My engine partial/forced landing.....on video

I was trained to use 10 on takeoff all the time. I think it arguably made my situation safer. More wing=more lift=slower stall speed. If you search the web, I'm sure you will learn it is purely a matter of preference and clearly stated as pilot option in the POH.

A recent poll on the Cessna Pilots Association forums showed the majority of 182 drivers used 10 at all takeoffs.

We always used 20 flap in all 182/180/185s. Makes a big difference in getting clear of the ground much quicker.

Cessna doesn't recommend more than 10 flap in the 172. Not enough power to make safe use of it. Still, I have seen 40 flap yanked on in the old manual-flap 172s when running light, and they pop off the ground in very little distance. Milking that much flap off while staying airborne can be fun.

Dan

I was trained to use 10 on takeoff all the time. I think it arguably made my situation safer. More wing=more lift=slower stall speed. If you search the web, I'm sure you will learn it is purely a matter of preference and clearly stated as pilot option in the POH.

A recent poll on the Cessna Pilots Association forums showed the majority of 182 drivers used 10 at all takeoffs.

I don't use flaps on takeoff unless it's a short field. The POH says "FLAPS - 10-20 degrees as desired" and I don't desire them sooo yeah. The first notch of flaps does create more lift but it also creates more drag. So although the stall speed is lower it's still creating more drag.

I have a T182t and unless short field I use no flaps. I speed up in ground effect, and pop up pretty quickly. On short field I use 20 degrees.

Doug

Why THAT field? Do you remember your thought process for that decision. Did you have any power at all? Mundane curiosity: what kind of damage did the airplane sustain and how did you get it back to the airport?

2012-10-24084130.jpg

2012-10-24084444.jpg

20121023_171433.jpg

2012-10-24084139.jpg

That field was the only wings mostly level option. Being my home airport, I knew it was there and nothing but mesquite beyond. I guess subconsciously as I left the aerodrome, I figured I could try to work the engine clean until/if I got there. Also was aware of the pipline clearing leading to, hence the left bank.

I had partial power. Enough to hold altitude, but couldn't get above 65kts. Plane gets the wings popped off and hauled to local A&P Monday.

Last edited:
Take off the other damaged wheel pants,, mow a section of that field and fly it back... Call me .. I will do it.:yes:

Nice job, Robert! :yes:

I bet that on future flights you will add a new section to your otherwise excellent pre-takeoff checklist / briefing. I had an instructor encourage me on every flight to verbalize my go-no-go criteria ("xx knots by taxiway Charlie", for example) and engine-failure-shortly-after-takeoff plan, briefed specifically for the particular airport I was departing from. At the home 'drome, the choices are usually ingrained, but I'm now in the habit of scoping out good departure engine out landing alternatives while approaching a new-to-me-airport and using Google Earth to see what options there might be (with the caveat that things change on satellite views, but they don't usually tear down a mall or subdivision).

All that said, AWESOME JOB and I'm glad you shared it with us! I think your breathing told the whole story. Absolutely perfect landing, stall horn and all. Did you get all the flaps out before landing? Let us know what the engine problem ends up being.

If you want to extend the reach of your story and "don't turn back, land straight ahead" lesson, I know AOPA's Air Safety Foundation would love to talk to you for their "real pilot stories" video series:

http://www.aopa.org/asf/pilotstories/index.html

At the bottom of the page is information on how to reach them:

Ever had a close call in an airplane? Could others learn from your experience? Send ASI the details and we’ll consider using your story in a future edition of Real Pilot Stories!

An engine failure at 6500' was far less stressful because I had over 6 minutes to manage the situation.

Not sure I'd do as well as you at 200' AGL. Nice, nice job. :bow:

Take off the other damaged wheel pants,, mow a section of that field and fly it back... Call me .. I will do it.:yes:

:yikes:

You might feel a little sheepish though if you manage to get up, then the engine loses power again requiring another forced landing... Maybe this time in the trees.

:yikes:

You might feel a little sheepish though if you manage to get up, then the engine loses power again requiring another forced landing... Maybe this time in the trees.

