My First Real Emergency - Saturday

Of course it is me in my avatar! But that was a special occasion, you know, when they make you dress up for formal night on the cruise ship and they practically force you to get your picture taken.

Kimberly
That particular camera was friendly to you. However, I understand where you come from with respect to cameras having the same feelings about them

So I got a call from my CFI and I "think" what he said was the 152 is fixed, someone is flying it today, and instead of flying the 172 to Class Charlie airspace tomorrow we can now have the 152.

It was a confusing schedule related phone call.

The point is, I got excited, and said something like, "so if we get back in time can I solo around the pattern for maybe three landings if it isn't dark yet?"

And his answer was something like "I don't know, we'll have to see how it flies when we go to Oakland."

Damn it, why is it OK for us to fly dual (there are other people before us flying it too that day) but not OK for me to fly it solo.

The saga never ends, I tell you. Maybe I can solo on Sunday this weekend? I don't know what the problem is.

He actually said he needed to call the mechanic regarding restrictions or something like that.

What normally happens after an engine has a cracked cylinder, it gets sent to the manufacturer, then gets fixed?

I mean, I hate to say it, but I'm glad we're not the FIRST pilots in the plane.....

What normally happens after an engine has a cracked cylinder, it gets sent to the manufacturer, then gets fixed?

I would assume that they would just slap another cylinder on it.

I mean, I hate to say it, but I'm glad we're not the FIRST pilots in the plane.....
Yes. That is a good thing.

So I got a call from my CFI and I "think" what he said was the 152 is fixed, someone is flying it today, and instead of flying the 172 to Class Charlie airspace tomorrow we can now have the 152.

It was a confusing schedule related phone call.

The point is, I got excited, and said something like, "so if we get back in time can I solo around the pattern for maybe three landings if it isn't dark yet?"

And his answer was something like "I don't know, we'll have to see how it flies when we go to Oakland."

Damn it, why is it OK for us to fly dual (there are other people before us flying it too that day) but not OK for me to fly it solo.

The saga never ends, I tell you. Maybe I can solo on Sunday this weekend? I don't know what the problem is.

He actually said he needed to call the mechanic regarding restrictions or something like that.

- It's good someone else is flying it first

-As for engine restrictions, maybe there is some sort of break-in period? I'm just guessing

-It may be Ok for you to fly solo, after he sees that you are flying Ok. If he sees you are handling the plane Ok, no bad things, you might get to solo. I forget if you have already solo'd yet.

- It's good someone else is flying it first

-As for engine restrictions, maybe there is some sort of break-in period? I'm just guessing

-It may be Ok for you to fly solo, after he sees that you are flying Ok. If he sees you are handling the plane Ok, no bad things, you might get to solo. I forget if you have already solo'd yet.

Yes, I solo'd seven weeks ago (and counting). And, it was at least 5 lessons ago (all cross countries unless one or two was pattern work).... so I have most likely gotten better at everything.

If he had any concerns, or reasons I couldn't, I would think he would have told me by now. I think it has been all wx or schedule related but to me this is getting riddiculous.

Kimberly

Oh and someone thought perhaps the mechanics want it to be broken in (for example, no touch and go's or other such manuevers)

Oh and someone thought perhaps the mechanics want it to be broken in (for example, no touch and go's or other such manuevers)

Kimberly, there may be something to this. To seat the valves in a new cylinder, the recommendation is for several hours of flight with power above 75%. Pattern work is usually forbidden until the rings seat properly.

-Skip

I would check how many total hours since overhaul and when it was completed. If you're unsure about the maintenance you can ask to see the books. It is known that books can be "pencil" whipped instead of thorough maintenance. Saw same question on sp you're everywhere!!!

Good luck, and atleast you're not the first flight after new cylinder/repairs.

mike

I would check how many total hours since overhaul and when it was completed. If you're unsure about the maintenance you can ask to see the books. It is known that books can be "pencil" whipped instead of thorough maintenance. Saw same question on sp you're everywhere!!!

Good luck, and atleast you're not the first flight after new cylinder/repairs.

mike

I am everywhere and nowhere all at once.

Kimberly

I don't think this board supports special characters for an equation like that.
True, but you can bring them in from outside unless you care to spend some time messing with unicode.
5d0e6b5d23fd7b25e24f215043880b6c.png

Back when I was working on my commercial certificate one of our school's planes went down for a new cylinder. As part of the break-in procedure for the new cylinder the aircraft was required to operate on mineral oil and, as often as possible, operated at or above 65% power (preferably more like 75% power). Best part was that I was building my cross-country time at that time... so I got to fly most of my XC's in good ol' "Purple Death" (this plane had a bit of a reputation at my school). The purpose of the break-in period is simply to allow the piston rings to properly seat with the cylinder walls. If you operate at low power (as is often done during maneuvers and practice T/Os and LDGs), the rings wont fully expand in the cylinder. This allows an oil film to build up on the cylinder wall which then (because of the high-heat) cooks on to the cylinder wall. This results in a condition called "glazing," which hampers the ability of the piston ring to ever fully settle, and also results in excessive oil consumption.

