my baby has new duds

judypilot

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Judy Parrish
I guess I decided I hadn't spent enough money on my airplane with the panel upgrade, so I just got my baby painted. It took 8 looooong weeks, but I picked her up Saturday. She's a 1958 C182A and had a really unique paint scheme, but the paint was showing all of its 49 years. I just had to restore it. The only thing that is not original is the tail number. Back then, they were tiny letters on the vertical stabilizer, but I live close enough to the border, and have enough reason to go into Canada that I wanted to go with the 12" numbers. So the paint guy and I spent quite a lot of time discussing what to do, and we hit a scheme that I think looks great (the colors for the numbers were my idea, the slant his).

I hope I can do this--I've never entered a picture before, but here are the before and after pictures.

Judy

Attachments

• sideviewsm.jpg
    sideviewsm.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_1876.JPG
    IMG_1876.JPG
    94.6 KB · Views: 96
Beautiful! But isn't the owner supposed to be pictured with the plane?

HR

Nice. Now you'll have to fly more to show her off!

Looks great Judy!! Congratulations. What did you do for 8 weeks while you couldn't fly?

Love the colors - plane looks great! :)

Ok, so now I get to show off my green-as-grass ignorance -

I've never seen elevators on the front of the h.s. before! Is that common?? Or was it common??

Judy the plane looks great!
Two questions

1) In the before photo the tail looks really low and the nose high in the After photo the plane looks level. Was it loadeddown in the first or is it just an optical illusion?

2) When you file what colors do you give them? Turqouise and Peach? LOL and what is the reaction of the FSS briefer?

Ok thats really three questions.

Judy, great paint job! I do wonder as well... what letters do you place on the flight plan? T/P/W ? :)

That's definitely a set of colors only a woman would pick. ;)

I've never seen elevators on the front of the h.s. before! Is that common?? Or was it common??

Huh??? :confused: Which pic you looking at?

You're misinterpreting the picture. On some airplanes, the elevator has a "horn" on each side that extends forward outside of the horizontal stabilizer. This is done to give the elevator better balance.

Nice, Judy, but you ARE allowed to get a completely new color scheme. :D

I had my number slanted, too, with the top going toward the tail on both sides. With the airflow paint scheme I wanted it to look like the numbers were in danger of being blown off!

Looks great, Judy. I'm a fan of keeping older airplanes in their original schemes. When it comes time for my Bonanza to be repainted we'll party like it's 1959! :yes:

I found a factory photo of a '58 182A. Different colors, but same scheme.

-- Pilawt

Attachments

• cessna_182a.jpg
    cessna_182a.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 32
You're misinterpreting the picture. On some airplanes, the elevator has a "horn" on each side that extends forward outside of the horizontal stabilizer. This is done to give the elevator better balance.
YES!!

Thanks - I never would have broken loose of that optical illusion!! :)

Beautiful! But isn't the owner supposed to be pictured with the plane?

HR

Kind of hard to take the picture and be in it at the same time. The paint guy was off doing my invoice.

Judy

Looks great Judy!! Congratulations. What did you do for 8 weeks while you couldn't fly?

Cried a lot. Gritted my teeth. Bought a new bicycle. Painted a shed. Counted the days until I step down as dean. Almost came down with shingles. Was instructed by quickcare doc to see my doc about my blood pressure. Bit wood. Kicked dogs. Froze my husband out.

You know, all the usual stuff you do when you can't fly.

Judy

Judy the plane looks great!
Two questions

1) In the before photo the tail looks really low and the nose high in the After photo the plane looks level. Was it loadeddown in the first or is it just an optical illusion?

2) When you file what colors do you give them? Turqouise and Peach? LOL and what is the reaction of the FSS briefer?

Ok thats really three questions.

1) I had a nose strut gasket that was going bad when the first picture was taken and it would remain overextended when I landed and sometimes wouldn't drop until I started the engine the next time. Second picture is normal.

2) I tell them pink and green. They can't handle coral and turquoise and really can't handle three colors. 2% of the time, there is no reaction. The rest of the time I get "pink and green, huh? that's unusual" or words to that effect.

I had it painted in BC, and when I landed at Spokane to clear Customs, the light was low in the west and it must have been really glowing. The ground controller started going on about how I will have no problem being visible, and I told him I'd just had it painted. He liked it.

Judy

Nice, Judy, but you ARE allowed to get a completely new color scheme. :D

Oh no I'm not. I have several pilot friends who would have drawn and quartered me if I'd changed it! I value my life.

Judy

That's definitely a set of colors only a woman would pick. ;)

So far as I can determine, the first owner of the airplane was male. So I didn't pick the colors. He did. I just restored them. :blowingkisses:

Judy

So far as I can determine, the first owner of the airplane was male. So I didn't pick the colors. He did. I just restored them. :blowingkisses:

Judy

And that is way cool. As a miami-born former beach bum, I love the Art-Deco look. Oddly, those pastels "work" as well in the southwest as well as on South Beach.

Beautiful Judy. Very nice.

Looks good. Just more appropriate for Arizona than Idaho. Like the before and after photos to show what you did.

Back