My First Real Emergency - Saturday

kimberlyanne546

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Kimberly
On Saturday I was going to - finally - solo the airplane to the practice area. It has been over a month and probably more than 5 flights (mostly cross countries) since I had my first solo and I need 10 hours of solo time total. I only have 0.3 hours from that first "give me three landings and you are a pilot" day.

My instructor already told me that for at least the first two or three solos he would like to first meet with me, fly the plane with me, and then let me go solo.

So we met up on Saturday, at which point it had been almost 2 weeks since I had flown an airplane so I was feeling rusty. It was a really busy day at the airport, though non-towered, and lots of people were on the CTAF.

During the runup I do remember my instructor commenting that the engine sounded rough, but with that bad mag check from a few weeks ago it was sounding great to me in comparison. We paid extra attention to everything on runup and I didn't even notice a noise.

At rotation, in hindsight, it might have taken a few extra feet down the runway to get to 50 knots but nothing so dramatic that I would abort the takeoff. In fact, at the time, I doubt I gave it a second thought. Everything was "normal enough" up until that moment.

After takeoff, however, was a different story. I didn't seem to be climbing as much as I normally do- the objects on the ground were way too close to me. The engine wasn't behaving correctly. I was pitched for 67 knots but seeing 80 and then my CFI said "turn crosswind early". After the turn, the engine made a sputtering noise and my airspeed dropped to almost stalling speed not that high off the ground (no stall horn but I was concerned). I stopped my radio call mid-call, and without saying "I got the plane" he pulled the carb heat out, locked the throttle full power, and announced a "low downwind" (but never the word 'emergency'). Later both he and I admitted we'd thought about doing a 180 back to the runway we just took off of, for fear we couldn't make it back around the pattern without losing the engine. He smelled oil and feared an engine fire, loss of engine, etc... however he reminded me that at an untowered airport there could be planes without radios and it was a busy day so best thing to do was use the normal runway where people will be scanning for traffic on final anyway.

So we're puttering along on a low downwind when a guy pulls out saying "departing runway two niner" but doesn't budge past the hold short line and two more planes are also waiting to take off. In a calm voice my CFI asks him to "please expedite your takeoff, sir, we may have a problem here". The man says he will expedite and he takes off. I hear other planes coming in to land but they are further out and my instructor puts it into (low) final.

The highest we got while trying to climb that whole pattern was only 500 feet (my elevation is 100 so truly only 400 feet). All this time I was silent and 100% off the controls, knowing there was an issue, then on short final he says "hey Kimberly, wanna land the plane?" Of course I say yes and I have a pretty good landing, then I taxi back to the parking area.

We don't push it into place, we immediately start looking for oil. I crawl under the plane and check the struts and underbelly for oil marks, he checks all the visible areas. When we find no signs of anything wrong, he tells me we will have to wait for them to take the cowling off to see what the problem is.

We go inside, call one of the staff mechanics on his day off, and the next day I find out it was a cracked cylinder!

Yikes.

So now I can't solo for a week or two (going to find out today when the plane will be back up and running).

(sigh)

PS - If I was solo that day of course I wonder what I would have done in the same situation. All in all I was not scared and I am sure it was a good learning experience.

PS - If I was solo that day of course I wonder what I would have done in the same situation.

You would have followed rule #1 - Fly the airplane. After that,...???

You are already one-up on a lot of people - you've been in an emergency and seen the advantage of not panicking.

Thanks. And yes, I don't think fear of the unknown (such as - when will this engine quit and how close will I be to an airport) would have helped me at all.

I am happy that everyone remained calm. We reviewed the procedures in the POH when we got back and I discussed it even further this week with my instructor.

I do not think I will be afraid to fly that plane in the future, even though a girl I met at a 99s meeting says she trained in it and had an engine emergency on a solo cross country she did - ends up they rebuilt the engine right after her checkride and so she had been experiencing losts of engine issues before then.

