My daughter's first flight in Piper J3 Cub (video)

iWantWings

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
wingsIwant
I finally got to take my daughter for a flight in the school's 1946 J3 Cub; the bribe was something like $20. Ha!

Ceiling was broken at 2,400 so we stayed in the pattern - she enjoyed it nonetheless. Here's a condensed 5 minute video of the 45 minute flight getting dizzy in the pattern. (yeah, so it's for an audience who's not all into aviation and it's got the music thing going, but I kept some of the ambient sound in some parts of the video)

https://youtu.be/VTzJDFMemQw

edit: P.S. I mounted the gopro to her left, on the instrument panel, and because of the close proximity and 170* view, she (and other things) look a litte distorted (but it does help make my landings look a little less worse than they were)

Last edited:
That's awesome! I still giggle and grin like that when I takeoff in a Cub! :yes:

:thumbsup:

Fun video and great reactions from your daughter. This is real flying, not any of that button pushing, knob turning screen watching stuff. Cute girl too.

That was one for the ages! Thanks for the post.

Brilliant, brought back happy memories of the first time I took my granddaughter on her first GA flight

Well done! She will remember this flight for the rest of her life.
The earliest memory in my head is of my Dad, putting me on a pile of parachutes so I could see out of a P-11 (on floats) for my first ever ride.

Great video. Q: Weren't you even the slightest bit worried she'd drop that iPhone out the window?

That was Awesome, Man!

She's having way too much fun,another pilot in the making,nice video,Thanks.

Great video. Your Daughters reaction was priceless. You are a very lucky man. :yesnod:

haha thats awesome. Jealous of flying around with the door/window open, that looks like a lot of fun. The last scene, pushing it into the hangar and closing the door reminded me of when I was her age, helping my dad put the plane away too. These will be good memories!

Wonderful- the first minuet or so was priceless

Many thanks + Congrats

Outstanding........ :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

I hope the video goes viral and you guys make some money off of it.. Will help pay for the girls collage education...

Outstanding........ :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

I hope the video goes viral and you guys make some money off of it.. Will help pay for the girls collage education...

LOL, that's funny... good thinking there. Nah, I don't have the social media footprint: no face book, no twitter, and whatever else is there (but I do have youtube, obviously). I'm really glad you enjoyed the video.

I'll use your post to thank you and everyone else for their kind replies.

I would reply to every post but soon i'll be away. I try to record certain flights, for memories' sake. Kids will grow up and this will help kindle their memories. No clue what the future will hold so we do our best.

To say thanks, I'll post another video: not long ago my wife agreed to let me take all 3 kids (yup, that'd be all of the offsprings) for a short flight. That's never happened before, not all 3... sounds pretty nutty to put all your eggs in one basket, but I thought it out - for the most part.

As luck would have it, the storage media on the gopro could not be read by the device, so I was not going to record any video. But then I asked my wife to film with her phone from the ground, and my daughter, with her phone from inside the plane. Added it all together, slap some music (that my wife liked) and voila, i've got a family video clip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8JjEi1x5rg

Thanks to all again

Last edited:
Back