There would be an EXTENSIVE run up on the ground to try and duplicate the engine loss of power... Seems to me the FAA /NTSB would want to do that too... if ya remove the wings and take it back to the airport you might fix/mask/ alter the reason why it lost power in the first place. IMHO.

Very nice job. You did fantastic. Just from the video, I think i would have tried to put it down on the crossing runway the second the engine sputtered because of the surrounding trees just based on the sound of the engine changing RPMs. But I was not in the cockpit so its hard for me to say that. Excellent job, laugh it off and keep flying!

The FAA guy and I did a standard runup. Engine was unhappy at both 1700rpm and idle. Not missing like it did airborne WOT, but enough to know something was off. I'm hating te idea of removing the wings for transport, but I'm going to follow Chartis' lead on this process. I will push for a rerigging at the end, as I'm sure they will be parting ways with me at renewal.

The FAA guy and I did a standard runup. Engine was unhappy at both 1700rpm and idle. Not missing like it did airborne WOT, but enough to know something was off. I'm hating te idea of removing the wings for transport, but I'm going to follow Chartis' lead on this process. I will push for a rerigging at the end, as I'm sure they will be parting ways with me at renewal.

Congrats again on a safe landing.... let us know what the investigation uncovers.....

Ps... too bad a heli can't just pick it up and sling it the mile or so back to the airport. :dunno:

Robert, first, great airmanship not much more praise I can heap on beyond what others have said. You are lucky the terrain was so hospitable, had that happened at my field or other place in the north east where it is more congested it would have been considerably more dicey.

I am curious that call to your wife , that must have been interesting.

I am curious that call to your wife , that must have been interesting.

First call was to brother/partner. Funkeruski in these parts. He may have a funny account of my state as I called him no longer than 1 minute after I set down. Waited 30 minutes for call to wife. Wanted a calmer demeanor

I can only repeat what others have said...you displayed good solid airmanship from the taxiway to the stop in the scrub. The attention to detail paid off in a successful off airport landing, and it's obvious you had previously considered and planned where to put the aircraft in the event of a takeoff emergency.

Well done, sir.

First call was to brother/partner. Funkeruski in these parts. He may have a funny account of my state as I called him no longer than 1 minute after I set down. Waited 30 minutes for call to wife. Wanted a calmer demeanor

He was definitely still trippin. Of course my main concern was the condition of the plane. :D. I then debated whether to tell my wife and began to scheme ways that we could both hide the incident from our wives. But, being a man of such high morals, I abandoned that plan pretty quick.:idea:

I have since informed my wife that my flying days are not over. :happydance:

Last edited:
Very nice job. You did fantastic. Just from the video, I think i would have tried to put it down on the crossing runway the second the engine sputtered because of the surrounding trees just based on the sound of the engine changing RPMs. But I was not in the cockpit so its hard for me to say that. Excellent job, laugh it off and keep flying!

At 65 +-5 knots and with only 1000' remaining it was an option but he'd have certainly gone off the end and into that field. (I looked at the airport diagram, and you can see the 1000' markers in the video I believe). I can't tell if there's a fence or drainage ditch there but there probably is.

And you can see him running his emergency flow right then, seeing if there was some "simple" reason the O-470 was coughing. He's busy. If it'd been the fuel selector or mixture or carb ice, etc... He'd have found it. He mentioned missing the primer until after landing but it wasn't a factor.

Putting myself in his shoes with a bunch of time in that same aircraft type, I discounted the landing on the remaining crossing runway after watching the video and looking over the (unfamiliar to me) airport. It's not a great option.

If they crossed more near the center, it'd be perfect, but they merge too far south, so unless the engine had completely seized, you're committed on that departure.

You probably have to cross that scrub brush to the south. There's a cutout along the scrub on Google Earth that looks like a power line route but I don't see towers. I can not figure out what that is, but it extends many miles northeast. If there's power lines in that cut, you're also trapped West of them the further South you go.

200' isn't quite high enough to do the partial turn to runway 35 there yet either. Need another 150' if you're in practice, 250' if not, but you can keep your speed 0-10 above the stall in a steep turn without power while adding flaps. Pretty touchy. Nose has to come way down.

I think you're stuck with overflying the scrub (if you can) and into that field, just as we see here in the video, if you're not superman and look at available options for non-wild conservative performance maneuvering.

