My Airventure Misadventure

bcool

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Bud
Well, my trip to Oshkosh was a bust :(, although in hindsight it could have been worse :yikes:

My wife & I flew to Madison, WI (KMSN) on Friday night, to overnight prior to heading to Oshkosh this morning.

Got an IFR reservation since KOSH was forecasting an early fog, got up at 4:30 to get to the airport and meet a buddy of mine who lives in Madison and was going to go with us, combining his first trip to Airventure with his first flight in a GA plane.

Took off from Madison, and was cleared to 5,000'. As we were climbing, I noticed a burning oil smell. Since we occasionally smell that when we start a flight due to oil spillage when refilling (it's a rental Turbo Arrow), I wasn't too concerned. However, it didn't quickly clear up like usual, so I started to ponder what might be going on. Then, I looked at the engine monitor which is on the lower right panel and I noticed what appeared to be a cloud of gray smoke :yikes: A quick glance at the oil pressure gauge showed a normal reading.

I got on the horn to Departure and said, uh, we've got smoke in the cockpit and need to return to the field. The controller said "you're cleared to any runway you need" and (I believe) told the other traffic to hold. He also said they were going to send out the emergency equipment.

I made a 180 and saw the field about a mile or so behind us. I pulled back to idle and started a descent. I was too high to make a straight-in back to the runway I just took off on, so I did a left base to another crossing runway. After dropping the gear and flaps I made it down and made a decent landing. On the way down I noticed the smoke had cleared up and the smell wasn't as noticeable, so I wasn't terribly worried at that point (famous last words).

Once we touched down I asked if I should taxi back to Wisconsin Aviation, and the controller said to go ahead if I thought I could. As we were heading back I noticed the fire trucks heading our way. We shut down and got out, and after everybody looked things over it was decided we weren't on fire :yes: We did notice that the front tire was coated with oil and a few drips were coming out from the nose gear well.

We had to wait about 1/2 hour for the Wisconsin Aviation mechanic to get in to work, and when he did he pulled the cowl, took a look, and said it looked like the gasket used to connect the vacuum pump to the engine had failed and oil was escaping from there. He checked his inventory and said he'd have to wait until Monday or Tuesday to get the gasket.

Bummer - so much for flying to Oshkosh! We toyed with the idea of driving there, but by the time we did and found a parking spot, the day would be half over so we just resigned ourselves to the fact that things could have been a whole lot worse :)

When I called the owner of the flying club we rented the plane from, he offered to fly there and bring us home in his Mooney. So, we waited a couple of hours for him to get there from St Louis and we flew back home with him. We paid for his fuel both ways to help offset his costs.

Now, he's going to have to return next week with another pilot and ferry it back. For once, I'm happy to be a renter ;)

Bummer! But, hey....you got a new flying story out of the deal. That's worth something!

Glad you're ok, sounds like you did the right thing.

Sorry to hear about your lost trip.

But to parallel another thread, I am shocked, shocked i tell you, to hear that such a thing could happen in a rental aircraft maintained exclusively by professionals, while owner-flown airplanes by the thousands arrived safely despite having rank amateurs put air into the tires before departing.

Sorry for the lost trip,that's aviation,when you want the plane most,is when something will go wrong.

I would have made a gasket and been back in the air in an hour. :dunno:

Dang, you can pull a vacuum pump, make a gasket, re-install and be back up that quick?

Some of them have a nut on the back underside that is a ***** to get at without a special tool or a lot of luck even if you're a mechanic.

I want you around next time I ever break down! :yesnod:

You did good. Don't let this turn you off onto flying into AirVenture. You just have to do it X number of times. You won't always have X number of good experiences, but it should be close.:goofy:

But to parallel another thread, I am shocked, shocked i tell you, to hear that such a thing could happen in a rental aircraft maintained exclusively by professionals, while owner-flown airplanes by the thousands arrived safely despite having rank amateurs put air into the tires before departing.
Unfortunately, they didn't all make it: http://www.abcfoxmontana.com/story/26134927/two-bear-air-helped-find-plane-crash-in-minutes
So, the OP did good. Lucky he was close to an airport, not beyond gliding distance from land and in daylight.

