mx cost shootout: Comanche vs. Bonanza

GeorgeC

Administrator
Management Council Member
Display Name

Display name:
GeorgeC
I've read here that Beechcraft parts are expensive. I've also read the (OWT?) that Comanche parts can be hard to find.

At the end of the day, which is cheaper to maintain?

Meh....I do maintenance on both. I'd say bout the same. Each have their issues. As an IA I'd say the Comanche get's the slight advantage....it's easier to work on.

A good Comanche will be cheaper than a ratty Bonanza and vice versa. Bonanzas are in production for 60 years, getting parts for some of the early ones isn't a picknick either.

The Comanche gear system looks nice:

the Comanche has gear bungees that get replaced every 3 years.....

The bungees are about $20 a set, installation is about 20 mins per side using the Bogert tool, which is about $90. I do mine every 2 years.

The "common knowledge" is that Bonanza parts are more expensive but don't need replacement as often so the long term costs are probably pretty close unless you're extra hard on airplanes or just unlucky. And while Beech's prices for some parts will take your breath away, most of the things that break (vs wear out) are available from aircraft salvage yards at a much more reasonable price. I'd guess that used parts are much more readily available for Bonanzas than Comanches because there were many more of the former built.

Back