Music in the cockpit....

Music in the cockpit, what say you?

• Sure, why not.

Votes: 18 37.5%
  • Only out in the boonies.

Votes: 11 22.9%
  • Only if it's my kind of music!

Votes: 10 20.8%
  • Not in my cockpit you don't! We don't need any added distractions in the cockpit.

Votes: 14 29.2%

• Total voters

T Bone

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
T Bone
Just wondering what folks here think of some type of music (MP3, CD, XM Radio, etc) piped into the headset while flying?

T Bone said:
Just wondering what folks here think of some type of music (MP3, CD, XM Radio, etc) piped into the headset while flying?

Your music, my music, or my teenage son's music?:goofy:

'Most cockpit music is good, as long as it's ~2400 beats per minute or faster...

See poll above :) ( wasn't there when you answered, it comes up after you hit submit when creating the poll for some reason)! :D

T Bone said:
iPod into my stereo headset. Fades out with receiving and transmitting.

Music will vary with my moods. If I'm doing something new with acro or spins, I will listen to something that will calm me down and help me be centered and wistful and philosophical and hopefully not as scared.

If I need to be more aggressive with the airplane doing acro, I will play head-bangin', foot stompin', stick jerkin' music.

If Tom is flying with me, I will play whatever makes him happy. :)

Steve said:
I would have thought you plugged in the sound track to IRON EAGLE when doing aerobatics.

Worked for the kid..
Oh, now I must scurry around and find that music. It must be good. Will it also make me feel young again? ;)

My airplane came from the factory in 1967 with a stereo which has since been upgraded to a 12-CD changer/Tape/AM/FM.

No one here would like my music.

Ghery said:
Whatever I can find with the ADF. :D
Oh, that brings back good memories!

I flew to KU to pick up my son to bring him home for Christmas on Christmas Day. It was VERY cold. No one else in their right mind was flying. Tom preheated the Skyhawk for me.

I flew my son home to the farm. We listened to Christmas carols on the AM station over the ADF and sang along. Just the two of us on a cold Christmas Day. We will both remember that day as being very special.

Let'sgoflying! said:
My airplane came from the factory in 1967 with a stereo which has since been upgraded to a 12-CD changer/Tape/AM/FM.

No one here would like my music.
Dave, what kind of music?

I fly to get away from the lame pettyness of the self indulgence groundlings world that's beneath me and there's no way that nonsense is going to find it's way into my plane.

Airplane sounds only as it should be.

Occasionally on long comfortable fun XC's when I'm in the right mood, I have been known to set the VOR volume way low so you can only faintly hear the voice (sometimes) and identifer way way in the background. Distant morse code beeps from the horizon beconing me on to new interesting and yet to be discovered places.
Ha! Try that with your fangdangled GPS contraptions sometime...

T Bone said:

It depends on what I'm doing and how the sound system is rigged in. If I'm on a VFR X/C not talking to anybody, sure no problem. If I'm working a field, no, it easy enough to lose your focus going back and forth an back and forth.... plus at that altitude, I wanna hear every hiccup and fart that the plane makes.

Diana said:
iPod into my stereo headset. Fades out with receiving and transmitting......

Ditto.

Although east of the Mississippi the transmissions are so frequent that to me it's hardly worth it to listen to music because of the interruptions.

Every night my cd/mp3 is blasting throught my 20XLc's

I don't do the soft mute. I have no problem hearing ATC through it.

Tonight......... Best of the 80's new wave & Chopin Polonaise # 3 and maybe # 6 if there is time :) :) :)

Today was....... Carol King, Ella Fitzgerald, Billie Holiday, Carly Simon & Randy Newman.

Last night was........ Linkin Park, King missile, Bloodhound gang, 311, Blink 182 & Ozzy

Yesterday was.......... P Funk, The Sugar Hill Gang, Eric B & Rakim, LL Cool J, Grandmaster Flash & Ja rule.

Can't really pick one of the above answers exclusively. I'm kind of with Henning and those who said yeah, sometimes, if it's otherwise quiet, and I'm just droning along. When we flew out to the west coast a couple of years ago, we were VFR all the way, and out across the Great Plains and up to the foot of the Rockies, well below any available radar coverage, having some country music on the AM radio (ADF) was pretty nice (I've got a printout of all the AM country stations in the USA somewhere). I'm currently seriously considering a little portable XM radio that can be plugged into the audio jack of the intercom system for that reason -- especially if there's a muting circuit for when someone talks on the radio or intercom. But for my usual flying, working IFR in/near the Washington ADIZ, VFR in the FRZ, or in a 4-ship formation? No stinkin' way. The only thing I want up on the headset besides ATC for the sector I'm in is 121.5, which is now ALWAYS on the #2 radio from takeoff to touchdown.

Eamon said:
Every night my cd/mp3 is blasting throught my 20XLc's

I don't do the soft mute. I have no problem hearing ATC through it.

Tonight......... Best of the 80's new wave & Chopin Polonaise # 3 and maybe # 6 if there is time :) :) :)

Today was....... Carol King, Ella Fitzgerald, Billie Holiday, Carly Simon & Randy Newman.

