My Engine Broke During Takeoff - Suggestions?

write-stuff

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
write-stuff
Ok, there's my click-baity title. I had an engine failure during initial takeoff climb in my 1968 C-182L. I made it back to the airport but there is significant damage. The oil leaking from the rear of the crankcase makes me concerned that I won't be able to get any core credit for it. Haven't had a complete look at the lower section yet.

But regardless,

I've decided to put in a factory new engine. It's a Continental O-470-R. Any suggestions on where to purchase and any other options that I might not have thought about (other than rebuilding this engine).

Yikes! Glad everything worked out Russ. Any warning signs or just a sudden loss of power? How high were you when it decided to quit?

Don’t have any engine advice but I’d love to hear more details about this event. I’m really glad you made it back on the ground safely!!!

My A&P mentioned theres a relatively low cost upgrade for a few more horsepower, hopefully someone here can give the right name/price. I thought it was like another $6k for another 25hp or so? That's vs the way more expensive (and awesome) Texas Skyway conversion.

Too bad vintage 182s don't have a Lyco STC. S pricing is for the birds.

any other options
Haven't been involved in an engine purchase in years, but this is the path I used to follow. Regardless your initial intent, have your existing engine reviewed by your mechanic for possible repair/overhaul/rebuild. If not feasible, Airpower or factory direct were the next steps depending on customer preference and/or cost. Good job on getting yourself back in one piece.

Russ, I would also like to learn more if you wouldn't mind sharing. I fly a older 182 as well. Was there any obvious sound/vibration before the power loss? Was the power loss immediate? How many hours on the top end and bottom end? Had there been any maintenance recently. Was your landing at a towered airport? I hope it never happens to me yet anything you can share might help one of us out on another day.

Have you considered the PPonk or one of the other 520 options? Or even an IO-470? Now would be the time to look into those options.

Initial climb is definitely not the time most of us prefer such an event. Congratulations on a safe return to the airport!

IO-470 = 30 more HP, 12.5-13gph cruise, no carb ice

Except it's not that simple in a continental installation due to the continental FI requiring the installation of return lines and tanks, which the stock vintage 182s do not have. This blows up the $$$ of the job vice simply bolting a serviceable FI engine via simpleton swap STC. If it was a Bendix RSA injection (aka LYCO), then heck yeah that'd be the way to go since it's a simple installation by comparison.

As always, buy the thing already built the way you want it, because these days these 50+ year old contraptions are simply uneconomical to upgrade.

Several have asked about the details. We've been developing a seminar on loss of thrust emergencies for quite a while and expect to have this available in a couple of months.

Let me just say that any decision to turn back to the airport after a LOTOT event is complicated and should be briefed prior to takeoff. Too often people base this only on altitude and that is bad mojo. There are numerous factors that must be considered. The FAA has recently changed their stance on the "impossible turn" scenario (https://www.safepilots.org/2019/04/teaching-the-improbable-turn-is-now-faa-policy/) and CFIs are encouraged to demonstrate this to students. However, the AC waters down the subject and gives little guidance to instructors on how to do this. NAFI also did a recent webinar on the subject with Brian Schiff. The SAFE and NAFI webinars are both good starting points to learn details about this more-complicated-than-it-seems maneuver.

And actually, the maneuver itself isn't complicated (but does need to be practiced at altitude). The decision to apply it is where the complication comes in.

Last edited:
Maybe I read your last post wrong, but I take it to mean the impossible turn was not impossible...for your specific situation and your level of experience and practice.

IO-470 = 30 more HP, 12.5-13gph cruise, no carb ice
I think if you don't want 182 carb ice...and you have an extra $100k then get the Texas Skyway conversion.

I still can't find the mod my mechanic mentioned for the 0-470 but he sure liked it for price vs HP gain. Must just be over bored cylinders or something vs switch to IO, etc.

Maybe I read your last post wrong, but I take it to mean the impossible turn was not impossible...for your specific situation and your level of experience and practice.
I'd say yes, Sinistar. It depends on many factors. During a certain period in the profile (I call it the "tube") it is impossible. But at other points and under the proper conditions, it is completely possible. Rich Stowell has called it the "improbable turn" and that is probably as good as any moniker. Pilots have to understand the continuum to determine when it transitions from impossible, to improbable, to possible. But like any emergency procedure, it has to be studied and practiced. Knowledge and proficiency is the key.

Is it just 520 cylinders on a 470 case?

That's the basic concept. And some hardware to make it all fit together (+ the paperwork to make it legal).

Definitely something I would look into when faced with a 182 that lunched an engine. Have one of the shops that makes pponk engines build one from the existing carcass. Probably still more economical than an outright new engine from Conti.

Btw. 'factory reman' or 'new' doesn't guard against early engine issues. We just had a TSIO520 undergo a prop strike inspection at 860hrs. Needed all new valve guides and had a minor case crack that required work.

A new factory case will be about $5K, so add that to any overhaul estimates.

Tom

if your set on a factory engine, either new or re-man you really cant beat airpowers prices.

My A&P mentioned theres a relatively low cost upgrade for a few more horsepower, hopefully someone here can give the right name/price. I thought it was like another $6k for another 25hp or so? That's vs the way more expensive (and awesome) Texas Skyway conversion.

That would be the PPonk. O-470 with O-520 cylinders. I have it on mine, it's good so far.

How many hours on it so far? And did you supply the core for them to build it? What kind of cost?

I bought it with 80 hours on it, last February. About 450 on it now. So, unfortunately I don't know the answer to the second two questions! I hear it's only a couple of thousand more than the comparative normal overhaul.

Ok, there's my click-baity title. I had an engine failure during initial takeoff climb in my 1968 C-182L. I made it back to the airport but there is significant damage. The oil leaking from the rear of the crankcase makes me concerned that I won't be able to get any core credit for it. Haven't had a complete look at the lower section yet.

I'm happy to read that you returned safely. Having been through the same ordeal it's a rush of adrenaline and a busy number of seconds making the correct decisions. Glad you're here to share the story.

Texas Skyways convention to the O-470 250hp will also bump up the TBO to 2500, if that matters to you. Long term could save you a lot of money but short term it's not like just an overhaul.

My understanding is the Texas Skyways conversion also helps negate the carb icing problem of the stock 182 O-470 setup? I thought for some reason the Texas Skyways conversion was something more than 250HP and thus a significantly higher cost as well (like $100K).

They have several options. Some are more expensive than others.

Back