Good job with the emergency, by the way! I have yet to be in a real emergency, although I've had my share of little incidents. Lost alternator, broken mag, and best of all... a mixture control falling out of the panel onto my lap -- in flight. Never realized how long the cable behind that thing was! It was also a little weird how the prop ran backwards for a tiny bit after I shut down using the fuel shut-off lever (because, apparently, I also had a broken P-lead). Thrust reverser in a C-152, FTW!

Last edited:

Yes, with a new cylinder - And that means no pattern work until it's broken in (25-50 hours).

Kimberly, if you want to solo, I'd suggest you take the 172 and show him that you can fly it competently, and then solo it. It's not you that's keeping your CFI from letting you solo the 152, it's the new cylinder.

Yes, with a new cylinder - And that means no pattern work until it's broken in (25-50 hours).

Kimberly, if you want to solo, I'd suggest you take the 172 and show him that you can fly it competently, and then solo it. It's not you that's keeping your CFI from letting you solo the 152, it's the new cylinder.

Tried that (asked if I can solo the 172). He said no it would not be safe - however, it is $20 more per hour and I've flown the little 152 3 times now so it is "back" - once on Saturday, once on Sunday, and once on Monday (yesterday). Believe it or not, there are no restrictions. It ended up being two cylinders that were replaced and they double checked with the mechanics we were OK though I could tell the other CFI wanted there to be some sort of rules or restrictions. I'd say that by now it has probably been flown between 10 - 20 hours (max) since being returned to us last week. I've personally flown it (dual) for a total of 3.5 hours and there have been at least 2 - 5 other students as well.

Kimberly

PS - We have done pattern work, touch and go's and a flight to an airport about 30 - 40 miles away and back again. We have also flown to the practice area to do steep turns and VOR. The only thing he won't let me do is lean the mixture for now. Otherwise, my power settings have been normal (about 2200 - 2400 RPM most of the time except for the setting up for landings which is less with the carb heat out).

Kimberly

... I could tell the other CFI wanted there to be some sort of rules or restrictions.

Let me guess... The oldest CFI?

I'm getting the "we're the cheapest flight club on the field and we really need our primary trainers in the air or we go under" vibe from this.

Anyone else read that into the story?

It also kinda sounds like they need at least one more primary trainer on the flightline.

But... That said, it's hard to find renters who'll plow around doing only long XC in a trainer aircraft, if they have a lot of students. Students and instructors get "favorite" aircraft even in large clubs with ten Skyhawks on the line and schedule in two or three of them that are similarly equipped.

Heck I even saw instructors pick aircraft that were their buddy's leaseback to the club over better equipped and maintained aircraft when I was renting.

As you continue on your journey, be willing to ask "Why?". It's your money.

The place I was renting a C-150 from went under during my primary training and my instructor was happy to transition me to a C-172 elsewhere after we shopped prices. He was an independent CFI with enough hours that his "checkride" consisted of about 20 minutes aloft and a look at his logbook.

For my transition there was never any mention of "danger" but he was honest and said it'd take a few more hours to get to the Private. And that we'd also have to re-do some airwork and pattern work until he deemed me safe to solo again in the different type. I had zero problem with that. As they say, the "penalty" is just that you have to do some more flying. No big deal.

I had already soloed the C-150 and we had to do a few flights in the C-172 before he "re-soloed" me (straight into a solo XC actually) in the 'Hawk. It was a ridiculously easy transition. Cessnas pretty much fly like Cessnas if you have your airspeed control skills up to at least holding speeds within +10/-5 of your target speed. (Of course you get better from there.)

Just thoughts. He's got a point if he's just about to turn you loose for solo that it'd be silky to transition then, but if your wallet and desires are to get into the 172, just tell 'em you're willing to do that anytime, even if it takes extra hours. If you're going for "get it done in as few hours as possible", stay in the 152 for now.

After I got the Private and "tons" of 172 time, I found a good-priced club with a 172, 172RG, and a Mooney M-20C that catered to only 100+ hour pilots.

The aircraft were well-maintained, not beat up clapped-out trainers, and I put a lot of XC time in the logbook just going places that looked interesting on the map. Flew the RG to Olathe, KS instead of the airlines on a biz trip with very open ended dates, flew the 172 and the Mooney to Houston to visit family, and enjoyed the heck out of those birds until the owner of the two Cessnas had some awful medical issues hit him and his wife almost simultaneously and he decided it was time to sell. The club voted to fold and the Doc who owned the Mooney kept flying as far as I know. Super guy, letting my young butt take his Mooney to Texas for two weeks.