From some of the comments in this thread though, it just proves you don't want to ever get caught standing between a DIYer and his toolbox when something breaks.

dtuuri

Under the circumstances dealt you did just great. I wouldn't give it another thought. I think I would of tried to thumb a ride or some other way to Airventure. There's always next year though.

Glad that you made it back and landed safely. Bummer about having this nix your trip to OSH. You made the right safe decision.

Unfortunately, they didn't all make it: http://www.abcfoxmontana.com/story/26134927/two-bear-air-helped-find-plane-crash-in-minutes
So, the OP did good. Lucky he was close to an airport, not beyond gliding distance from land and in daylight.

From some of the comments in this thread though, it just proves you don't want to ever get caught standing between a DIYer and his toolbox when something breaks.

dtuuri
forget the DIY'er, in this case why couldn't the licensed and educated A&P make a gasket from commonly available gasket material that he sure has in his shop ? I suspect he simply couldn't be bothered.

Glad you made it back OK...

"I would rather be on the ground wishing I was in the air, then in the air wishing I was back on the ground"

You can always find some bizarre sob story. If changing a gasket is too much is say its time to hang it up.

The shop he was forced to use is a large corporate entity that probably has a "Risk Manager" on the payroll. Any of the A&Ps could have made a suitable gasket -- but their boss wouldn't let them.

Reason #132 not to use a large, corporate repair station. Not that the OP had any choice.

You can always find some bizarre sob story. If changing a gasket is too much is say its time to hang it up.

The shop he was forced to use is a large corporate entity that probably has a "Risk Manager" on the payroll. Any of the A&Ps could have made a suitable gasket -- but their boss wouldn't let them.

Reason #132 not to use a large, corporate repair station. Not that the OP had any choice.

It's been a long time since I exercised my A&P privileges, but IIRC fabricated "parts" must meet or exceed the originals' strength, etc. So, if you don't know what the original design called for--you can't fabricate a new one anyway.

On the other hand, a little googling turned up this article by a FSDO inspector explaining that an "owner" can make his own parts. That jogged my memory of instances when new antique aircraft parts were made from drawings for things like Goodyear brakes, etc.: http://150cessna.tripod.com/parts.html
The owner of the OP's Arrow could make a gasket, but not the installing A&P. Why? A snippet of the article...
"Maintenance technicians must face a cold hard fact. Aircraft owners can make parts, but they cannot install them. Installing Owner Produced Parts is a maintenance function and only technicians can do that. That makes technicians the "gatekeepers" for parts and guardians against the introduction of substandard and unapproved parts into the fleet. Under this rule the responsibility is the technician’s to determine airworthiness before returning the product to service. There is no one else to shift the burden of blame to. The technician’s name is on the blame line."
Yeah, you can grab a sheet of cork and tap out a new gasket with your ball-peen hammer, but put it on your lawnmower not somebody's airplane. Here's yet another example of how the wrong gasket material has caused a crash: http://www.tcmlink.com/pdf2/MSB08-2B.pdf :
"The aircraft in the latter instance experienced a significant loss of power and misfiring while in flight. An off airport landing was made, resulting in considerable damage to the aircraft. ... Precision Airmotive has determined that the gasket p/n 365533 located between the hex plug p/n 383493 and the servo regulator cover can shrink from engine heat which can cause the hex plug to lose torque against the regulator cover."​
I just hope those who read comments from non-FAA certified "mechanics" take them with big grain of salt.

dtuuri

On the other hand, a little googling turned up this article by a FSDO inspector explaining that an "owner" can make his own parts. That jogged my memory of instances when new antique aircraft parts were made from drawings for things like Goodyear brakes, etc.: http://150cessna.tripod.com/parts.html
The owner of the OP's Arrow could make a gasket, but not the installing A&P. Why? A snippet of the article

You need to read the CHief Counsel's WHOLE opinion. The owner "making" his own part can be as little as drawing up the paper dimensioning and specifications and turning it over to a technician to manufacture. An extension of this opinion seems to be that the owner could have made a pencil sketch, turned it over to the mechanic who could have done the actual fabrication, handed it back to the owner who inspected it, handed it back to the mechanic who would have installed it.

