My First 200mph+ Level Cruise Ground Speed In The Skylane

Sinistar

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Brad
Today on the way back from a mock check ride I'm thinking we are really zipping along fast. So I open Garmin pilot and ground speed is reading 193mph. His Foreflight concurs. We're cruising nice and level and only 3500msl (2500agl). To save gas I was cruising at 20" and 2200rpm and leaned. So, being an "almost pilot" I look at the instructor, he smiles...and needless to say 3 different knobs got pushed in a bit! I think I saw around 205mph. Never even tried 75% power.

The winds are so crazy right now. At the airport it was a 8kt 90deg crosswind the ground. Go up 2000' and we easily had over 50mph tailwind about 70deg out from the ground winds. Flying the downwind to land was crazy with the crab angle giving this perfect view of the airport.

I should mention the initial outbound leg was like 88mph :)

Amazing. I swear that I have a headwind on EVERY long XC I fly...you know the saying "...back in my day I had to walk uphill in the snow BOITH ways..."?...well, that sums up my flying!

I need to open mine up and see what it will do. The 430 shows 172kts as the top speed recorded. Not sure what it is since I have owned it, but I'm usually cruising conservatively at ~143ktas

I had a portable auto GPS that for some reason would falsely record the top speed at 132 MPH. On the ground. I used the GPS for a while because the speedometer quit working.

Pretty good for an old truck with a stock engine....

I was once surprised to see 248mph at cruise at only 2500' in my RV-4. It was a crazy winter wind aloft but not bad at ground level. And it was incredibly smooth. I

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You were hauling pretty good! Best ground speed I've seen so far in the Luscombe was 120 kt, in advance of a cold front moving into the area a couple months ago. I thought that was exciting!:D

Slow pokes....

At night, 400ft AGL, 540knt GS, nap of the earth

Slow pokes....

At night, 400ft AGL, 540knt GS, nap of the earth
Damn (and ENVY)!!! ...but I was only burning like 11gal/hr :(

Okay: At night, -400 MSL going (well I can't say how fast) at (well I can't say where either) helm & planes on a nuculer submarine :stirpot:

I can listen to that speed check speech over and over again. It never gets old!

Highest groundspeed I’ve ever seen was 706kts. That’s about 812 mph.
Slow for a miltary guy, but still not bad. Was in a C750 (citation x) with about a 170kt tailwind.

Highest I’ve seen was 310knts. True airspeed was about 253 knots at 11,500 ft.

Back