I flew the 172 instead last night for my first (and last) dual night cross country 100+ miles. I wanted to pre-flight the lights which I don't normally do and we found out the landing light was out. That was fun - landing "really" in the dark.

There's no point to NOT indicating you're having problems. Both times I've had engine failures (one partial where I came around the pattern like you did) and one where I did teardrop it back to the runway, clearly stating I had a problem caused everybody else to get out of the way in an unsolicited manner.

One of the regular posters here snapped an elevator cable on a solo flight while a student pilot. Good job. You might ask your CFI why he didn't declare an emergency. It would have gotten everyone out of his way, and made things a bit easier. He definitely had one. You did a good job. Congrats on surviving your first in air emergency.

One of the regular posters here snapped an elevator cable on a solo flight while a student pilot. Good job. You might ask your CFI why he didn't declare an emergency. It would have gotten everyone out of his way, and made things a bit easier. He definitely had one. You did a good job. Congrats on surviving your first in air emergency.

Actually, I admired him for keeping his cool, but you are right, I should have asked him why he didn't declare an emergency (I know I would have - maybe not using the words correctly - but I would have).

I will try to remember this weekend to ask him why he did not declare an emergency, especially since he knew we were headed back towards the runway. My guess is that there were so many people and it was taking us a long time to fly back to the landing spot.

I will try to remember this weekend to ask him why he did not declare an emergency, especially since he knew we were headed back towards the runway. My guess is that there were so many people and it was taking us a long time to fly back to the landing spot.

This is one lesson I hope you don't take to heart. There were lots of people to possibly get in your way in the middle of an in-air emergency. That's exactly WHY you declare one. So those folks know to give you a good-sized right of way. Too bad they're inconvenienced. You could have gotten dead.

There is nothing wrong with a cool announcement of "mayday, mayday, mayday". Please never be afraid to make one. The FAA won't care. They'd rather you declare an emergency than die from one. I know this didn't turn out that dire, but in the air you didn't know what was wrong with that engine or how long it was going to last.

Like I said, totally good on you. Is this the CFI who didn't want you to fly with other pilots? Sounds like he could use some training in ADM himself.

This is one lesson I hope you don't take to heart. There were lots of people to possibly get in your way in the middle of an in-air emergency. That's exactly WHY you declare one. So those folks know to give you a good-sized right of way. Too bad they're inconvenienced. You could have gotten dead.

There is nothing wrong with a cool announcement of "mayday, mayday, mayday". Please never be afraid to make one. The FAA won't care. They'd rather you declare an emergency than die from one. I know this didn't turn out that dire, but in the air you didn't know what was wrong with that engine or how long it was going to last.

Like I said, totally good on you. Is this the CFI who didn't want you to fly with other pilots? Sounds like he could use some training in ADM himself.

Yes this is the CFI who cautioned me from flying with pilots I don't know. I have flown with one other CFI at another airport and he has always said that is OK / I need to do what I need to do to get my pilot training and if that means going elsewhere he wishes me the best. That same week another one of his students flew with a different CFI too.

Kimberly

There's no point to NOT indicating you're having problems. Both times I've had engine failures (one partial where I came around the pattern like you did) and one where I did teardrop it back to the runway, clearly stating I had a problem caused everybody else to get out of the way in an unsolicited manner.

What they said: Aviate - fly the airplane, which you did. Navigate - the decision was made to get back to the rwy and land, and you headed back. Communicate - That's the time to say you have an emergency. Your CFI could have asked you to do step #3 while he was doing steps #1 and #2.

Proud of you for being in the moment enough to WANT to land it! Excellent!

Funny, I never thought about it that way, but thanks. To me it was like this:

1. He took over the controls when it seemed like there was a REAL possibility of either fire or complete failure at any second (this includes radios).

2. Once landing "was assured" and we were literally only a few dozen feet above the runway and on correct glide path, for whatever reason, he felt compelled to give me back the plane. I remember when I took it back I had been so off the controls for the past several minutes I thought "what did you do" and checked as quickly as I could the trim and flaps and airspeed and whatnot as the ground came at me. So funny I've never been handed a plane back that close to a landing..... but it was fine and in fact I did a full stall, soft, normal landing.

