My FBO makes me mad

Meanee

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Meanee
So,

Our FBO had an OK plane selection. 2 150's, 1 152, 2 172's, Diamond, Seneca, and a complex 172.

Diamond is $160/hour and 3 hour checkout required.
One 172 got totaled after a wheel popped off at takeoff.
Complex 172 got a prop strike
Last 172 is a leaseback and it's owner constantly flies it. Next available time that I could take it for 2 hours is on September 23rd.

Nobody ever flies a Seneca. Insurance requirements say that 750 hours total, 75 multi, 25 in type required before you can even touch the damn thing.

FBO promised a new plane and they received one. A Baron.

:mad2::mad2::mad2::mad2::mad2:

So,

Our FBO had an OK plane selection. 2 150's, 1 152, 2 172's, Diamond, Seneca, and a complex 172.

Last 172 is a leaseback and it's owner constantly flies it. Next available time that I could take it for 2 hours is on September 23rd.

Nobody ever flies a Seneca. Insurance requirements say that 750 hours total, 75 multi, 25 in type required before you can even touch the damn thing.

time to buy

I saw a 150 on eBay for $10k. Now that would be some cheap flying!

I typically have more than 1 person with me. And me being 6' and 230lbs, it takes some serious skill to get in and out of 152. And I just don't like 152's.

I saw a 150 on eBay for $10k. Now that would be some cheap flying!

You'll find the cheep ones are the ones you can't afford to own.

I saw a 150 on eBay for $10k. Now that asking price would be sufficiently low to tempt some poor sucker into thinking he was buying some cheap flying!

FTFY.

Drive a little farther to another FBO. How far is the next one?

I saw a 150 on eBay for $10k. Now that asking price would be sufficiently low to tempt some poor sucker into thinking he was buying some cheap flying!

I'd be the sucker even after knowing better. :D

Fortunately, my FBO is pretty good. There is a decent selection and the rates aren't too bad.

I typically have more than 1 person with me. And me being 6' and 230lbs, it takes some serious skill to get in and out of 152. And I just don't like 152's.

You can find decent Cherokee 180s in the 30K's. The wider cabin of the PA28 is quite a bit more roomy in the front seats than even the Cessna 172. The single door really isn't that bad to ingress/egress either. The Cherokees are cheap to insure and maintain too.

Last edited:
Until you sit in the back of a Cherokee and realize what you have been subjecting your poor pax to.

Oh the humanity!

Until you sit in the back of a Cherokee and realize what you have been subjecting your poor pax to.

Oh the humanity!

Ok, let's call it a warrior then. you can still get those for 30K or less! I own one, the back seat is fine. I don't understand the premium 172s command over the warrior, with a whole 10 less usable gallons of fuel no less.

The only indignity about the warrior is the ingress/egress. No doubt, I hate it. But it's not worth a 5-10K premium for a second door.

Get into a shared ownership situation or start a flying club. Renting is a dead end.

Why does it make you mad ?

I bought a 1979 Arch-Warrior for 36. In the paint shop now. Has the 180 HP engine and flys like a dream.

No lotto ticket. Bought it in partnership with my old friend who's going to take lessons now. Will post pics when out of paint shop.

John's plane would not be a budget buster and would do well for your needs.....

So,

Which Diamond?
It is expensive for the DA20, it's on the cheap side for a DA40, and it's super cheap for a DA42.
3 hour checkout is fine.

Oh the humanity!

Think that's a problem with most planes of that type.

Plus if your flying such a plane that means your flying it for yourself, if your flying a Citation that means your flying it for the passengers.

John, How about a link to your plane for some info on it ?. I have been thinking of getting rid of my 140 for somethingh with better avionics and an autopilot.

Randy

Maybe, maybe not.

Think that's a problem with most planes of that type.

Plus if your flying such a plane that means your flying it for yourself, if your flying a Citation that means your flying it for the passengers.

Oh the humanity!

Still beats sitting in the back of a 150/152 :rofl: :D :yikes: :smilewinkgrin: :devil: :stirpot:

(yes, I know there's no back seats in a 150/152... but there is a baggage area)

Last edited:
Which Diamond?
It is expensive for the DA20, it's on the cheap side for a DA40, and it's super cheap for a DA42.
3 hour checkout is fine.

It's DA40. But honestly, $40/hour premium just for glass is kind of pointless to me.

It's DA40. But honestly, $40/hour premium just for glass is kind of pointless to me.
Just for glass? Have a look at the cruising speed. The DA-40 is more on par with a 182 than a 172 in terms of speed, IIRC. Does it also have WAAS or XM weather? You don't mention how the 172s are equipped. And, depending on location, $120/hr for a 172 is a good deal!

Just glass?
$160 is a great price for a 40, I used to pay $190 a few years back.

I can't think of any single engine GA plane that I'd rather fly over DA40.

What don't you like about it? It cruises at 135kts, climbs good, visibility is amazing, plenty of room in the cockpit, handles great, low fuel consumption, and very good structural integrate (probably the best).

Just for glass? Have a look at the cruising speed. The DA-40 is more on par with a 182 than a 172 in terms of speed, IIRC. Does it also have WAAS or XM weather? You don't mention how the 172s are equipped. And, depending on location, $120/hr for a 172 is a good deal!

I have yet to see a DA40 without WAAS.

Pretty well equipped but seen better days. For example, GPS zoom buttons are nowhere to be found. They just fell off. 2 axis autopilot, but currently inop. But otherwise, nice, clean. And has Rosen visors! Manufactured in 2002, so not an old one.

The wrecked 172 was a bit better. Garmin 430, Garmin transponder, autopilot, 180hp engine. Was my checkride plane. And hourly rate was $130.

No idea on WAAS or XM on Diamond. Never bothered with a checkout so don't know.

Just glass?
$160 is a great price for a 40, I used to pay $190 a few years back.

I can't think of any single engine GA plane that I'd rather fly over DA40.

What don't you like about it? It cruises at 135kts, climbs good, visibility is amazing, plenty of room in the cockpit, handles great, low fuel consumption, and very good structural integrate (probably the best).

Never flew it, didn't want to spend the money. Might try it after I get a bit more in my pocket, but until then, I have to fight a ton of people for the only 172 left.

Never flew it, didn't want to spend the money. Might try it after I get a bit more in my pocket, but until then, I have to fight a ton of people for the only 172 left.

How much is the current 172?

Go find 3 other people in the same situation as yourself, I'm guessing there will be that many if the FBO is low on small GA aircraft. Find a VFR 60's era Cherokee and fly it. If each of you put 25hrs a piece on it, you should be money ahead, even if you have zero down and figure in the note. You ought to be able to get a decent 150 HP Cherokee sub 20K. Start lookin' now, you'll have one in 6 months, I've seen airworthy, decent, 1940-1950's Bonanzas going for 15K (or less), build some HP/Complex time while you're at it. I could get on here and complain about all the FBOs within 150 miles not having the planes I want at the times I want for the price I want to pay but, I just went a got a plane instead. I figured I came out about even on the plane at 100hrs/year and that's up against some of the cheapest rental rates in the country. But, I'd never have been able to put 100hrs on a rental plane due to 100hrs, scheduling conflicts, rental restrictions etc.. etc.. etc..

Back