my flights on Saturday and Sunday

woodstock

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
iTravel
today was my XC to Lancaster and York. (just a landing at York). a very good flight. my navigation was good, landings are getting so much better (even with the beehive of Lancaster - more on that later) and all the multitasking and radios are better too. yesterday we started the XC but only to FDK (just to practice the heavy work, which tends to be leaving and entering airspace around airports).

definitely a satisfying flight. the only hairy parts were at Lancaster where our first attempt to land turned into a go -around b/c someone hadn't cleared the runway yet... and we were going to stay in the pattern and come back around when all of a sudden someone popped into view on final (far off) and ATC decided to give it to them instead and said "go to runway 26". so despite the setup we had to get behind the guy who took 31 and come in on 26. all happened pretty quickly and I was high and fast for 26 but managed to dump it all off in time and had a great landing. we only spent 15 minutes at the shop and no time to eat (you know, no matter how well you plan and think you are taking off at X time - it isn't enough. we took off an hour later than I had planned/hoped for).

whoops, hit send accidentally. anyway, overall went great and am 625 bucks poorer than I was on Friday. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
woodstock said:
am 625 bucks poorer than I was on Friday. :rolleyes:

Do not keep score this way. Repeat. Do not keep score this way.

Sounds like some good flying. I'm envious.

Sounds great. I love cross-countries, because you actually go somewhere. Also, you do have time to relax a bit while in cruise. OK, that's it--I'm making this Thursday a cross-country. Now, where shall I go? Elizabeth, are you out of JYO?

hey Ben! I am out of JYO. I can't take off during the day though - I work a ways from the airport, I don't think I could even get there and back during lunchtime let alone stop for lunch. if you are there after 630 though I would likely be able to meet you for dinner in Leesburg (if that was what you were thinking).

I'm not relaxing yet b/c I am still trying to make sure I am on course! part of the problem though is that oops, my checkpoints are 5-6 miles apart. He told me - no no, 10-15 or so, unless it's a low viz day in which case I wouldn't be up anyway.

Lance F said:

I know! not something you want to think about. :eek:

Last edited:
Elizabeth;

You did fine on your x-c. I use to fly for a long time using a compass,clock and a chart. I used to use the "5 minute rule" for check points. Based on speed they were never more then 5 minutes apart. It works real well for the 172 at 100knots over the ground. For the faster planes I would switch to 3 minutes unless it was sever clear.

As lance writes do not think about the money; think about your accomplishment;

John

Sounds like it was a Good Learning Day Elizabeth, Glad ut worked out well, keep up the good work Dave G.

woodstock said:
hey Ben! I am out of JYO. I can't take off during the day though - I work a ways from the airport, I don't think I could even get there and back during lunchtime let alone stop for lunch. if you are there after 630 though I would likely be able to meet you for dinner in Leesburg (if that was what you were thinking).

OK, then; that won't work. I need to be done by 2:00.
woodstock said:
I'm not relaxing yet b/c I am still trying to make sure I am on course! part of the problem though is that oops, my checkpoints are 5-6 miles apart. He told me - no no, 10-15 or so, unless it's a low viz day in which case I wouldn't be up anyway.

I know! not something you want to think about. :eek:
I would agree with him, unless there are really excellent checkpoints that close together.

Lance F said:

I know what you're thinking but, remember how valuable $625 worth of flying really is.
It could be worth less than half as much if only costing $300 !

Sounds like you had a good cross-country.
They are definitely fun, glad you are enjoying it.

Dave Krall CFII said:
I know what you're thinking but, remember how valuable $625 worth of flying really is.
It could be worth less than half as much if only costing $300 !
um, er...6 divided by... um carry the three...wait, should that be... er...

oh, just dang. Huh??

Back