My first landing at JFK

MachFly

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
MachFly
I finally got around to landing at Kennedy.

For some reason I expected it to be very difficult and for ATC to give me some super complicated procedure that I've never heard of before. It wasn't a hard flight, just like any other bravo airport, nothing special.
I planned the flight for 0230 (local) so I wouldn't have to pay all the super expensive fees. Then I also took one of the employees of the FBO with me so when I arrived they'd wave all the fees. The only fees that I still had to pay were the $25 landing fee and the $70 port authority fee, I can't remember what the normal day time fees are but they are significantly higher.
For the flight itself I didn't really want to go IFR but if I was to have any chance of being allowed to land I needed them to expect me. So I filed an IFR flight plan and in the remarks section I wrote that I will be flying VFR. When I asked for flight following I just told them that I have an IFR flight plan on file for this route and made their job easier.
The approach into the airport was not complicated at all, they just gave me a few vectors, put me on final and cleared me to land. They even let me land on the runway they were using for departs because it was significantly closer to the FBO I was going to.
Taxiing around the airport was a bit problematic because there were a whole bunch of taxiways, and long instructions. But I did fine without even asking for progressive.
On the way back I did exactly the same thing. After take off as soon as I passed 500ft they cleared me direct.

Wow $95 to land at JFK.
Leave it to the city of New York to have additional port fees.
Do any of the surrounding smaller airports have this port fee?
My most expensive landing fee ever was $25 at KMCO and it was waived for doing business with the local FBO.

I'd pay $95 to be able to put in my logbook I landed there. It's like a donation to put something cool in the book. :)

I landed there too this past Friday... of course I was on a jetBlue flight.

I finally got around to landing at Kennedy.

For some reason I expected it to be very difficult and for ATC to give me some super complicated procedure that I've never heard of before. It wasn't a hard flight, just like any other bravo airport, nothing special.
I planned the flight for 0230 (local) so I wouldn't have to pay all the super expensive fees. Then I also took one of the employees of the FBO with me so when I arrived they'd wave all the fees. The only fees that I still had to pay were the $25 landing fee and the $70 port authority fee, I can't remember what the normal day time fees are but they are significantly higher.
For the flight itself I didn't really want to go IFR but if I was to have any chance of being allowed to land I needed them to expect me. So I filed an IFR flight plan and in the remarks section I wrote that I will be flying VFR. When I asked for flight following I just told them that I have an IFR flight plan on file for this route and made their job easier.
The approach into the airport was not complicated at all, they just gave me a few vectors, put me on final and cleared me to land. They even let me land on the runway they were using for departs because it was significantly closer to the FBO I was going to.
Taxiing around the airport was a bit problematic because there were a whole bunch of taxiways, and long instructions. But I did fine without even asking for progressive.
On the way back I did exactly the same thing. After take off as soon as I passed 500ft they cleared me direct.

An airport is an airport is an airport.

I wish I had a dollar for every VOR 4R circle 31R approach I've made there--in the G-V sim.

I wish I had a dollar for every VOR 4R circle 31R approach I've made there--in the G-V sim.

I've done the old VOR-13L/13R approach over Canarsie many, many times. Fly the approach on the 043 inbound/041 outbound and break out and follow the lead in lights on the buildings in a right turn to the runway.

Fun times.

My guess is the fees are there to keep us bug smashers out of there.

Do any of the surrounding smaller airports have this port fee?

I do not believe so. Perhaps the other two bravos and teterboro, but the other deltas and charlie don't.

An airport is an airport is an airport.

I wouldn't put it quite like that, landing at an unpaved strip in the middle of nowhere would be very different from landing at a large international airport.

Last edited:
Wow $95 to land at JFK.
Leave it to the city of New York to have additional port fees.

It's not the City. It is the Port Authority of NY and NJ.

Same difference, though. Open wallet, pay. Next!

-Skip

Interesting.
I got my pilots license so I would NEVER have to land at JFK or Laguardia again.

:)

Glenn

Back