My Friend - Emergency Landing

HPNFlyGirl

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
iBrookieMonster
My friend just made an emergency, gear up, landing at KTTA, Sanford, NC.

http://www.wral.com/news/local/story/4077712/

Clint and Ripley are doing just fine.

They had made it to New Bern, NC and the gear wouldn't come down, so he flew back to Sanford, and everything worked out nicely...all things considered.

(Check out the video of his landing...its NICE!!!!!)

Nice job of keeping it on the center line. Sure didn't take long to stop with all that drag on the belly. One more example of how these are a non-event when handled properly. Insurance is going to eat a teardown and new prop, but I'll bet it flies again.

The article does not say if he filled a flight plan or not. Let us hope that he did and the gear failed anyways! ;)

But seriously, glad he is alright and he did a good job.

That was a surprisingly accurate report. I love this sentence:

Ripley, who often accompanies Bryan on flights, also wasn't scared because he never knew anything was wrong, Bryan said.

I guess that's how the airlines keep passengers happy, too ;)

Great landing, even kept centerline. But I gotta ding him on somehow hidding the problem and following landing from his pax for 3 hrs while communicating his intentions to everyone else :skeptical:.

Ripley, who often accompanies Bryan on flights, also wasn't scared because he never knew anything was wrong, Bryan said.

BTW, he forgot to distract himeself during the flare by stopping the prop and position it with the starter to lessen prop damage. :smilewinkgrin:

What were they doing opening the cowling up on the runway? Disconnecting the battery or something?

Looks pretty good, surprised me a little how hard it still landed on the belly, but it did stop rather quickly.

Glad everyone is ok!

Your friend did a darn fine Job B. I do wonder however why they call it an emergency landing.

Looks pretty good, surprised me a little how hard it still landed on the belly, but it did stop rather quickly.

Glad everyone is ok!
Agreed. Looks like he flared really high and then just fell down. Most have been quite the jolt for everybody in the plane. I'd probably rather feel my way to the surface to minimize damage.

-Felix

I've seen a few of these where the pilots seem to just smoothly lay the belly of the plane onto the runway, but with none of the gear down, it would seem like you're losing a couple feet of ground clearance, and I've always suspected that this would mess up my usual habits for gauging my height above the runway.

In any case, if you watch closely, right after the plane comes to a stop, the pilot side door opens, and a small dog hops out, and does a quick walk-around to assess damage. Who was really flying this plane?
-harry

looks like a nice job.

Great landing, even kept centerline. But I gotta ding him on somehow hidding the problem and following landing from his pax for 3 hrs while communicating his intentions to everyone else :skeptical:.

uhh, Ripley is a dog...

Bet it took a good bit of power to taxi to parking. Otherwise, not too shabby.

looks like a nice job.

uhh, Ripley is a dog...
ohhhhhhh.. ok. Then article should have said, "Ripley the dog ..." You can't use a dog's name without "the dog". You know, just like Bugs Bunny and Daffy Duck let you know the species.

ohhhhhhh.. ok. Then article should have said, "Ripley the dog ..." You can't use a dog's name without "the dog". You know, just like Bugs Bunny and Daffy Duck let you know the species.

it did...

article said:
Believe it or not, Ripley the dog and his pilot owner were unhurt Thursday after skidding to a stop in an emergency landing at the Sanford-Lee County Regional Airport.

I've seen a few of these where the pilots seem to just smoothly lay the belly of the plane onto the runway, but with none of the gear down, it would seem like you're losing a couple feet of ground clearance, and I've always suspected that this would mess up my usual habits for gauging my height above the runway.
-harry

That was exactly my thought. It looked to me like he flared when he probably would normally flare, and so then the plane did its thing and dropped when it ran out of lift.

Looks to me like he did an excellent job. Glad that he and the dog walked away safely!

Nice job on his part.

Gotta love the reporters... article and video starts 'Believe it or not, but they SURVIVED!'

Ripley is a COOL dog. When I show up at the airport he runs over to me like "Ok. You can pet me now." Then he has enough and walks off to be with Clint.

Nice job on his part.

Gotta love the reporters... article and video starts 'Believe it or not, but they SURVIVED!'

yeah, I thought the same thing - stupid wording ... then I got it ... "Believe it or not..." and Ripley .... took me a minute

Jeez, let's just all thank God that there wasn't a school nearby. I mean, he hadn't filed a flight plan. Imagine what might have happened.....:rolleyes:

I think going for a full stall touchdown worked out very well in this case- the plane didn't skid very far at all, didn't veer, didn't tip over. Pretty slick.

Does anyone have the capability to rip/capture that video clip? I'd like to use it for a safety seminar but don't have the tools to snag it.

Looked to me like they did a fine job.

Re: Smart Dog

did he kill the engine prior to touchdown? Hard to see in the liveleak video...

Re: Smart Dog

well, it was the insurance company's engine anyway by that point, I reckon. :D

I must be watching a different video then...
Either way he did a great job...

you probably saw it windmilling, Kelvin - that makes sense, consider that, if it were running, we wouldn't likely see the prop that well - it would be moving too fast. :)

I wouldn't have killed it at 250 feet, though, in case I needed that sucker... that's still a lot of height, seems like. But I can't criticize such a beautiful landing - he did great!! :yes:

Back