my flight instructor didn't know about acs

korben88

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Troy
When I asked my instructor what his thoughts on the pts to acs changes he said that he was unaware of any changes till a coupke of days ago and hadn't really looked at it yet.

TBH it makes me a bit nervous, he is constantly talking obout how the DPE that I presumably would use likes to test. But if the testing standard changed and he isn't up to date, am I going to be taught old info?

I don't think it will make a huge difference. My student passed a few weeks ago. Just read the ACS and see what's required. I haven't read it in depth but it looks very similar to the PTS

Even the DPEs weren't provided with much information ahead of time on this change... Let alone instructors.

Very few people in this world are pilots (relatively speaking) . Even fewer of us stay connected and actively seek out knowledge regarding being pilots post-certificate.

I never receive anything from the FAA about changes to flight instruction. However I subscribe to a few magazines, on the FAA mailing list, AOPA mailing list, and a member of NAFI so I am aware of it, plus on here. And I'm not really an active CFI. A flight instructor should keep up with changes and it's not that difficult to do. A responsible CFI would do so. But, the FAA could do a lot better too. IMO.

Last edited:
The only real difference in maneuvers that I'm aware of is a difference in slow flight. Obviously all the stuff in the PTS preamble is more directly connected, as well as the need for the examiner to address subject areas missed on the written.

As others have said, read through it and see what you find.

Yes, your instructor should have been a more aware, but in the end, YOU are responsible to be familiar and in compliance with the PTS/ACS.

What is the slow flight difference? A full 360 instead of a couple of 90 degree turns?

I just had to retake my instrument written on 6/17 as it lapsed and passed my instrument Checkride. Don't know how this correlates to PPL Checkride but here are my observations.

1. Written was much fairer and reflective of the current instrument environment.

2. Oral focused on scenarios. Risk based. A lot about icing, thunderstorms, weather in the oral. Scenarios about how to handle certain situations. Much more than the previous oral exam that I took (albeit with a different DPE)

3. Checkride was what I expected.

So my take is that the written and oral portion of Checkride most likely will change focusing on risk areas if it uses same logic as the instrument.

But read the guides posted online or get ASA resources so you get a better idea.

Don't mean to sound dumb, but this is the first time I am hearing about ACS. Can someone more familiar enlighten me?

As a ATP and semi working CFI, if it wasn't for this site I wouldn't know about it.

Unless you have other bad indications about your CFI I wouldn't worry too much.

Back