Simple and legal answer to this horrendously complicated procedure you all have invented.

Jim

I am so glad that I have had the privilege of working with A&P mechanics in WI, IA, and TX who have chosen not to live their lives eternally in fear.

Of course, these guys have been around since the days when a cued prop would be straightened on the bench with a hammer, and put back in service. Once you've done that, I imagine making a gasket is pretty easy.

You need to read the CHief Counsel's WHOLE opinion. ... An extension of this opinion seems to be that the owner could have made a pencil sketch, turned it over to the mechanic who could have done the actual fabrication, handed it back to the owner who inspected it, handed it back to the mechanic who would have installed it.

Simple and legal answer to this horrendously complicated procedure you all have invented.

Jim

Me? I made this "complicated"? LOL! Those are your words above not mine.

Btw, I read the whole article before I posted it. The chief counsel was summarized well and everybody should read it. The point was the owner can make the part (however he chooses to have it done), but must show the mechanic the four characteristics of an approved part, including that it has been "memorialized" in the logbooks by the owner as an FAA-approved part:
1. The part must be properly designed. A properly designed part means that the part’s design is FAA approved. Depending on the complexity of the part, a FAA approved design will have the following elements:
  • Drawings, specifications to define the part’s configuration and design features.
  • Information on dimensions, materials, and processes necessary to define the structural strength of the product.
  • Airworthiness limitations and instructions for continued airworthiness.
  • Any other data necessary to allow by comparison, the determination of airworthiness of later products of the same type.
2. The part must be produced to conform to the design. A properly produced part means the part conforms to the FAA approved design. Usually a properly produced part will have the following characteristics:

• The part complies with all applicable structural requirements of its design.
  • The materials and products conform to the specifications in the design.
  • The part conforms to the drawings in the design.
  • The manufacturing processes, construction, and assembly of the part conform to those specified in the design.
3. The part’s production should be properly documented. A properly documented part provides evidence that the part was produced under an FAA approval and memorializes the production of the part.

4. The part must be properly maintained. A properly maintained part means that the part is maintained in accordance with the rules prescribed under FAR Part 43."​
Not something that's gonna happen on a Saturday, Sunday, Monday and Tuesday.

dtuuri

I am so glad that I have had the privilege of working with A&P mechanics in WI, IA, and TX who have chosen not to live their lives eternally in fear.

Of course, these guys have been around since the days when a cued prop would be straightened on the bench with a hammer, and put back in service. Once you've done that, I imagine making a gasket is pretty easy.

I know Ron here at our field would not leave someone hanging like that for a vacuum pump gasket. I've seen him make gaskets.

I know on Conti's one of the nuts on the pump is a devil. Ron MADE a tool for it.

KMSN sounds like not a place I want to break down. :nonod:

Last edited:
I know Ron here at our field would not leave someone hanging like that for a vacuum pump gasket. I've seen him make gaskets.

I know on Conti's one of the nuts on the pump is a devil. Ron MADE a tool for it.

I agree with most all that. If a mechanic has traveled the specific road before and got the green light from FSDO that a certain material meets the requirements then they're likely to take on more risk, especially if it's a mom & pop operation. And the truth is, if the pump was properly torqued all the way 'round even wax paper might work as a gasket. I'd be wondering if the real culprit here isn't somebody torquing a hard to reach nut with a screwdriver and a hammer rather than a torque wrench. But holding it against a mechanic who might only work on turbine aircraft and isn't familiar with prior "approved" art concerning this particular part (gasket or not, it has got a part number) or who works for a repair shop that might forbid taking on the risk is not fair. Besides, it was Saturday--maybe he had a wedding to go to. Maybe even his own? :dunno:

