My cat just ate a hair tie!

pookies

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
pookies
One of those plain round black elastic kind (no metal band). I try to keep them away from him. I have had to pry a few out of his mouth. This time, I didn't make it in time. I'm worried about my kitty. What are the chances of this becoming a blockage? :frown3:

Paging Dr Dave Taylor....

If you can get into the vet before it passes beyond the stomach, they can induce vomiting and you won't have to worry about it. Ie a few hours. Might be worth a trip and the expense of a ER vet visit. That is how I would handle it, others may handle it differently.
Some may see this as overkill as many such items will pass without trouble...however there is always that chance.
Most troublesome items are linear foreign bodies such as string, yarn, tinsel. However any non-digestible item has the potential to cause an obstruction.

It's been about and hour and a half. Will inducing vomiting now be of any help? I know how to induce vomiting with peroxide.

Great news! Took the kitty out for a drive and that did it! That cat gets so carsick very easily. Was in the car less than 5 min and he was throwing up.

I thought about inducing right after, but was afraid that maybe he would get it obstructed in its throat.

Good deal, stuff like that is not good. I used to get calls from our vet when his wife would be out of town (she handled small animals, he large) for assistance since he knew I don't get sick and can stitch (he had developed palsy). I got called to help with a dog that was down. Turns out he ate a pair of nylons. That was not a pretty thing and ended up in a bowel resection.

Very clever solution... :rofl:
It's weird about animals eating non-food objects: sometimes it can be a serious problem, but not always: when I was a kid, the family dog once ate a huge dried starfish; every speck of it... she threw up a little, and the vet just put her on a spaghetti diet for a week or so and she was fine.

Then there was my aunt's cat, who as a kitten started gnawing on some thread that was laying around, and ended up swallowing a needle tied to said thread and actually passing it out the other end the next day with no ill effects (confirmed by the vet). She had noticed the little guy was trailing some thread... gently pulled it, thinking it was just stuck there, and out comes a needle...:yikes:

I've never heard "car sick" and "good" in the same sentence before, but I'm glad your kitty is alright. :)

Great news! Took the kitty out for a drive and that did it! That cat gets so carsick very easily. Was in the car less than 5 min and he was throwing up.

I thought about inducing right after, but was afraid that maybe he would get it obstructed in its throat.

Ok, never getting into a car with you. You must drive like a maniac AND you let your cat throw up in your car. :yikes:

Glad to hear the cat is okay (aside from the obvious 'ugh, i just puked' feeling I'm sure he's got)!

My boy dog ate a bandana once. It passed OK, and in one piece. Had to pull it out the other end though. Ewww. The things we do for our pets.

My boy dog ate a bandana once. It passed OK, and in one piece. Had to pull it out the other end though. Ewww. The things we do for our pets.

Frozen Corn Dog - with the stick.

The stick passed.

I assume you don't want the details...

Jeez, the stick passed! Must be a big dog... how can something like that make the bends of the intestines - guess they just straighten out as it goes along... weird -
glad all ya'll pets are OK..

My corgie swallowed an avocado pit once whole - just gulped it down. She was such a pig.

Ok, never getting into a car with you. You must drive like a maniac AND you let your cat throw up in your car. :yikes:

Glad to hear the cat is okay (aside from the obvious 'ugh, i just puked' feeling I'm sure he's got)!

Pet caddy and I drove all the way down the street I live on. Stop sign of every corner, 15 in all.

I'm not sure if my cat actually gets car sick. He just doesn't like being in a car and scream meows until he trows up. I guess its the same thing like a kid trowing up from having a melt down.

Walking garbage can. That's what our first Golden Retriever was back in the 50s and 60s. Banana peel (once). Watermelon rind (snatched from my brother's hand). Apple cores (many). Rubber tires off toys. Pint of oil from the car (stomach ache, but otherwise OK). Had ulcers, but they had healed before she died of old age. That dog would eat anything.

And, then, she was gun shy and didn't know what a pheasant was. Oh well... :D

I once had a cat that regularly ate rubber bands. Something about the rubber makes cats want to eat them.

Quick fix. I tell my cats they are one step away from the Chinese restaurant. Any problems guys? No? Didn't think so. Carry on.....

My own cat ingested several pounds of tea towels, hand towels, facecloths, blanket segments during her maladjusted kittenhood. She has settled down since (and the surgery scar is no longer visible!).

Just think if she'd taken the cat FLYING... what the result would have been... :yikes:

I used to have a cat that would ride in my Midget Mustang with me, he was totally mellow. First time I didn't know he was sleeping in the back when I took off, about 15 minutes later I feel him climb on my shoulder (kinda freaked me out for a moment) and he transferred himself to my lap. He got a little displaced by the stick on the landing flare, but didn't much seem to care.