Keep the thought, "What will I want to fly and can afford, after I have my Private ticket" in mind as you go through this.

Are you building time/experience toward an aviation career or doing this for fun? I may have missed that part in a prior posting.

I honestly never even considered flying a 182 until being involved with CAP, and then liked 'em a lot. Then when my co-owners today approached me with a reasonable offer to join their little LLC with the nice ol' bird in my sig, I was hooked from the first photograph.

Took me about six months to decide and a big shove from my lovely bride and the wife of one of the other co-owners who I learned later were conspiring "against" my cheapskate nature. I was fretting and making new spreadsheets every month or so. Wife said, "Would you just go do it already?!" I guess they'd run out of ideas. ;)

Would it be painful to hear that a Skyhawk was $45/Hr wet when I learned and the C-150 was $35? ;)

I'm sure there are others that learned much much cheaper than that who are here too.

It does nothing but get more expensive every year. But it's great personal motivation to not only succeed but try to excel in your chosen "real-world" job. Not too many folks have hobbies that cost quite so much.

Great focus tool on your work life when young. Can't say it kept me off the streets and out of the bars *every* night, but I didn't put as much facetime in at the bars and Friday nightlife as many of my contemporaries, that's for sure. "Got a flight tomorrow! I'll see you guys later!"

Continued good tidings on your training! Keep stacking those bricks, the foundation will start to look more like a home soon! ;)

Thank you - I'm currently going through a rough patch. What should have happened 4 flights ago will hopefully happen tomorrow - last Sunday, the plan was to solo me for the first time since May 7th (my first solo). Unfortunately, my landings weren't good enough and so I flew Mon / Wed / Fri (tonight) doing only landings - well, landings and some practice area stuff like VOR, steep turns, instrument simulation with unusual attitudes, etc. Oh and to break up the boredom we finished my night training requirements and night landing requirements tonight.

But yes - the 152 is cheaper, and I have become VERY comfortable in it (tonight he told me to turn off the cabin light and I was surprised that in the dark I knew where everything was and could even fly without seeing any instruments, they don't glow). Also, I can take up one person in the 152 for shorter flights when and if I ever get my PPL - but realistically, for comfort / speed / etc . . . the 172 will most likely be what I use since it is only $18 per hour more. Also, the 172 is often free (for example, if you wanted it overnight) whereas the 152 is constantly reserved. They are both "primary" trainers, as is the Piper they have..... only the Citabria sits mostly untouched.

At first, I didn't know how much training it took and how much money it cost, so I thought about aviation for money - got my first class medical and found out the truth. I have been doing my corporate thing for 15+ years and to make that salary in a plane would take years of training and cost money I do not have.

So no - this flying thing is just going to be a hobby - and really it is fascinating and keeping me busy and out of trouble, just like you. All my friends are married and having kids, and it came at a time where I needed something I could do by myself and for myself, you know? It is just icing on the cake that I found out there are online communities like this one filled with good people who can teach me, in addition to my books, more real life aviation knowledge. One day perhaps decades from now I hope to be able to give back. For now I'm just so glad I am not "the only one" going through all this student stuff.... and seeing others post similar stories has helped me push on rather than feel like the world's worst pilot.

Though unfortunately I've put some lessons on a credit card, I was excited to find a hobby where I willl NEVER be an "expert" - I will always be a student, learning, experiencing, creating memories. I can't think of anything as challenging that I've tried and so it is very appealing to me.

Thanks for the long post, the well wishes, and the support. I appreciate it.

Kimberly

I solo'd today (Sunday) - in 9-15 knot crosswinds! Remember, this is my cell phone taking a video of the camcorder hooked up to my TV. The "good" version takes forever to get off the camera to the computer and I was in a hurry:

http://youtu.be/1rAJJu-1itg

Posted that for my CFI - don't tell him my "real" you tube channel, where I will probably put other flying videos like when I fly with other pilots at that fly-in LOL. This is an account I created for him.

Not only did I (finally) solo for my second time (first solo was May 7th), but my CFI went home mid-flight! He went home after meeting me (I had done three landings on my own) and as I almost parked the plane, and after putting my name up on the board (there is a board where they congratulate private pilots and solo students).

I had the plane for another hour after he left, so I took off again for some more landings, but called it a day when I pulled off the above, stall horn, centerline, crosswind landing - it was over 90 degrees in my plane and I needed water pretty bad. I said to myself (I could hear it on my original video which is too long to post): "Should I go again? Should I go again?" and I ALMOST taxi onto the taxiway that leads to the runway, then turn back, and say "nope, I'm done."

Really thought it "best" to land on a good note - pun intended.

TOMORROW I GET TO GO SOLO AGAIN, AND NO ONE WILL BE AROUND (NOT MY INSTRUCTOR, NOT EVEN THE FLIGHT SCHOOL STAFF)!!!