dtuuri

I agree with most all that. If a mechanic has traveled the specific road before and got the green light from FSDO that a certain material meets the requirements then they're likely to take on more risk, especially if it's a mom & pop operation. And the truth is, if the pump was properly torqued all the way 'round even wax paper might work as a gasket. I'd be wondering if the real culprit here isn't somebody torquing a hard to reach nut with a screwdriver and a hammer rather than a torque wrench. But holding it against a mechanic who might only work on turbine aircraft and isn't familiar with prior "approved" art concerning this particular part (gasket or not, it has got a part number) or who works for a repair shop that might forbid taking on the risk is not fair. Besides, it was Saturday--maybe he had a wedding to go to. Maybe even his own? :dunno:

dtuuri

If it was a Saturday in the AM, Ron would probably be there and would get the guy going if he wasn't on another breakdown or something extenuating already.

He's real accommodating to enroute breakdowns if he can do them quick.

Now if it's Sunday and you fly in, you may be toast.

After reading the link about the failed gasket, and since I am not a materials engineer, it will be no time soon I will make such a part. I errantly thought a gasket in that instance would not be of great significance.

Learn from others mistakes, you wont have time to make them all yourself.

Well, my trip to Oshkosh was a bust :(, although in hindsight it could have been worse :yikes:
Oshkosh is a challenging place to fly into no matter what. Seems to me that you were up to the challenge... unfortunately your aircraft wasn't.
You did good. Don't let this turn you off onto flying into AirVenture. You just have to do it X number of times. You won't always have X number of good experiences, but it should be close.:goofy:
Yep. As many others have said on this thread, you did real good.
Dang, you can pull a vacuum pump, make a gasket, re-install and be back up that quick?

Some of them have a nut on the back underside that is a ***** to get at without a special tool or a lot of luck even if you're a mechanic.

I want you around next time I ever break down! :yesnod:
Oh yeah, I learned how to make a gasket in high school small engine repair shop. Piece of cake. And cardboard can work most of the time.

But that 4th nut alone, at least on my engine, can take an hour or more if you are familiar with and have the right tool. As a new engine maintainer, it was my first major lesson in humililty because it took me DAYS!
I suspect he was being prudent. Here's a case where installing the cork gasket that came with the new pump caused a crash, see page 5: http://www.tc.gc.ca/media/documents/ca-publications/1_2004_1.pdf
dtuuri
Well, so much for the cardboard gasket. The good news for a small shop involved in such a chain of events and failure is that they don't have the deepest pockets. OTOH, It's another example of why Parker Hannefin's butt gets reamed so regularly that they used to mail an annual "you are using our vac pump at your own risk" package to all known users.

I'm thinking they are small enough not to have to bother with protection as they run naked thru the small business thickets. That's a good thing.

But read the gasket story. Since I used that pad to install a second alternator and my oil pressure pickup is still at the rear of my Lycoming, I'm going back through my documentation to make sure B&C didn't slip me a cork one (I'm sure they didn't but..).

Building a kit and maintaining a flying aircraft has given me enormous respect for aviation maintenance technicians and the industry.

It is on Lycs too. When I started researching the options available for that nut, I concluded that a special wrench was required, Snap-on charges $30-$60 for this single application wrench, and that any mechanic who has done this work either has the wrench or MADE a tool for it like Ron there.

I went down to my mechanic to ask how he does it and whether I could borrow his tool. No need, he just uses a screwdriver and a ball peen hammer for removal or installation. Yeah, it buggers the nut but just use a new one each time. Of course his hammers and his hands are calibrated. I need a torque wrench so...

I bought the tool and finished the job 3 days later.
dtuuri
A whole lotta truth and experience there.
After reading the link about the failed gasket, and since I am not a materials engineer, it will be no time soon I will make such a part. I errantly thought a gasket in that instance would not be of great significance.

Learn from others mistakes, you wont have time to make them all yourself.
Well said!

