My dog wants to fly

pikespeakmtnman

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
n/a
We live under the approach path for Colorado Springs and adopted our rescue pup back in November. It didn't take long and whenever she's out in the backyard and a plane flies overhead she'll stop whatever she's doing and watch it till it's gone.

Guess I'll need to look for something with a backseat for her.

Attachments

• 20151101_144207[1].jpg
    20151101_144207[1].jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 122
  • 20151101_141117[1].jpg
    20151101_141117[1].jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 108
Took my dogs to Gaston's for the first time at Christmas. My pibble shivered for the first half of the ride, but Jake went and laid his head over her back and she calmed down

On the return as I was loading the plane, both dogs stood by the door ready to go. Piled in and slept most of the trip.

Dogs love to fly! I had a 5-pound Maltese that flew with me all over the country. We also have a 160-pound Newfoundland that my wife used to put in the back seat of her 172 for ballast when she was instructing. Slept thru the whole thing. Sadly, my Maltese is gone, and the Newfie can't make the hop into the a/c any more.

Jim

Last edited:
Heeler mix? Super cute.

No mix, all blue heeler

12651342_987357514633047_5062777294284326005_n.jpg

A friend had a black lab who loved flying so much that if someone left a door open on an airplane, and she wasn't paying attention, the dog would be inside waiting for the next flight.

I have another friend whose dog, who was named ironically Jeppesen, is absolutely scared to death to fly. They call him the "Chickenhound" now.

Took my dogs to Gaston's for the first time at Christmas. My pibble shivered for the first half of the ride, but Jake went and laid his head over her back and she calmed down

On the return as I was loading the plane, both dogs stood by the door ready to go. Piled in and slept most of the trip.

How is Gaston's for dogs? We have a Corgi and German Shorthair. Both are very friendly and fairly obedient.

I go to a campground frequently during the summer where I know most of the people there and other people have unleashed dogs. I put electronic collars on them and let them "mingle" They generally stay with the group and if they don't I vibrate their collars and they turn right around.

I wouldn't want to do that around folks that don't like dogs but it sure is a lot easier than dealing with a 60lb all muscle dog straining at the leash to sniff everything.

Just don't forget the tennis balls! By blue heeler would never settle for a stick you find laying around. And yes, please, more pictures!

How is Gaston's for dogs?.

It was good, but this was Christmas so there weren't too many people or dogs around. There were still a few tho. Everybody stayed on leash as requested and we had a good time. We'll definitely take them back.

Kiah, our dog, certainly does settle for sticks (or pine cones or pieces or bark, or really any chunk of wood), tennis balls and frisbees bore her after a short while...we're working on it though. She doesn't play fetch too well yet, it's more like keep-away.

This is our second blue heeler (our last one made it 14 years!) but she's a handful, we call her The Monster.

Attachments

• 20160117_091057[1].jpg
    20160117_091057[1].jpg
    521.8 KB · Views: 12
  • 20151123_213426[1].jpg
    20151123_213426[1].jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 12
Dogs love to fly! I had a 5-pound Maltese that flew with me all over the country. We also have a 160-pound Newfoundland that my wife used to put in the back seat of her 172 for ballast when she was instructing. Slept thru the whole thing. Sadly, my Maltese is gone, and the Newfie can't make the hop into the a/c any more.

Jim

Make a dog ramp. You'll use it for more than the airplane.

Or buy one from a pet store.

Kiah, our dog, certainly does settle for sticks (or pine cones or pieces or bark, or really any chunk of wood), tennis balls and frisbees bore her after a short while...we're working on it though. She doesn't play fetch too well yet, it's more like keep-away.

This is our second blue heeler (our last one made it 14 years!) but she's a handful, we call her The Monster.

that's a happy, happy face!

Had to post this one. Archer at about 7 weeks old. Looks like he knows where he wants to be.

Attachments

• Archer_up.jpg
    Archer_up.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 20
Last edited:
Back