My Bad

Both runways were lit up. Pure brainfart on my behalf... I deserve the yelling. Bet next I will check the runway heading 5 times while I am on final, but whats done is done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Maybe not 5 times but you get the point. Forget the negative feeling of embarassment - you HAVE TO file this as the positive learning experience that it is.

Thank you for sharing so honestly. All of us are still learning and sometimes need reminders.

Congratulations on passing your checkride.

People talk up the "get out of jail free" aspect of ASRS but that isn't its real stated purpose. NASA data mines the reports in an effort to determine what can be done to improve safety, and they collect some of the highlights into the excellent ASRS Callback (http://asrs.arc.nasa.gov/publications/callback.html) so all of us can learn from the anonymous mistakes others have already made. So if something happened which caused a safety situation just file the ASRS report. It sounds like there are several notably factors in your situation like fatigue, the night conditions, excitement about first passenger. Your ASRS report might help another student pilot avoid the same mistake.

As others have said, nothing you did was illegal so there is no way you can get into trouble. Use this as a lesson to check that DG (or use gps/navaids if need be) against where you think you are. We've all done stupid stuff with airplanes, so just use this as an opportunity to better yourself.

I think this thread gave me the best reason to buy a go-pro camera.

a video of the rant would be a great way to back this guy up.

Wrong freq? Volume down in cruise to converse with Dad?

I'm a victim (well, victim of myself) of the volume thing. Did a T&G at SDM without a clearance at my 80'ish hour mark. Made wonderful CTAF calls. Would have made my CFI proud.

On upwind I noticed a jet taking the runway and thought..."why wouldn't a jet self announce on the CTAF?" That's when I looked at the volume knob. Glup...

Turned it up to hear, "Cessna in the traffic pattern, you are NOT authorized to do touch and go's with a comm failure!!!!"

I must have said 'sorry' a million times and made a B-line to my home field. Nothing came of it... Point is, I think you're fine.

You did nothing wrong. NOT A THING!
You did not hear him - and VERY likely it was his fault.

At an uncontrolled airport you can say anything you like - hell, recite the Ride of Paul Revere - and do something else (not recommended, but not some legal violation.

Lastly, HE verly likely is not legal to be transmitting from his hand held - FAA regulations are widely ignored, but an attorney could make it hot for the airport with a formal complaint to the FCC. You cannot just buy a radio and start playing junior controller. (this is your biggest hammer if they want to get into a pizzin contest)

Do tell the airport manager that you and your attorney are not thrilled with his rent-a-cop. Unless the security dog is a certified ATC Controller operating during published hours, he needs to attend to perimeter security, period, and keep his thumb off the transmit button.

At an uncontrolled airport you can say anything you like - hell, recite the Ride of Paul Revere - and do something else (not recommended, but not some legal violation.

Lastly, HE verly likely is not legal to be transmitting from his hand held - FAA regulations are widely ignored, but an attorney could make it hot for the airport with a formal complaint to the FCC. You cannot just buy a radio and start playing junior controller. (this is your biggest hammer if they want to get into a pizzin contest)

Do tell the airport manager that you and your attorney are not thrilled with his rent-a-cop. Unless the security dog is a certified ATC Controller operating during published hours, he needs to attend to perimeter security, period, and keep his thumb off the transmit button.
Absolutely right.

???

Don't really understand that statement.

If I catch myself speeding, but don't get pulled over, I don't go find the first patrolmen I see and apologize.

If the OP did something he is concerned with getting in trouble for, it wouldn't be a smart course of action to go identify yourself.

He should file the ASRS form and move on.

BQmassey, the OP does not know enough yet to know when to be concerned, thus his post here.
Flyboy, what Dr. O said and Aunt Peggy said, end of story. No reports, don't go to jail, no appologies. It is called learning, so learn and go forth. I doubt you will ever land on the wrong runway again.

BQmassey, the OP does not know enough yet to know when to be concerned, thus his post here.

I know, my point is that if a pilot is concerned that he did something wrong, willfully contacting ATC after the fact is not a good idea.

Yup....sounds like what you got there is your run of the mill airport nazi.

Also known as Sherif Buford T. Justice in the southern parts.

Barney Fife ... and tell him to keep his bullet in his shirt pocket:lol:

To the OP: That was an excellent demonstration of your landing skills diverting to another runway due to FOD/critter on the intended runway.

Both runways were lit up. Pure brainfart on my behalf... I deserve the yelling. Bet next I will check the runway heading 5 times while I am on final, but whats done is done.

That was a fine piece of piloting, switching runways at the last minute to avoid the potentially hazardous flock of birds that had landed on your originally selected runway. Remaining primed for the unexpected like that is important to aviation safety. Good job! :yes:

The tower wasn't operating and doesn't care. Calling them will only bug them and waste their time.

As we know, this situation isn't that serious, and there is almost certainly nobody from the FAA investigating it and looking for the pilot.

However, if you have a reason to believe that you did make a serious mistake, as the pilot believed he did, willfully contacting ATC to admit and apologize will do more harm than good, if it does anything at all.

As the others said, not a huge issue. Although I'd probably track down the airport manager and have a word about the rent-a-cop illegally trying to play ATC.

As for mixing up the runways, someone I know (cough, cough, ahem) once arrived at an unfamiliar untowered field at night, after a day of flying, and proceeded to fly an entire pattern for 28, while announcing for 25. (The airport had both runways.) I...errrr, he, finally realized on short final that brain and mouth were not entirely connected. And that took place with another pilot in the right seat!

There are some similarities with your story: fatigue, night flight. Pay heed to those issues, because they do increase the risk of making mistakes.