Awesome job to the both of you for keeping calm! Might have been a completely different story if the engine completely died, or if a piston burst out spreading oil all over the windshield!

Always glad to hear a good outcome to a real emergency

I don't see any reason to not declare an emergency, or at least call a "Pan Pan" in this scenario, but other than that, I like the way he handled that and also just made it part of the training process for you. Well done, both of you!

And you really are lucky to have gotten your first engine problem out of the way so soon- I am still waiting for mine. :(
Since I'm only acting PIC with gliders these days, an engine problem right after takeoff is not a pleasant thought. :rolleyes2:
My tow pilots are even less enthusiastic about it... :D

It's funny when I think about it, though- almost 300 hours over 14 years, mostly in various beat-up rentals, I've never had a powerplant-related problem other than a little carb ice once, and a failed alternator another time. In general, these engines are very dependable.

Look back- did the insructor do anything you couldn't have done?

That's right. He didn't.

Personally, I would have (did) said something about returing with engine problems just so people know to give room.

But other than that - it can be a tough call - u turn and land downwind or fly the pattern? Leave well enough alone or mess with mixture / mags / etc. to try and fix it (or kill it completely)? Sounds like you both did well.

I flew the 172 instead last night for my first (and last) dual night cross country 100+ miles. I wanted to pre-flight the lights which I don't normally do and we found out the landing light was out. That was fun - landing "really" in the dark.

First - great job on the way you and your CFI handled the emergency. As others have noted - declaring an emergency or at least saying mayday would have been a good idea, if that engine had suddenly gotten worse you might have NEEDED the runway to be clear.

But to your above quote:
'You flew at night even after you preflighted and found the landing light was inoperative? Did you rent the airplane?

Take a look at 91.205 (c) - your instructor should not have taken that airplane. YES, you CAN fly without a landing light, and it's good to know how to land in case you find that your light dies between the time you preflighted and the time you needed it.

I can hear comments like "Come on, you don't really NEED a landing light" - but it's a bad habit to go fly with stuff on the airplane that doesn't work without doing the stuff required in 91.213, and in this particular case, since your airplane was operated for hire, an electric landing light is required for night operations - which means it needs to be working.

Agree with Tim on the landing light issue.

But I'm happy that you had a good learning experience with a real emergency. Just know that you probably have 10,000 hours of flying now without a cracked cylinder! Should you, however, experience something similar later, you'll handle it with calm professionalism, I'm sure!

And (though this is much later in training than you), I'll tell you about my real life emergency. I had my PPL and was training for the IR. In actual, my AI failed. That would scare the poopoo out of most people (OK, it scared me poopoo-less, too!), but my CFII was very calm. He said, fly with the turn and bank. Keep the ball in the center. Use the other instruments. Meanwhile, he calmly requested a descent of 1000 feet which got us out of the clouds.

I will never forget this experience and my incredible CFII's professionalism and calm. I learned about flying from THAT!

We go inside, call one of the staff mechanics on his day off, and the next day I find out it was a cracked cylinder!
I'm so jealous. I went through 85 hours without an emergency, so I keep wondering how I would do. By now it is virtually guaranteed to happen without a CFI onboard.

Kimberly,
I'm with the others on two points.
1) you did a great job. Rule #1: don't panic!
2) you or the instructor should have mentioned an emergency on the radio, since it seems like you had time.

I was once as a primary student coming in to land at our pilot-controlled airport. I didn't like my approach and had just called a go-around when I saw another plane on VERY short final in the OPPOSITE DIRECTION without any radio calls. It turns out that he was doing a precautionary return to the field after he experienced a partial loss of power, not dissimilar from yours. Admittedly, he came back on the downwind runway instead of the "active" runway, so it wasn't quite like your situation, but it was an (unnecessarily) tense moment for me that would have been alleviated with a simple radio call. Had I not already decided to go missed, it would have been a potentially disastrous situation, not just alarming.