I was out in a podunk airport, no staff, no FBO, no mechanic, when I got a flat tire. Of course this was on a Sunday morning. I found some locals, asked them where I might find a mechanic, found a guy 50 miles away, called him at home. Bribed him to come out and help me. He brought an old tube circa WWII and got me going. I paid him $250, flew back to Addison, and paid another $700 to have all the tubes replaced with Airstops since the one I had failed due to a manufacturing defect. The alternative was to stay in OK over night. Take the tire/tube to a better equipped shop by car Monday morning. Still pay $200 to have it repaired. Drive back, reinstall, go home, and repeat the entire tube replacement when I got there.

I for one am grateful for mechanics that will just get the job done even if it is outside the FAR's. The ancillary cost in time and money is staggering when traveling by aircraft.

But read the gasket story. Since I used that pad to install a second alternator and my oil pressure pickup is still at the rear of my Lycoming, I'm going back through my documentation to make sure B&C didn't slip me a cork one (I'm sure they didn't but..).

Why in the world would anyone supply a cork gasket to go between two machined surfaces? So much for "aviation quality"...

I went down to my mechanic to ask how he does it and whether I could borrow his tool. No need, he just uses a screwdriver and a ball peen hammer for removal or installation. Yeah, it buggers the nut but just use a new one each time.

So much for the value of an A&P certificate.

:nonod:

I went down to my mechanic to ask how he does it and whether I could borrow his tool. No need, he just uses a screwdriver and a ball peen hammer for removal or installation. Yeah, it buggers the nut but just use a new one each time. Of course his hammers and his hands are calibrated. I need a torque wrench so...

I bought the tool and finished the job 3 days later.

A whole lotta truth and experience there.

Well said!
that guy is an idiot. And there is no need to buy anything, just take the right size wrench from your toolbox (better yet from your brother-in-law's toolbox), heat it up and bend it into the shape you need

Breakdown on the way to OSH. You didn't happen to fly thru Nebraska on the way there, did you? ;)

#OSHCurse = Nebraska. ;)

No Nebraska...just MO..IL..IA..WI, dodging cells along the way :)

I guess I updated FB but not buds here on POA.

Pre-Nebraska: Tractor broke. Fixed prior to departure. Warned the place we took it was expensive. Laughed at $67 bill.

On way to OSH: Apparently we busted a head gasket on Bubba the Dodge Cummins 5.9L diesel. Bubba also apparently didn't care too much and continued to pull a 12,500 lb trailer to OSH and back. Lost two gallons of coolant is all. Kept rolling. Awesome!

Got home, realized with Bubba headed to the shop but not knowing he was mortally wounded yet, decided to make sure Whitey (the Yukon) was ready to be used as a daily driver. Knew he had a slow air leak in the right rear tire. Took it in, not one, but two nails in the BFG All-Terrain KO. Repaired. Learned that (paperwork missing, replaced) those tires have 55,000 miles on them and rears are still 10/32 and fronts are 12/32. 4 years and 1 month. Amazing. Repair: Free.

Drive that truck home. Realize that there's a screw in the right front on the Subaru. Goodyear Triple-Tread Assurance tires dad put on it. Take it over. Screw is too close to sidewall but all tires still have 10/32 starting at 12/32 new, two years old. New right front. Road Hazard pays for it. $20.

Take Dodge to shop. Shop calls. Now stuff gets real. Ha.

Head gasket up near the water pump on the number 1 cylinder end (front). Talk about use of truck. Mostly towing not racing or showing off. Shop guy says "perfect" he knows how to set up the truck just right for the job. Great shop referral. Talk to owner about his logbook being ahead of mine in C-130s. Nice. 170 hours of it combat. Not so nice. (Thanks Greg!)

Custom shop says they can fix him. Reads through my laundry list of stuff. Tells me what I should and should not fix/bother with.

Standard Dodge steering problem, steering gearbox is shot. Steering rack is shot. Rear brakes are shot. Some metallic trash in front pumpkin from 4x4 shifting hard. Oil leak around vaccuum pump. Power steering pump may go two more years, may die tomorrow. I want *all* fluids replaced. One front wheel bearing going. Heh. Ok fine. I had most of this on my laundry list.