Don't forget that the security guy could have a problem too. Fried transmitter, mouth too far from the mic, batteries drained, etc.

... Brain dead. Thinks CTAF announcements are required. Enormous ego. Or just plain crazy. :)

exactly. In class E, you don't even need to have a radio to fly there. Be professional but don't put up with asinine behavior.

Without debating the wisdom of said flight, what would be illegal about flying with a passenger at night? He passed his checkride, right?? I'm genuinely curious.

Potentially, currrency. 3 takeoffs and landings to a full stop 1 hour after sunset to 1 hour before sunrise in the last 90 days.

Basically your word against his, you announced correctly he mis-understood. Unless you wanted to check for a unicom recording on the internet I wouldn't worry about it.

Basically your word against his, you announced correctly he mis-understood. Unless you wanted to check for a unicom recording on the internet I wouldn't worry about it.

It's not even that.

There is nothing illegal about making a wrong announcement at a nontowered airport. People do it all the time.

Want to play dirty and take away Barney Fife's radio?

Ask if the airport currently holds appropriate mobile radio licenses for the airport vehicles from the FCC.

Most don't. They have a fixed station license for the radio inside the FBO sitting on the counter.

Then they can decide if it's worth paying for the privilege of Barney talking on the Aeronautical Band.

(You can actually look all of the above up in the FCC online database.)

It's fun to pit government bureaucracy against pseudo-government. Might as well get some entertainment value from your tax dollar.

There's nothing illegal about gliding over a Nuke either but it didn't stop Barney from acting foolishly.

Chances are this guy isn't going to say anything because he has no proof other than his own story (I don't think we have heard anymore from the OP have we) but you just never know.

I think he's been sent to the local prison for a runway infraction.

LOL

Nope still around ;) Not in prison yet !!!

I did file ASRS form and put it to bed. I am still not sure if he was security or operations, which is most likely, but its been 3 days since this event and I have not heard anything from the airport.... I guess this story has a happy ending ;)

Thank you all for your support! I can definitely feel the "one for all and all for one" :)

Want to play dirty and take away Barney Fife's radio?

Ask if the airport currently holds appropriate mobile radio licenses for the airport vehicles from the FCC.

Most don't. They have a fixed station license for the radio inside the FBO sitting on the counter.

Then they can decide if it's worth paying for the privilege of Barney talking on the Aeronautical Band.

(You can actually look all of the above up in the FCC online database.)

It's fun to pit government bureaucracy against pseudo-government. Might as well get some entertainment value from your tax dollar.
What Nate said. Even if the radio is licensed, I can't think of a valid reason for Barney to be transmitting unless he was aware of some runway obstruction, or had some other urgent need to contact you. And, barring that, there's really no reason for you to have responded even if you'd heard him. He's not ATC or another aircraft - so nothing he says obligates you to listen, let alone respond. If you were the only airplane around, he's got no reason to do anything but shut up and watch the pretty airplane.

LOL

Nope still around ;) Not in prison yet !!!

I did file ASRS form and put it to bed. I am still not sure if he was security or operations, which is most likely, but its been 3 days since this event and I have not heard anything from the airport.... I guess this story has a happy ending ;)

Thank you all for your support! I can definitely feel the "one for all and all for one" :)

Excellent, now don't worry about this guy again and go flying!

Congrats on the check ride! I agree with Ben.

Congrats on the checkride! I agree with the others, Barney was way out of line:yes:

I wonder if he was the same guy that came up to me a couple of months ago, at Republic.

As I was securing the plane, two guys drove up and said "Tracon was looking for you, they wanted to know if you landed ok. Did you forget to close your flight plan?"

I said ...no, I didn't file one. I was on FF and the controller handed me off to the Tower.
They said "oh, ok no problem". and drove away.

That was strange, I've never been approached by anyone before. I thought I was about to get ramp checked:lol:.

In fairness, they were probably just doing their job....in this case.

Last edited:
The guys at FRG are all pretty good. For those not familiar, aven after tower closes, it is a very busy airport with corporate jets up to 737.

As far as contacting anyone, I would leave it alone. If they have questions, they know who you are and how to contact you.

This happens at FRG every fews months. Actually last fall some guy took off around 10:40 when tower was still open without talking to tower. He said he was announcing on CTAF but didn't here tower. For those of you who don't know CTAF and TWR are on the same frequency at FRG. I think this dude was a recent PPL and think he's still around.

It must have been the operations guys because I don't think we have a separate security department. Just operations. They were probably annoyed because they often run up and down the runways at night to check the condition and such around the airport. Didn't want to have an incident with you. They take down tail numbers as they have to do a shift report each night. Probably mentioned it in the report. They do this if there is a plane with a flat tire and many other trivial things.

As most others summed up it shouldn't be a big deal as they are technically not an authority in that sense and you essentially did nothing wrong as far as the FAR's are concerned.

Where you flying N521MA?

This happens at FRG every fews months. Actually last fall some guy took off around 10:40 when tower was still open without talking to tower. He said he was announcing on CTAF but didn't here tower. For those of you who don't know CTAF and TWR are on the same frequency at FRG. I think this dude was a recent PPL and think he's still around.

It must have been the operations guys because I don't think we have a separate security department. Just operations. They were probably annoyed because they often run up and down the runways at night to check the condition and such around the airport. Didn't want to have an incident with you. They take down tail numbers as they have to do a shift report each night. Probably mentioned it in the report. They do this if there is a plane with a flat tire and many other trivial things.

As most others summed up it shouldn't be a big deal as they are technically not an authority in that sense and you essentially did nothing wrong as far as the FAR's are concerned.

Where you flying N521MA?

Thank you. Makes sense. I am at KFRG. Got my PPL with NFI - best school around!

Back