MX20 vs. EX500

Richman67

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Richman67
Hi all,

Just idling thinking about the dream panel....

Does anyone have any experience with the Avidyne system? Lot's of people gush about the MX20, but I haven't heard much about the EX500.

Seems like the EX500 with the XM WX is less expensive than the MX20 with the -69 datalink XM system, but often there is a reason for a big price difference like that.

Personally, I'd go with a MFD (brand depends), and a 430, plus the SL-30 Navcom, a GTX-330 and I would leave the ADF and the DME at home.

Ahhhh, dreaming is fun ...

Best,
Rich

Rich:

Depends a lot on what type flying you do. For what you use the systems. What you have familiarity with, and who has the latest technological advance.

Several of my friends prefer the MX20 with the 480. You have the new WAAS capability; airways are displayed and it's much like a flight management system. Of course, a lot can be displayed on the MX20. I know others that just don't like the 480.

The Garmin stack also has it's advantages, but several of the upgrades are pretty expensive. A 530/430 combination gives a lot of capability but TAAWS is an expensive upgrade; they had trouble with their satellite weather. They say it's fixed, but it's an upgrade. You know they'll be around and competitive, but check pricing.

The EX500 system seemed like it was a little behind before, but made several recent announcements that shows they are competitive and have more systems. Some accidents seem to be attributable to their new glass panel failing; so, check out reliability.

You really need to dig in, see what you will do with the systems and find out how to use them. I have a friend that loves his 500; however, I've found he flies much differently than me.

In Lance's Baron, some systems will display his radar system; other won't. There are interfaces with your HSI and other components.

So the answer to me is: it all depends. They each seem to be good systems, but each has little things that are different and are more suitable for some than others. You also have to see how it will interface with what's already on the plane.

Best,

Dave
A-36TN ADS

One great way to answer this question for one's own requirements is to go to the bigger shows where these vendors exhibit. I did this at Sun n Fun last week, where I did some serious comparing of MFDs. All these neat boxes are there, powered up with demo programs so you can play with them "hands on". The technical experts are there to answer questions. There's literature available for later studying (or just to drool over.) You can go from one booth the the next to compare and contrast. The next opportunity is probably Oshkosh and then AOPA's Expo.

Back