My favorite gauge

Ed Haywood

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Big Ed
Sent my G meter off to Century Instruments for overhaul and dial rescreen. Came back so nice that I just had to share.

I greatly prefer a big 3" analog dial with bright arcs when I'm pulling hard or pointed straight at the ground and approaching Vne.

For the observant who wonder why it reads zero instead of one G, the needles are locked for shipping.

g meter smaller.jpg

Sent my G meter off to Century Instruments for overhaul and dial rescreen. Came back so nice that I just had to share.

I greatly prefer a big 3" analog dial with bright arcs when I'm pulling hard or pointed straight at the ground and approaching Vne.

For the observant who wonder why it reads zero instead of one G, the needles are locked for shipping.

View attachment 114988

May the force be with you!

Mine just tells me how bad my landings are.

I heard that a former American Champion employee said that airframes shipped by boat overseas would arrive with G meters showing 7 or 8 Gs. Rough trip!

One time after partially detaching my panel to do some work, I noticed the G meter exceeded the red line. Freaked out until I realized that even the slightest jostling of the gauge results in very high readings. With the unmounted gauge in your hand, you can easily exceed 12G just by shaking it. Of course it takes a much bigger hand to shake an 1800 pound aircraft.

Oh, gee...

I see what you did there!

I don't trust digital G-meters when I'm doing what you are doing in your profile pic. I want a big honking color coded dial right in the middle of my panel where my eye can find it instantly. Same for ASI.

Unfortunately nobody makes certified 3" analog G meters any more, so overhauls are a necessity.

Last edited:
My Blue Mountain has a G meter to the right of the heading indicator. Seems pretty accurate. Although I don’t do acro in the Velocity, 60 degrees bank generally yields 2 gs on the gauge.

68F7239F-D251-46CB-B06B-CAE537F5327D.jpeg

Since Yahoo abandoned their groups, do you know of anyone who could help with BMA updates?

View attachment 114988
If they lock it at 0 G, it means it's weightless - saves on shipping costs.

Back