You probably have to cross that scrub brush to the south. There's a cutout along the scrub on Google Earth that looks like a power line route but I don't see towers. I can not figure out what that is, but it extends many miles northeast. If there's power lines in that cut, you're also trapped West of them the further South you go.
Pretty sure he said that was a pipeline. Still not ideal, but better than power lines. At least with most pipelines I've seen, it might actually be low enough for a high-wing to go over it if necessary. Still wouldn't be my first choice if there was any other option besides trees or water.

I found this video showing a successful turn back to the airport with partial power.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LPAp3n5Lcg&feature=related

This video was close to being an example of what not to do. I still think the OP did the right thing as the pilot in the video above was close to losing it IMO but in his mind had to turn around because of the trees.

At 65 +-5 knots and with only 1000' remaining it was an option but he'd have certainly gone off the end and into that field. (I looked at the airport diagram, and you can see the 1000' markers in the video I believe). I can't tell if there's a fence or drainage ditch there but there probably is.

And you can see him running his emergency flow right then, seeing if there was some "simple" reason the O-470 was coughing. He's busy. If it'd been the fuel selector or mixture or carb ice, etc... He'd have found it. He mentioned missing the primer until after landing but it wasn't a factor.

Putting myself in his shoes with a bunch of time in that same aircraft type, I discounted the landing on the remaining crossing runway after watching the video and looking over the (unfamiliar to me) airport. It's not a great option.

If they crossed more near the center, it'd be perfect, but they merge too far south, so unless the engine had completely seized, you're committed on that departure.

200' isn't quite high enough to do the partial turn to runway 35 there yet either. Need another 150' if you're in practice, 250' if not, but you can keep your speed 0-10 above the stall in a steep turn without power while adding flaps. Pretty touchy. Nose has to come way down.

I think you're stuck with overflying the scrub (if you can) and into that field, just as we see here in the video, if you're not superman and look at available options for non-wild conservative performance maneuvering.

The way the engine sounded, I would have been worried about not making the field he made it into had the engine completely gone south. He did a fantastic job and handled the situation great. Its hard for me to tell the perspective of how much runway he has there, and I am not familiar with that area (never been there) so like I said its hard for me to say that.

The way the engine sounded, I would have been worried about not making the field he made it into had the engine completely gone south. He did a fantastic job and handled the situation great. Its hard for me to tell the perspective of how much runway he has there, and I am not familiar with that area (never been there) so like I said its hard for me to say that.

Ya know.... I have some pretty good speakers on my computer and I can barely hear the motor...

Powerful video. I'm surprised it hasn't gone a bit viral. Thanks for sharing it. Glad it all turned out OK.

Can I ask the setup you used to record that?

I had the same thought at first- looked do-able to get down safely on the airport property. Chop throttle, big slip, etc.
But I'm gonna guess the OP was thinking "it's still running, sort of... I may be able to climb, with other options ahead. Maybe I can fix this problem while it's still flying." Can't say I'd have not made the same call.

In any case, a very good job overall!! That landing was superb!:rockon:

Any updates yet? How's the bird? Firewall straight?

Did your underwear come clean? :)

Any updates yet? How's the bird? Firewall straight?

Did your underwear come clean? :)

Wings came off Monday and delivered to A&P 30 miles away. FAA was scheduled to come this morning, but no-show. Turns out there was a fatal crash in San Marcos. Obviously takes precedent.

A&P eyeballed engine, but can't do anything until Feds get there. No major indications. Turning prop has a healthy click with the mag coupler (says that indicates good compression).

He is thinking a bad mag or stuck valve. Stay tuned

BREAKING UPDATE: FAA got there after I left. Just got a call. 10 failing spark plugs. Last annual in late July and 35hrs.

Last edited:
BREAKING UPDATE: FAA got there after I left. Just got a call. 10 failing spark plugs. Last annual in late July and 35hrs. Our EX-A&P just may be in some trouble.

WTF? How can 10 independent plugs fail in unison? Were they all just recently out for service?

that seems like a lot of failing spark plugs

Mechanic I took it to said they look as if nothing has been done with them since new

Back