Last night was........ Linkin Park, King missile, Bloodhound gang, 311, Blink 182 & Ozzy

Yesterday was.......... P Funk, The Sugar Hill Gang, Eric B & Rakim, LL Cool J, Grandmaster Flash & Ja rule.
You've got a very wide range!

Ron Levy said:
The only thing I want up on the headset besides ATC for the sector I'm in is 121.5, which is now ALWAYS on the #2 radio from takeoff to touchdown.
Hmm. #2 radio ... I gotta get me one of those one of these days ... ;)

I'm thinking of a new audio panel for the plane sooner rather than later. The one I'm considering supports both a crew and passenger audio system (as well as cell phone input). I plan on having two input jacks for external audio as well as the cell phone connection.

I think the audio for the kids (typical back seat passengers) will be great though I doubt that I'd use the crew audio input. If I understand the switchology of the audio panel correctly Karen (typical front right seat passenger) could use the crew audio and I could bypass the musit input by selecting pilot isolate. This way kids could listen to one audio input and Karen could listen to another.

I'm thinking a portable DVD player for the kids in the back seat will help on longer trips.

Len

Len Lanetti said:
I'm thinking of a new audio panel for the plane sooner rather than later. The one I'm considering supports both a crew and passenger audio system (as well as cell phone input). I plan on having two input jacks for external audio as well as the cell phone connection.

I think the audio for the kids (typical back seat passengers) will be great though I doubt that I'd use the crew audio input. If I understand the switchology of the audio panel correctly Karen (typical front right seat passenger) could use the crew audio and I could bypass the musit input by selecting pilot isolate. This way kids could listen to one audio input and Karen could listen to another.

I'm thinking a portable DVD player for the kids in the back seat will help on longer trips.

Len

I have the PS6000 wired this way in both the 182 & the musketeer. Both are wired with 2 place in front & 3 place in the back for the kids. The split works great for the kids.

Ken Ibold said:
Hmm. #2 radio ... I gotta get me one of those one of these days

Funny, with the flip flop capability of the KX155s installed in my aircraft I hardly use my #2 com radio. Pretty much the #2 has an ATIS frequency in one window and, these days, 121.5 in the other.

If the plane I owned only had one com radio, for VFR use, I'd seriously consider a second antenna lead and a handheld radio as my #2 com radio.

Len

I just put the ear buds underneath my headsets and it doesnt have to fade out every time Center calls me. I just dont blast it so I cannot hear Center. This will work unless you are doing acro. We run Bose in the jets and I have Flightcom ANR's (yes, I know they are old) for the real airplanes (props).

My MP3 player has just about everything. I have Christian, Rock, Rap, Opera, Country, Movie Soundtracks, Jazz, Blues, etc. I can do without a TV but I gotta have my music.

Brent

river_rat said:
Oh what is the name of that song, um, oh, Detachable something or other. :dunno: :rofl:
LOL................. I checked the medicine cabnet, cause sometimes i put it there ........ LOL LOL

There is was laying next to a broken toaster, He wansted 22 but i offered him $17 LOL

I LOVE that song

My Heart is a flower is even better, But less known.. Google it :)

2 favorite aviation-music memories:

First helo lesson, doors off, it's 90F and we are 50 AGL over the ocean, listening to the Doors "LA Woman"

Next, flying in the Mouse with Eamon after a TSRA at HFD. We were listening to 311, although it may have been Live, but I can't quite remember.

Cheers,

-Andrew

astanley said:
2 favorite aviation-music memories:

First helo lesson, doors off, it's 90F and we are 50 AGL over the ocean, listening to the Doors "LA Woman"

Next, flying in the Mouse with Eamon after a TSRA at HFD. We were listening to 311, although it may have been Live, but I can't quite remember.

Cheers,

-Andrew

LOL Ah Yea, The only way to top it would be to also be sipping a nice glass of Maker's Mark with some Makerson's XXX on the side................ Oh, But then we wouldn't be flying in the air............................

I miss the NE :(

Andrew, Come on down to New Orleans some weekend :)

Eamon said:
LOL Ah Yea, The only way to top it would be to also be sipping a nice glass of Maker's Mark with some Makerson's XXX on the side................ Oh, But then we wouldn't be flying in the air............................

I miss the NE :(

Andrew, Come on down to New Orleans some weekend :)

Eamon, I'd love to... how much money should I reserve in Boston for bail?? :goofy:

Cheers,

-Andrew

Ed Guthrie said:
I have a couple of their CDs. Nice music.

She has a 'hauntingly beautiful' voice i think.
Some kind of pain there, possibly.

The poll mentions music as a distraction... some places out here it is the opposite, keeps you awake. Go to 12000' from w Texas 4hrs to Colorado or Az etc, you will not likely see another plane, center is pretty dead, its just you and either the rocks or the clouds!

My wife like irish but hers is more the folk irish Delores Keaton Kate Rusby(?)
Ah well, "Pilot Iso"! (we each get 6 of the 12 CD spaces; Im fair:))

confession: I like dance rock. not disco though

astanley said:
Eamon, I'd love to... how much money should I reserve in Boston for bail?? :goofy:

Cheers,

-Andrew

Normal station house bail is $500, Not that I would know this :no:

:cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers:

Back