Derek says "Thank you for making me throw up!" ^_^

derek1.jpg

derek2.jpg

I used to have a cat that would ride in my Midget Mustang with me, he was totally mellow. First time I didn't know he was sleeping in the back when I took off, about 15 minutes later I feel him climb on my shoulder (kinda freaked me out for a moment) and he transferred himself to my lap. He got a little displaced by the stick on the landing flare, but didn't much seem to care.

On one of my rescue missions we had a kitten. Against my better judgement, I allowed them to load the kitten in a carboard box like they use for bringing them home from the pet store. Well, anyone who has/had a cat knows how long those last.

About halfway through the flight my co-pilot let out a yelp when he felt a paw on his shoulder. Not something you expect. Anyway, the kitten made a good passenger for the rest of the flight up front.

Walking garbage can. That's what our first Golden Retriever was back in the 50s and 60s. Banana peel (once). Watermelon rind (snatched from my brother's hand). Apple cores (many). Rubber tires off toys. Pint of oil from the car (stomach ache, but otherwise OK). Had ulcers, but they had healed before she died of old age. That dog would eat anything.

And, then, she was gun shy and didn't know what a pheasant was. Oh well... :D

What is it with Goldens and the iron gut? Ours ate a box of 64 Crayolas (which made for pretty interesting yard art), a big wad of aluminum foil, the occasional Lego and a Salvo laundry detergent tablet.

What is it with Goldens and the iron gut? Ours ate a box of 64 Crayolas (which made for pretty interesting yard art), a big wad of aluminum foil, the occasional Lego and a Salvo laundry detergent tablet.

When the kids were little, crayon eating was a common occurance. The yard looked best when the dogs (collie and a black lab) got some of the glitter crayons...

The lab would also grab a loaf of bread off the counter if it was near the edge and no one was around. Dog farts are bad. Dog that ate a whole loaf of bread farts are worse. Way worse.

When the kids were little, crayon eating was a common occurance. The yard looked best when the dogs (collie and a black lab) got some of the glitter crayons...

The lab would also grab a loaf of bread off the counter if it was near the edge and no one was around. Dog farts are bad. Dog that ate a whole loaf of bread farts are worse. Way worse.

I forgot to mention the time she licked the frosting off a cake my Mom had just baked and frosted. Didn't touch the cake (amazing), but got all the frosting. And it was on the counter. That dog lived to eat.

Then there was the time she got loose in the veterinary clinic at WSU. When I found her she was in the kitchen where all the animals' meals were prepared with her head buried in a 50 pound bag of kibble. We don't know how much she ate, but when we got home she gave Mom the act that she hadn't eaten in a week and was starved.

I wish my dogs had cast iron stomachs, I really do. They're constantly puking up bits of dark colored goo on my used-to-be-but-no-longer-is white carpet.

I wish my dogs had cast iron stomachs, I really do. They're constantly puking up bits of dark colored goo on my used-to-be-but-no-longer-is white carpet.

Me, to carpet salesperson, when building new house: "Do you have a berber in the color of.....cat puke?"

we had a dalmation how ate a bunch of carpet once. that was not pleasant when one day after i let it out to crap in the morning it came back in with string hanging out.

this reminded me of grumpy old men when the old guy says if your kid eats a quarter and craps out two dimes and a nickel, then you should worry.

and cats are plotting to kill you only if they are breathing.

Me, to carpet salesperson, when building new house: "Do you have a berber in the color of.....cat puke?"
When I bought a new house I made sure to get carpet the same color as the dirt outside...

When I finally get rid of the carpet in my house, it will be replaced with wood. Much, much easier.

When I finally get rid of the carpet in my house, it will be replaced with wood. Much, much easier.
Carpet hides the dust and dirt much better. :D

I know the new thing is to go to wood or laminate floors but I wonder how well they hold up, as far as scratches are concerned, especially if you have an animal. My carpeting is the original (17 years old) and is not close to being ready to replace yet. I had a dog here originally for about 5 years, and then cats.

Carpet hides the dust and dirt much better. :D

I know the new thing is to go to wood or laminate floors but I wonder how well they hold up, as far as scratches are concerned, especially if you have an animal. My carpeting is the original (17 years old) and is not close to being ready to replace yet. I had a dog here originally for about 5 years, and then cats.

There's a reason everyone covered up their hardwood floors with carpet back in the '60s...

I forgot to mention the time she licked the frosting off a cake my Mom had just baked and frosted. Didn't touch the cake (amazing), but got all the frosting. And it was on the counter. That dog lived to eat.

Then there was the time she got loose in the veterinary clinic at WSU. When I found her she was in the kitchen where all the animals' meals were prepared with her head buried in a 50 pound bag of kibble. We don't know how much she ate, but when we got home she gave Mom the act that she hadn't eaten in a week and was starved.

At a friend's home many years ago, her roommate's Lab was found neck deep in the foie gras on the table. hahaha

Our upstairs hardwood has worn horribly. So has the carpet, but only because its white. Very elegant, but hard to live with. Was there when we bought the place and is leaving soon.

Last edited:
Back