That said, great job, and may it be your only emergency declaration in your entire flying career!

Kimberly, You learned a valuable lesson early on. A good result thanks for sharing the experience.

You might ask your CFI why he didn't declare an emergency. It would have gotten everyone out of his way, and made things a bit easier.

I agree that the emergency existed, and that saying they had an emergency was probably a good idea, but do you really think it would automagically get everyone out of the way at an untowered airport? You'd sure hope so, but maybe my faith in humanity is a bit weak.

The idea is to fill your bucket of experience before your buck of luck is emptied. Kimberly is well on the way to success.

Whether the CFI did something Kimberly couldn't have done herself is not exactly the question because it ignores the value of experience.

However, good job all around.

Kimberly, what decision would you while coming around to final (low) the other aircraft holding short had not been so cooperative?

I agree that the emergency existed, and that saying they had an emergency was probably a good idea, but do you really think it would automagically get everyone out of the way at an untowered airport? You'd sure hope so, but maybe my faith in humanity is a bit weak.
Well, it would have kept my instructor from wasting time on the air asking why the other plane was landing downwind!

At least it was something out of your control...on my first solo I also had a climbing problem.......because.....I forgot to put the flaps up...

Kim,

You done GOOD!

I think that this experience will serve to make you a better pilot. I can't think of anything that would make someone more motivated to learn emergency procedures and learn them well.

The closest I've come to this type experience is that both of my instructors have had their fair share of real emergencies over the years, thus they both have made it very clear how important it is to take the emergency procedure training seriously.

As I've said before, you're on your way to being a savvy and competent pilot.

BTW, I'm REALLY happy that it all turned out so well.

Doc

Likewise.

A common issue around here during rush hour (well, really any time) is that folks will speed up to deliberately cut you off or get in your way if you turn a turn signal on to change lanes on the highway. If you run across a pilot like that, I can see the mentality of "I better get in before they land and block the runway".

Right.

So you say "Emergency" -- the two guys NORDO don't hear it, the guy yakking it up on the runp pad doesn't hear it, and the two IFR studs don't hear it on extended final because they're still on Approach freq....

Throw in some "Hunh? what did he say?" responses as the airplanes drone on and we find that declaring an emergency at a non-towered field is no hall pass.

Aviate, Navigate, Communicate -- it sounds like you both did and concluded the flight successfully. Well done.

Right.

So you say "Emergency" -- the two guys NORDO don't hear it, the guy yakking it up on the runp pad doesn't hear it, and the two IFR studs don't hear it on extended final because they're still on Approach freq....

Throw in some "Hunh? what did he say?" responses as the airplanes drone on and we find that declaring an emergency at a non-towered field is no hall pass.

Aviate, Navigate, Communicate -- it sounds like you both did and concluded the flight successfully. Well done.
Last time I called out "4 mile final to 17 with engine trouble" I got a reply "Did you say engine trouble?" - so someone was listening. Will everyone hear? No. But if 75% of the people do, then the chances are at least reduced that someone will create a conflict.

I think it is more likely that other pilots will give the right of way to a stricken aircraft if they know its stricken than not. I hope to hell you don't counsel your student not to declare an emergency when they're in trouble.

I think it is more likely that other pilots will give the right of way to a stricken aircraft if they know its stricken than not. I hope to hell you don't counsel your student not to declare an emergency when they're in trouble.

...but a good instructor will focus on aviating and navigating over communicating, and will stress that a radio declaration doesn't suddenly clear the skies.

...but a good instructor will focus on aviating and navigating over communicating, and will stress that a radio declaration doesn't suddenly clear the skies.

No, a poor instructor will do that. A good instructor can manage all three. A really good instructor will teach CRM by having the student issue the mayday, and then talk to the student about what to expect when the mayday is issued.

I can say that even if they are monitoring the frequency and hear you, they may not comprehend therefore not give way. Or yes, one may even try to squeak out thinking they have time before your arrival. Another may think if one could do it, why can't two....

