Musings on glider transponders

What do some of the glider-suitable transponders cost? What power do they draw?

There is almost no point in installing a Mode C transponder since they will be obsolete in 6 years. That means installing an ADS-B compatible transponder. My last quote was about $2300 for just the transponder not including installation. There are only about 2 that are small enough and have low enough power drain to be used in a glider (Trig and Becker)

Next problem, glider cockpits are very small and finding a place to put one and the associated antenna can be challenging. The antenna in particular can be challenging to find a location that it will not be damaged during loading and unloading into the glider trailer. However I will admit this isn't a show stopper but it may mean prioritizing what you want in the panel, and can increase installation costs as other components have to be moved, miniaturized or removed.

The bigger problem is that it is always easy to tell the other guy how to spend his money. Like Jesse and his flybaby it is hard to justify installing a $3000 transponder in a $9000 aircraft. In my case my flying budget is between $1200 and $2000 per year (~75hrs/year), so installing a transponder essentially blows my flying budget for the next two years.

Now don't get me wrong, most glider pilots are all for collision avoidance equipment/transponders. From the glider perspective our biggest collision threat is other gliders. Two this end a large majority of the gliders in the past few years have installed a device called PowerFLARM. Why this instead of transponders...
1. it is 1/3 to 1/2 the price of an installed ADS B transponder.
2. it provides tracking and collision avoidance of all other Powerflarm equipped aircraft within a radius of about 6 miles.
3. it has PCAS capability, so it will display and warn about transponder and ADS-B equiped aircraft in the vicinity.
4. It provides a GPS output for other glider instruments and is a flight recorder recorder glider position and altitude.
Summary, it provides a lot of information and capability to the pilot where the transponder provides almost none (for gliders and where we normally fly).

I am all for transponders in gliders. If you can figure out how I can get one installed for less then 10% of the value of my glider, I will seriously consider installing one.

Until then I will be watching for you, and your transponder will show up on my PowerFlarm.

Brian
HP16T

Attachments

• IMG_0896.JPG
    IMG_0896.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Back