My flight instructor

Scrabo

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Scrabo
I learned to fly back home in N. Ireland before I moved to Arizona 22 years ago.

My instructor, Bill Eames has been awarded the British Empire Medal (BEM) in the Queen’s Honours List.

Bill is 96, a former Flight Lieutenant, His BEM was awarded for services to the: Royal Air Force Association. Aircrew Association, Royal British Legion. Bill flew Albemarles and Stirlings during the Second World War.

On the morning of 6 June 1944 - D-Day - he was involved in towing gliders to Ouistreham, northern France, where the troops on board helped secure Pegasus Bridge, an important target for the Allied Invasion Forces.

Later in September 1944, he took part in Operation Market Garden and the Allied attempt to secure the Rhine crossing at Arnhem.

On the first two days of this operation Flt Lt Eames was involved in dropping more glider-borne troops into the immediate Arnhem area.

On the third day he was resupplying the ground troops from low level when he was very badly injured by anti-aircraft fire from the ground.

Although wounded, he carried on and helped the other members of the crew to bring the bomber home, when he collapsed and was hospitalised with a lengthy stay.

I am proud to have learned to fly under his tutelage and honored to know this man.

690270E2-4091-462D-9566-DA6C904FB5A5.jpeg

Great story about a great hero.

Nice. My grandfather’s best friend flew one of the gliders. Wonderful humble guy, Gus. He’s been gone for many years now, but not forgotten.

My uncle (mom's brother-in-law) was a co-pilot in a B-17G at the end of the war in Europe. 336th squadron, 95th bombardment group. His youngest son now flies for AA (retired O-6 in the Air Force). Getting close to retirement age.

Back