My CFII Failed 4 Check Rides... Should I get a new one?

When it comes to "buying" an instructor's time, I want the best instructor with the most experience even if its cost me a bit more. If I have any doubts about his/her skill as a pilot or teacher I'm off to find a replacement. It's your money and your being taught skills that are directly related to your safety and that of your passengers. To do otherwise is just ridiculous. I'm not worried about the instructor's feelings being hurt as changing up instructors is very common. Ask any pilot how many instructors they had on their way to their PPC and more often that not it'll be more than one.

When it comes to "buying" an instructor's time, I want the best instructor with the most experience even if its cost me a bit more. If I have any doubts about his/her skill as a pilot or teacher I'm off to find a replacement. It's your money and your being taught skills that are directly related to your safety and that of your passengers. To do otherwise is just ridiculous. I'm not worried about the instructor's feelings being hurt as changing up instructors is very common. Ask any pilot how many instructors they had on their way to their PPC and more often that not it'll be more than one.

Serious question here: As a new student, how do you evaluate the piloting skills of an instructor? Teaching is hopefully something you can tell because you've learned other things and have background for it.

Serious question here: As a new student, how do you evaluate the piloting skills of an instructor? Teaching is hopefully something you can tell because you've learned other things and have background for it.

To begin, how long have they been instructing? Generally, the more hours and experience usually results in better instruction, but not always. You can ask around the airport about the instructors and if the same name keeps coming up then you're onto something. When you're in the cockpit do you feel comfortable with them? Are they clear and confident when explaining things? When they handle the controls are they smooth when they demonstrate maneuvers? What do other students say about his ability to teach?
I know it can be difficult to choose an instructor when starting out, but you can do it. Also, decide to try more than one instructor initially because chances are you'll find one that is a good fit rather than just staying with the first one you're assigned.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back