Pilots, ATC, et al, conspire to kill you. Count among those the ones that do hear, comprehend, aren't distracted, and take responsive action. while continuing to monitor without asking ever 5 seconds if you're ok...or even, Hey, can do you think I can get out before you get here? :mad2::mad2::mad2:

The other thing that's missing from the equation is that often times, pilots are reluctant to declare an emergency because they don't want to deal with talking to the FAA afterwards. "Declaring" an emergency has a slightly different meaning at a towered airport vs. a non towered airport. At a towered airport, you're telling ATC you havea problem and you need priority handling and, and afterwards you are probably going to have to justify it at some point. At a non-towered airport, you are simply telling all the traffic that happens to be tuned in and listening that you have a problem and please yield to you. If you make it down safely, you won't be talking to the FAA anyway.

So there is no good reason to not declare an emergency to ATC or a tower if you have one, and no reason at all not to declare an emergency over CTAF at a non-towered airport.

Right.

By this inane argument, one should NEVER make any traffic or any other report on the CTAF.

I hope to hell you don't counsel your student not to declare an emergency when they're in trouble.

Not at all. If you even think there might be an emergency, it's better to declare just in case. Here's a great article on the subject that, IMO, every pilot should read: http://www.avweb.com/news/pilotlounge/182061-1.html

But I also wouldn't tell them that everyone else will automatically get out of the way.

"Declaring" an emergency has a slightly different meaning at a towered airport vs. a non towered airport. At a towered airport, you're telling ATC you havea problem and you need priority handling and, and afterwards you are probably going to have to justify it at some point.

Nope, wrong, no way, can we please stop spouting this myth?

There is no paperwork or justification required after declaring an emergency, even at a towered airport.

When you're riding in the ops van behind your airplane being towed off the runway, they ask what your name is and where the plane is based. End of story. The "Big, Bad, FAA" myth has probably killed dozens of pilots. Can we stop it now, please?

By this inane argument, one should NEVER make any traffic or any other report on the CTAF.

I don't think Dan was saying to not declare the emergency (read his other posts in this thread), he's simply saying that it won't magically get all the other airplanes out of your way so you need to remain vigilant.

Not at all. If you even think there might be an emergency, it's better to declare just in case. Here's a great article on the subject that, IMO, every pilot should read: http://www.avweb.com/news/pilotlounge/182061-1.html

But I also wouldn't tell them that everyone else will automatically get out of the way.

Nope, wrong, no way, can we please stop spouting this myth?

There is no paperwork or justification required after declaring an emergency, even at a towered airport.

When you're riding in the ops van behind your airplane being towed off the runway, they ask what your name is and where the plane is based. End of story. The "Big, Bad, FAA" myth has probably killed dozens of pilots. Can we stop it now, please?

If you prang your aircraft, yes you will be talking to the FAA. But that's for pranging your aircraft, not yelling "mayday" in the pattern.

By the way, the one time I did declare an emergency, I did make it safely to the ramp on my own power and that was the end of the story. And that was at a towered airport.

I am unaware of a FAR that would require notification of the FAA for declaring an emergency over CTAF or to another non-ATC facility. If you could kindly show me the applicable one I will kindly eat my words.

Last edited:
I don't think Dan was saying to not declare the emergency (read his other posts in this thread), he's simply saying that it won't magically get all the other airplanes out of your way so you need to remain vigilant.

Exactly.

Look, if the fan stops (and you only have one) the pucker factor is very high.

(See my own power failure emergency here)

Saying "Emergency!" into 122.800 is nice, and might help, but it's not as important as flying the airplane until you arrive at a soft touchdown and rollout place.

In addition, saying "Emergency!" one or two or ten times does not absolve the stricken aircraft of see and avoid.

Given the nature of non-towered field ops, on a busy day at the airport I can assure you at least one pilot in the pattern didn't hear the transmission.

So while I teach Glide, Grass, Gas, Gasp (Get to Vg, find a spot, troubleshoot, announce the emergency), the announcement is lowest priority.

Back