My 1959 Cessna 182B

If you don't mind me asking, just how much more was the straight tail compared to a slant tail? I've always loved straight tails, even the cramped 172s.

How much more expensive to maintain? I never had a slant tail, so not sure. The maintenance expenses are probably highly variable from airplane to airplane as well. It was about $6k per year to maintain our 182B including the annual and oil changes (oil done by me). In the 2 years I had it we had to overhaul the airbox, overhaul the carb, refresh the magnetos, replace a fuel bladder, replace a pilot seat, overhaul the nose gear, replace a main gear tire, replace the cowl flap control, and replace the mixture control. That's just the stuff that broke through no fault of the the pilots, because there was more if you consider that. There are probably a bunch of other issues I'm forgetting. I know people on here will say these expenses are child's play, but I'm not insanely wealthy like some.

As others said, it's because some of the later models only had the opening window on the left. For me, it's important that both windows open so I can shoot air-to-air from both sides. Makes it a pretty good photo plane!

The openable co-pilot window was an option all through the years as far as I can tell. It was just not very popular in the early to mid 60's for some reason. Maybe because it cost an additional $13 (I have a price list somewhere). But I guess that was like a house payment back then. Today it won't buy you lunch - and I know a lot of us would give a lot of lunches to have one. I recall seeing a '62 182 E model for sale not that long ago with both the openable co-pilot window and the long range fuel tanks. Truly a unicorn for that model year. Some guy must have ordered one up and asked for every option in the book. Ten years later it would be unusual to not have both of those options.

C.

Sounds like the same plane! It does have the new leather smell! The avionics are okay, 430 Non-WAAS, Stratus transponder, and it has an auto pilot. The owner I bought it from spared no expense. He thought his brother was going to buy it, so he wanted everything perfect. The seats do have a little too much padding, making me feel like I have to duck my head slightly sometimes, but wasn't a deal breaker for me.

Not sure. I know the prop is brand new. I'm assuming it was added then.

As others said, it's because some of the later models only had the opening window on the left. For me, it's important that both windows open so I can shoot air-to-air from both sides. Makes it a pretty good photo plane!

I will! I have to get some better photos. The panel is the one thing I'm not happy with. Luckily I've got a friend who is already working on a new layout for me!

Then it must be a different plane. The plane I saw here was sold and within a week was put on the market for either 35K or 45K more than the asking price here. Unless that was you?

Then it must be a different plane. The plane I saw here was sold and within a week was put on the market for either 35K or 45K more than the asking price here. Unless that was you?
I wouldn't doubt that happened. It came from North Carolina and I don't think the guy I bought it from had it very long. He and his brother both bought 182s and were going to put big tires on them, but changed their minds. Then it was listed for sale, but pulled off of the market while the engine was rebuilt. I got it when it was relisted.

Back