He said pattern only, and he wants me to call him in the morning before I go for a final weather check, but still. Then he asked me to be sure I have the plane next weekend for Sat and Sun at least 3 hours each so I can do my solo XC to Ukiah one of those two days!

Tomorrow will be so cool. I will do a little pre-flight video for fun if I have time.

Kimberly

Posted that for my CFI - don't tell him my "real" you tube channel, where I will probably put other flying videos like when I fly with other pilots at that fly-in LOL. This is an account I created for him.
Are you going to post the other videos under the name "FlyingVideosForEveryoneElse"? :rofl:

Glad you enjoyed yourself. Good for you! :thumbsup:

I solo'd today (Sunday) - in 9-15 knot crosswinds! Remember, this is my cell phone taking a video of the camcorder hooked up to my TV. The "good" version takes forever to get off the camera to the computer and I was in a hurry:

http://youtu.be/1rAJJu-1itg

Wish I could land that good. I should have you give me some lessons.

Very nice...stayed on the upwind side of the runway and corrected as necessary. You did a good job and have obviously been well trained. My insurance company wouldn't like it but if you want to fly the Frankenkota you're quite welcome to do so. Of course you'll have to fly it from the right seat with me in the left so that might not be so much fun.:D

Wow, I wasn't expecting anyone to reply!

Thanks!

You won't believe this but I'm of the opinion "you don't ask, you don't get" so everything is worth asking, right?

What I mean is on the fourth (yesterday) I was set to go solo (again). Pattern only. It was such an awesome day I phoned my CFI who was at home and said "hey can I go to Gnoss or perhaps the practice area?"

He reminded me that I was not endorsed for other airports (whoops). Then I asked if I could leave and come back. That would have been my third solo since May, I'd never been unsupervised, never left the pattern, and my first solo cross country next weekend looming over my head I thought I should at least leave the pattern first before flying 100 miles round trip!

He said OK but don't go more than 25 miles and you can only land back at your home airport and call me when you are home safe.

Woo hoo!

I was so excited. I was ALL ALONE (no CFI). The windsock was LIMP (awesome). There were NO CLOUDS (double awesome). There were no planes in the pattern (triple awesome)..... and I could leave and come back!

What to do?

I flew out to the VOR since I'd been having issues, still screwed that up but fixed it eventually, and shot video of the VOR to prove I'd made it. I thought I should finally do something rather than fart around straight and level so I did some steep turns but did not want to attempt slow flight or stalls, since it has been literally months of "other things" and no recent practice with a CFI. I may or may not do those things alone but only if and when I feel safe and well trained in each manuever. Right now I'm a bit rusty and might not do them correctly..... not a good thing.

I realized how much time had gone by and thought heck, I should go back and practice landings. I was really proud of myself for doing a go-around and not "fixing it" like I used to (ego). I did some OK landings but ran out of tape and thought the whole thing was on video but found out later it was not.

Some very short memories / videos from the flight, each less than a minute or two:

Here is a CHEESY video of me talking to the camera and showing the planes (again, video of a video):

http://youtu.be/oq7CoWJq5-c

(no making fun of my California accent, those of you who aren't from the West coast).

Another (less cheesy) video of the "typical" scenery around my practice area:

http://youtu.be/Zh3FnmfQsOk

The world's worst attempt at a steep turn (I know! I lost altitude!):

http://youtu.be/8td9cWjDAeM

An OK attempt at a landing / off centerline (No I don't scream like this after every landing, I was just excited I'd flown somewhere then come back and made it- in one piece! With the freaking stall horn to boot!):

http://youtu.be/UnyylQSZ4tY

If it makes you feel any better, the first time I ever left the pattern I got lost.

Did a good landing though.

Can't remember what I did the first time I left the pattern - probably just cruised around with a stupid grin on my face.

Later, each time I left the pattern I made sure to work on all the maneuvers that I'd need to do for a checkride. Your CFI will probably give you some ideas on what to practice - you'll have a pretty good idea of your weak points, too, so go work on them by yourself and have fun!

The first time I left the pattern I was so happy I was singing. Only upon my return did I find out the mike button was stuck and I'd been singing on the tower frequency for 20 minutes or so. Ground's comment after clearing me to taxi in was "Thanks for the kareoke." :redface:

John

Looks like a nice airport and nice scenery around there. Glad it went so well!

The first time I left the pattern I was so happy I was singing. Only upon my return did I find out the mike button was stuck and I'd been singing on the tower frequency for 20 minutes or so. Ground's comment after clearing me to taxi in was "Thanks for the kareoke." :redface:

John

I screamed on that landing (or made some scream like a girl noise, can't understand if I said something or just squealed). I didn't sing but I do remember thinking I was in a giant car in the sky..... in a good way.

I do love the paint job on your airplane door - reminds me of my high school parking lot!

Back