But who ever said an airplane is an "investment" any way? At 60 years old with a beautiful 55 year old wife working on her IFR, that Skyhawk with too much money invested in her is some of the best money I have ever spent.

Exactly, money invested in modern panel upgrades are high use value. If you go all the way to SVT the IFR value is incredible. If Owner Maint/Exp hits, it'll all go wide open; Diesel engine offerings as well.
BTW, next weekend-->~?~ after I will be across the way, Tampa/ St Pete and my offer is open to meet there to look at your heat issue.

Last edited:
Bleech! I don't mind buying watches on Ebay, but an airplane has to get my eyes and my mechanic's eyes on it. It would have to be a steaming hot deal before I'd even think about it.

Bleech! I don't mind buying watches on Ebay, but an airplane has to get my eyes and my mechanic's eyes on it. It would have to be a steaming hot deal before I'd even think about it.

All you must do is contact the seller and arrange a deal. E-Bay is nothing more than a advertising place. How you deal with the seller is your business.

All you must do is contact the seller and arrange a deal. E-Bay is nothing more than a advertising place. How you deal with the seller is your business.

Problem is you need some eyes. Now lets say you go through all that, and someone else comes through with the winning bid anyway. You've just wasted a bunch of effort.

The only vehicle I ever bought off Ebay I made a deal with the seller after the end of the auction. Even so it was almost brand new. Buying a 30 year old aircraft from Ebay is fraught with complication. Like I said, it would have to be a screaming good deal before I would even consider it, unless it was very nearby so I could go look at it with minimal expense.

I have a feeling that auctions are better for sellers than buyers.

I regretted not buying a car off eBay. It wasn't the eBay deal that dissuaded me as the car and seller were local.

I personally would have a tough time buying a plane off eBay unless I could at least recover value if the thing went sour. But then again, my experience is minimal at best.

Do the words " I'd like to come inspect your aircraft" have any meaning to you guys?

You don't have to pay for it until you are happy.

Do the words " I'd like to come inspect your aircraft" have any meaning to you guys?

What do the agreements with ebay state with regard to you bidding on the item?

So I hop a last minute and undoubtedly expensive flight to San Antonio to inspect the Skyhawk. I like it, so I go home and bid on it. And in the last 10 seconds of the auction I get outbid by $5.

I've bought watches this way countless times, and would do no different for an aircraft. Hence purchasing an aircraft remotely through Ebay is a fool's errand. If it's local you can contain your inspection costs. If it doesn't sell, then it might be useful to try and make a deal with the seller, though if it doesn't the reserve may be too high.

Watches are way different. If I don't like it, I can often send it back, thus my inspection costs are minimal. Inspection costs for aircraft are quite high. It is less than wise to do that while you have the level of uncertainty of an auction to boot.

So I hop a last minute and undoubtedly expensive flight to San Antonio to inspect the Skyhawk. I like it, so I go home and bid on it. And in the last 10 seconds of the auction I get outbid by $5.

Why would you go home to bid?

you simply buy it and the seller removes the aircraft from the sale.

There's a place to send the seller questions get phone numbers and discuss the deal before you spend a dime.

Why would you go home to bid?

you simply buy it and the seller removes the aircraft from the sale.

There's a place to send the seller questions get phone numbers and discuss the deal before you spend a dime.

What if the seller doesn't? Perhaps he or she can get more out of the auction. Especially if it is already at an acceptable price, I might not close an active auction. There is risk involved that ought not to be. Plenty of aircraft on Controller, Trade-a-plane and other non auction venues.

Yup. And you're out airline tickets, possibly mechanic fees, lots of money. Not a very good airplane shopping strategy.

Not really, that's what phones are for.

sales contracts can be a e-mail.

Its not that hard. You win the bid and leave a small deposit. Then you go out and look at the airplane or have a prebuy done. If its good pay for it. If its not you get your deposit back. Pretty simple.... I do not see why anyone would make this complicated????? I buy and sell on ebay everyday.

By the way....
I just bought a mint 1973 cessna 172M. 2600TT and 1000SMOH. Original paint, windows and interior are mint. Looks like a 5 year old airplane. Got it for $30,500

Back