Shop owner says hybrid upgraded turbo is perfect for truck if wastegate had been done correctly. It probably blew the head gasket. Turbo on it is capable of pushing 65 lbs of boost but never ever run that high please, you have the "53" light case on your Cummins ISB. You'll crack the case. It's maxed out on performance mods and it'll pull great.

Computer is a perfect match for truck and engine. Just bad turbo implementation and a common mistake on this truck. Will match up all settings and reconfigure turbo properly while it's apart.

Recommended three piece exhaust manifold to finish off the "performance" setup and that's as much as this block will take. Don't push it any further.

Recommended getting rid of stupid valve cover that runs the breather back over the top of the engine to dump on the back of the engine and drivetrain. Knows correct parts to swap it for the 12 valve cover to put breather over the side where it belongs.

Some under hood wiring cleanup and fixed broken secondary trailer wiring and plug. Found boost sensor disconnected, computer is using engine computer data. Fixed.

Didn't like the AirDog pump installation. Common to delete the engine filter / water trap / fuel heater. This guy says leave it on. Sources a used one from someone taking theirs off on the Internet and puts it back.

Adding larger manual trans cover with cooling fins that will also hold a pint more trans fluid for cooling. His own truck has the NV5600 and a rebuild now costs $3800 just in parts. Says be nice to the trans and it'll be fine. Third and sixth gears are the ones that get stripped teeth. Don't slam it around.

Jokes that once the big Bubba toy truck is finished the aftermarket stuff he's using will outlast the Mopar parts by 100K miles. The truck will easily roll another 200K without needing anything but brakes, fluid changes, tires, and shocks at 100K.

A little sticker shock but all in, including buying the thing, I'm still 1/3 the price of new. Slightly less.

Ok. Free tires. Big truck bill. Fine. Head home.

Karen's truck starts a heater core leak! ROFL!

Day after that, the Subaru follows suit. OMFG. Really?!

Washboards are hell.

Karen calls. Doggy day care heard the big pup cough once and banned him from coming in because they're worried about a kennel cough outbreak. Call Vet. He's doing surgery on a horse and has horse/large livestock rounds the next morning. Can see him the next evening. Do that. Clean bill of health. Nothing wrong.

Karen starts hacking. Caught a cold singing the weekend after OSH with a few hundred of her closest friends.

I choose to sleep in same room. Dumb. Three days later I'm now hacking.

So.

We broke a tractor, three trucks, a car, a dog, and two humans. Karen has nicknamed August "Carmageddon" and told me tonight she's never coming home from a vacation ever again. LOL!

The OSHCurse gets more powerful every time I go through Nebraska. :) :) :)

The good news?

Airplane went thru Annual Inspection with flying colors. Passenger seat track cable got a little bound up after seat re installation but is fine after a little coaxing. No $950 aileron hinge surprised this year. LOL.

And I'm all ready to go do a BFR and have a head cold so bad I can't breathe and a cough that sounds like a recording of hell. Hahaha. Sheesh.

Found a great mechanic for the truck. Dodges only. Diesels only. Performance mods and fixing standard Dodge silliness his specialty. Dog guy. Airplane guy. First time I've looked forward to paying an auto mechanic in decades because I know it'll be done right.

Already know the best Subaru shop in town. That'll be a no brainer. Two brothers who only do Subarus and nothing else. Actually I don't mind paying them either.

Karen's Ford. Now that's a problem. Hunting for best place to take it. No enthused about standard Ford heater core replacement. Step one, remove entire dash. Step two, remove four screws holding heater core to firewall and replace. Step three, spend rest of day cussing at dash trying to get it back in place. Step four, realize you missed plugging in one connector behind dash. Step five, cry. Step six, renove dash again. Etc. Ha.

Oh. Forgot to mention. I'm looking at Karen's truck in the sunlight and she's not very observant about these things...

"Did you notice all the hail damage from that storm you said didn't cause any damage that you drove through a couple months ago? The entire hood is covered in dents, here let's see... Yeah. The roof is worse."

ROFLMAO. It's been a fun week and it's only hump day.

Back