Murphey sed it's time to grill - Denver

Clark1961

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Display name:
So pick a day, either the 23rd or 24th and we'll go from there.

Location: FTG or elsewhere around Denver. A grill is available at FTG.
Time: after noonish
Day: TBD

Have we checked the weather for a snow forecast recently? :)

I have to teach a small portion of a CAP class on the 23rd. Late morning. Shouldn't interfere with afternoon plans. 24th is currently open.

Murph sent me a note yesterday and asked if we'd picked a day. I told her I wasn't in charge. Not my thread. :) Bump.

Let's make it Saturday then.

Airplane may be in COS... but we can drive over... need to check with the Mrs to see what her plans are.

How does 1 pm (ish) at my hangar work for folks?

I'll bring burgers and beef brats and have water & soft drinks in the fridge. Mari & Murphey always seem to figure out what else is needed. So...that just leaves a chair and humorus quips for other folks :wink2:

How does 1 pm (ish) at my hangar work for folks?

I'll bring burgers and beef brats and have water & soft drinks in the fridge. Mari & Murphey always seem to figure out what else is needed. So...that just leaves a chair and humorus quips for other folks :wink2:
So far looking OK for me at that time but it is another one of those "available" days.

So far looking OK for me at that time but it is another one of those "available" days.
Unfortunately, I'm already booked for Saturday...But I'll stop by in the afternoon to see if anyone is still around. And to see if the transponder has stopped acting wonky. Got a borrowed replacement to do testing, just haven't had time. Work really gets in the way of life.

And the commute to the Springs is getting old really fast. The Denver office was supposed to come on-line next week. Latest news is mid-July. On the other hand, I don't have to worry about digging into savings (or even making that decision) to pay for airplane stuff.

Hey... Murph got a job! I hadn't heard... congrats. Sucky commute, but at least there's light at the end of the tunnel on that part.

No complaining unless they start making noises like they're going to hang you with a used rope. Demand a nice clean new one. :)

94F Saturday... sounds like nice snow weather. :)

See y'all there unless something stupid comes up. Karen has something listed on her calendar around 10AM but I think she'll be game too... unless whatever that is runs really really long.

I'm also on-call, I think. Getting to where I can't remember with only one week on, one week off... I just figure anyone can call at any time, since the "other" on-call guy might have just worked all night and may not answer his phone...

Unfortunately, I'm already booked for Saturday...But I'll stop by in the afternoon to see if anyone is still around.
How can you not come to the BBQ you suggested? :rofl:

I'm out now too.

CAP got asked to fly Fire-watch missions tomorrow through this weekend due to the dry weather and Red Flag Warnings for one of the County Sheriffs.

I'm playing the role of Communciations guy, but I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Shall we reschedule for next weekend? Altho june 30 is the Kelly Airpark flyin, we could use Sunday as the BBQ

Or July 4th... Folks probably have stuff to do that day, though?

The 4th is fine with me. I'm looking at the temps for this weekend...this is why I left Phoenix!!! Over 100 starting today (friday) and thru the weekend.

On the other hand, it would be in keeping with our tradition of BBQ in extreme weather.

Either Sunday the 30th or 4th of July are equal possibilities for me. Saturday the 29th I will be busy for sure.

I agree about the weather. I don't think I could bring enough ice to combat 100 degree temperatures.

Either Sunday the 30th or 4th of July are equal possibilities for me. Saturday the 29th I will be busy for sure.

I agree about the weather. I don't think I could bring enough ice to combat 100 degree temperatures.

Sunday the 30th works for me. If I can "borrow" the big evap cooler from one of the EAA hangars, we'd be very comfy.

The 30th is a Saturday? I might be able to do Sat the 30th, definitely can do Sun the 1st. Unfortunately I'm back to work on the 3rd, though, and gone for the week.

Last edited:
So we're canceled for this weekend?

I could use a safety pilot if anyone wants to fly. (left turn on topic)

The 30th is a Saturday? I might be able to do Sat the 30th, definitely can do Sun the 1st. Unfortunately I'm back to work on the 3rd, though, and gone for the week.
Oh wait, I got the days screwed up again. :redface:

You're right the 30th is a Saturday. I can possibly do Sunday the 1st but not Saturday the 30th.

Hate to say, but I'm glad we cancelled. I had an amazing day.

Sadly I can't divulge 100% of why.

But let's just say it was the first time I ever had a legitimate reason (and permission!) to be (just barely inside on top and well out of the way) inside a firefighting TFR today. I was not PIC. But I was busy.

I have a newfound (even bigger than before) respect for the firefighting aircraft and crews.

Briefly saw some nice flying I'll probably never see again.

**** hot flying. Seriously.

I believe from scouring Internet photos, it was Tanker 44.

I was too busy doing my job and then getting the Hades out of there to ID them.

Just keep 'em in sight and get out. In sight in smoke is, ummm... entertaining.

Or maybe a better word is difficult but manageable with extra eyeballs.

And I do mean HOT. Our takeoff to get there was 37C, 29.97, at 5885' on the ground.

Temperature inversion up through 8500' MSL meant it was 40C on the OAT gauge there. Calculated DA puts that around 13,000', and we had to go higher.

Whew. Chicken roaster.

Luckily it got a lot cooler aloft. We were appreciating having a turbo today.

Good luck to the fire crews. Nice flying. Whoever you are.

First time I've ever had to clean soot balls off of leading edges and windshield post-flight, too.

Oh, and birds, bugs, and everything else are found at altitudes they're not normally at. Cleaned lots of bugs and saw a lot of birds.

Holy crap that was fun. And hopefully the requested job was very helpful to the folks who said "go" and bought the avgas.

We popped a number more fires here today in Colorado, and it's not forecast to even have a chance of thunderstorms with precip until Friday.

They could help or they could hurt. :(

Pray for rain and no wind. It's ugly out here.

So what are we thinking? This weekend? 4th of July?

Tomorrow (Saturday) is definitely out for me.

So what are we thinking? This weekend? 4th of July?

Tomorrow (Saturday) is definitely out for me.

As much as I'd like to go to Leadville for the flyin there, I'd be driving and the traffic coming back to Denver will be miserable. So, July 4 is fine with me.

Karen is out for the 4th. Barbershop quartets are always in demand for patriotic things...

But I'm around. Dad says he's coming in from the boonies perhaps, and I'm tempted to hijack him out to the airport with me.

And of course, CAP stuff could still be going on, but it has mellowed for me for now...

RV packed up and we're heading to some where cooler, higher and hopefully not on fire for the week over the 4th.

I work the 3rd through the 10th. Any time that isn't that week, I'm game. And if y'all get together without me, Clark can tell you some funny stories about me trying to wrap my head around the concept of 70kts. :rofl::hairraise:

*bump*

Do we have a decision about July 4? Where? When? Who's bringing what?

Sounds like a number of folks are gone, but if my dad's game, I'd meet up somewhere. I'll ask him tomorrow/today. (Body clock still totally FUBAR after last "week from hell". Stupid PCI audit and bad info -- the "fun" continued into both weekend days.)

*bump*

Do we have a decision about July 4? Where? When? Who's bringing what?
Wasn't this your suggestion? :D

You name the time and place. I'm off that day (unless I hear otherwise).

If nobody else offers...

My hangar, afternoon. I'll bring the usual burgers and brats.

I may be flying in the morning. So we may just pop in and out after that.

I'm free all day on the 4th, except for the evening. I can bring... other stuff.

I got dibs on dessert....

And the water is on, I have a hose in the hangar so we can wash airplanes if you'd like.

Back